PDA

View Full Version : Perfromax 16/32 is the greatest invention ever.

keith micinski
11-10-2010, 7:15 PM
I recently saw a thread where the post asked what people were using there drum sanders for and if they were useful. I just happen to buy one off of craigslist and my answer is that I use it for EVERYTHING! The dust collection is about 99%, the paper is easy to change out, it rolls over out of the way and takes up almost no space when I am not using it and when I do can put 150 paper on it and the parts come out almost ready for finish. So far every piece I have cut has run threw there and I couldn't be any happier if I was paid to be.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2010, 7:35 PM
Have you run stock wider than 16" through it? Did it leave a slight bump at the edge of the drum? That has been my biggest concern over getting an open sided drum sander. Thanks for the report on your success with the machine!

Will Overton
11-10-2010, 7:41 PM
Perfromax 16/32 is the greatest invention ever.

Nonsense ... the coffee maker is!

But, the 16-32 runs a close second. ;)

John Coloccia
11-10-2010, 7:46 PM
Have you run stock wider than 16" through it? Did it leave a slight bump at the edge of the drum? That has been my biggest concern over getting an open sided drum sander. Thanks for the report on your success with the machine!

You can kick the end of the drum up a couple of thousandth and end up with a feathered edge.

Robyn Horton
11-10-2010, 8:34 PM
I'm with John .... up a couple thousands on the outside end and it will be great

Van Huskey
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know if I would go that far, but Performax revolutionized the small flat sander market.

keith micinski
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM

I bought it used wondering how much time I was going to have to spend on the set up and even found a web site about how to tune the sander up. I went ahead and ran a few test pieces threw it before I did anything just to see where it was at. I must have got lucky because the previous owner had it set up perfectly. There was no ridge and there wasn't any noticeable taper either. I was really expecting it to leave a little area that needed cleaned up and was going to be ok with that but the finished product exceeded my expectations by a large amount. I will say this thing is by no means a speed demon and takes me longer then I would want on the cutting boards I am currently working on but the end result is so much better then what I was getting doing them by hand with a belt sander. I am assuming the fact that I am sanding end grain makes it a little harder and I am also using the left over paper the previous owner had. I am sure I need to get some new paper and I really think that would speed things up a bit. I have a bad habit of trying to use sand paper way past its useful life and even though I recognize that, I can't quite seem to kick the habit.

Will Overton
11-11-2010, 6:50 AM
I really think that would speed things up a bit.

Don't get your expectations too high as far as speed goes. These machines are slow and trying to speed up the process will no doubt cause you grief.

Relax, be patient, and your love affair with this machine will last a long, long time.

glenn bradley
11-11-2010, 8:27 AM
Great info Keith, thanks. I now have two sanders I wish I had room for ;-) Congrats on a great tool.

Neil Brooks
11-11-2010, 9:55 AM
I'm partial to the wedge, the inclined plane, the wheel, and fire, but ... I take your point :D

May want to consider this ... since you like things to go through the 16-32 in a jiffy [note: I got the original idea from other Creekers' old posts !]:

I bought a Panel-Mount AC Ammeter and a Radio Shack plastic project box.

When I get a Round Tuit, I'll wire the ammeter inline, and mount the box on the sander, somewhere.

My model has a circuit breaker. Should be A-OK, as long as I run <=14A.

Having an ammeter will allow me to get greedy, if -- for some unknown reason -- I feel compelled to, without tripping the circuit breaker.

Cost: a few bucks and a bit of time.....

Enjoy !

Craig D Peltier
11-11-2010, 9:57 AM
I had the 16-32 and used it alot, I thought it was underpowered ( I know it was only 110).I was running alot of face frames and draw faces through it. I wouldnt even think of throwing anything big through it. I upgraded to a 15" open ended grizzly 5hp 220v. No bogging or tripping of breaker, eats large boards for lunch. Easier paper replacement and no burn on the paper edges ever.

keith micinski
11-11-2010, 7:44 PM
The new paper made a world of difference. It is no speed demon but boy does it do a nice job.