PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance needs for lasers

Josh Richard
11-10-2010, 7:14 PM
I have a 30 watt Gravograph LS 100 laser that is used an average of 5 hours a week, 9 months out of the year. We are mostly engraving & cutting acrylic, 1/8” ply, marking with Cermark and cutting and paper. Other than lens and mirror cleaning, what types of maintenance schedule do I need to perform?

Will I need to replace the laser tube or some type of CO2 refill? If so, how much will that type of thing cost?

Thanks for your help!
Josh

Larry Bratton
11-10-2010, 7:58 PM
Josh:
Not a huge amount of maintenance required. With a laser, keeping the optics clean is of paramount importance for performance. Suggest you read the manual that came with the machine for the mfgs recommendations. Yes, at some time, the tube will have to be replaced. That is the scary thing about these devices, the tube may last for years and years and on the other hand it may die tomorrow. Usually though, one will begin to experience a loss in power and performance when this is about to occur. As to cost, I have no idea what Gravograph charges for a 30 watt tube. Prices vary between different manufacturers and can run over $2000 in some cases. Best to check with them for info on that issue.

paul mott
11-11-2010, 3:33 AM
Josh,

Stan's post here may be of interest to you also.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151444

Paul.

Dallas Traina
11-12-2010, 5:14 PM
Josh,
Keeping your optics clean using the proper lens cleaning solution is very important. Also regularly wipe down the engraving table to keep it free of debris. Additionally, you can wipe the table's lead screws and X axis linear guide rails with a damp cloth and apply a small amount of fresh lubricant, preferably a thicker all purpose grease once or twice a year. Keeping the suction vent free of build up is also recommended to maintain maximum airflow to any exhaust system you’re using. The best way to clean this out is to disconnect the hose from the back of the laser and clean out the inside.

Gradual loss of power may be a sign that your laser tube may need a recharge or replacement.