PDA

View Full Version : Bridgewood 15" Planer

Mike Murphy
11-10-2010, 6:56 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Bridgewood Model BW-15p planer from a older gentleman who can no longer use his shop. He wants $400 and it includes 3 sets of knives. He ran some boards through for me and it seems to run great. 3hp, 15" heavy machine. My concern is parts availability if something were to break??

Does anyone ave advice or experience with this machine?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Logan William
11-10-2010, 7:12 PM
check OWWM.com for information related to that machine in their machine registry, OWWM.org is a forum for those of us who love old iron, will have to join in order to see most of the forum.

Steven Satur
11-10-2010, 7:21 PM
This is not a OWWM, so they won't help you. Wilke Machinery in York Pa. stopped selling Bridgewood a few years ago. I think they were the only dealer for them. I think they still sell parts for them. They made some very good machines at the time. I don't know why they are no longer made.

Wilke's phone number is 717-764-5000

Steve.

Matt Meiser
11-10-2010, 7:49 PM
Bridgewood was just another name for imported Taiwanese machinery and sold the ubiquitous 15" planer. In the fairly unlikely event you did break something, you could probably source it from one of the other sellers of similar machines.

Stephen Cherry
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Bridgewood was just another name for imported Taiwanese machinery and sold the ubiquitous 15" planer. In the fairly unlikely event you did break something, you could probably source it from one of the other sellers of similar machines.

I have the same planer, but it has jet written on it. Fine woodworking did an article on these machines a long time ago, and said a bunch of companies offered just about the same machine.

For 400 dollars, you can't go wrong.

Van Huskey
11-10-2010, 10:45 PM

In this case the planer is most probably a product of the Chiu Ting factory that did most of the 15" planers at the time the BWs were imported.

Just a FYI not ALL Bridgewoods were Asian imports, their upper line of bandsaws were built by ACM in Italy and were quite good.

Dave Lehnert
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
That model was recommended by Popular Woodworking in a 2008 article.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Thickness_Planers1/

If It is in good shape, I would consider it at $400. Bridgewood was considered a quality tool. Check it out for sure but think they installed USA motors on a lot of their equipment.

Mike Murphy
11-11-2010, 7:33 AM
Yes, it has an American made motor. Looks like it might have been a replacment because there is a yellow tag stapled to the owners manual stating: Wilkes Machinery, New 3HP American motor installed 3-6-90. Even has the name and signiture of the installer from Wilkes.:)

Matt Meiser
11-11-2010, 8:25 AM
They installed the US motors at their place in York PA.

Zach Callum
11-11-2010, 9:11 AM
Wondering if this is similar to the "autoplaner"? There are at least 4 of those for sale in my area currently.

Matt Day
11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd buy it for $400. I have a bridgewood cabinet saw and it's been great so would be happy with a plander from them. In fact I've been keeping my eye out for a new planer like that!

Ken Garlock
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Mike, welcome to the Creek.:)

I have the Bridgewood cabinet saw that I bought new from Wilke Machinery (http://www.chwilke.com/), in York Pa. Wilke still services the machines they sold under the Bridgewood brand.

I would not hesitate to buy a Bridgewood machine.

BTW, I bought the Bridgewood saw because it was a double for the PM-66. Wilke had their saw and a PM-66 in their showroom for customers to compare the internals.

Rob Cunningham
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I've had a Bridgewood 15P for 6 years. It's a pretty solid machine. I haven't had any trouble with it and have planed thousands of feet of hardwood. I say go for it.

Mike Murphy
11-12-2010, 7:27 AM
Wondering if this is similar to the "autoplaner"? There are at least 4 of those for sale in my area currently.
The Manual say's AUTO-FEED Precision Planer, maybe the same

Mike Murphy
11-12-2010, 7:42 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I went over and bought it last night, wow so much fun talking to a man now in his 80's who has been woodworking all his life. Also picked up a Reliant 6" vertical sharpener with a heavy cast iron jig for sharpening planer and jointer knives for $50. The real gem was a "compression table". Mounts on the wall with hinges, and is used to glue up anything up to 30" wide and 48" long. Made from 8/4 oak and perfectly square($25). Also has "tons" of 6/4 and 4/4 red oak he is going to sell me for $1.25 bf. Hopefully going back Sunday to get that.

Best part of the night was when I was leaving, he asked for my home telephone #. He want to give me a call so he can come see my shop when I'm done setting everything up!!! That will be great!