PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Advice

Greg Johnson
12-28-2004, 2:06 PM
I am new to this forum. In fact I found it on a search about the SawStop technology, which is very interesting. Anyway, I have an ancient Craftsman table saw that has really given me fits over the years. I have always sworn that I would never own another Craftsman tool, but after reading an article in Workbench magazine about "hybrid" saws, they rated the Craftsman OR35504 model as best in breed. On paper it looks very nice and at a sale price of $849 it is even more interesting. Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this machine. I'm looking for honest opinions here. No sugar coated responses.

Thanks,
Greg

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 2:10 PM
i had a craftmans table saw once myself along time ago........glad i got rid of it....try a grizzly or a delta...or even a powermatic.....there is no comparision. you will see a world of diffrence...craftmans make good wrenches and thats about all.....suggestion go with something else, you won't be sorry

Maurice Ungaro
12-28-2004, 2:13 PM
Greg,
Welcome to The Creek! That being said, you may want to try our search tool and check out any threads related to the C-man saw. One of our members recently bought the full -on version of that saw, and paid only around $600. Bear in mind that the saw only has a 1.5 hp motor - about the same as any other contractor style saw. If you were thinking about getting something for about $900, then you may want to spend a little more and get a cabinet saw with a 3 hp motor and more stability.

Maurice

Ted Shrader
12-28-2004, 2:45 PM
Hi Greg -

Welcome to the creek. A valuable resource with lots of friendly folks.

Maurice has a good suggestion about doing a search. There are a couple of guys here who have picked one of those up recently. Initial reviews seemed good. Might wanna check the search feature.

Welcome,
Ted

Joe Scarfo
12-28-2004, 5:03 PM
Greg,

Those Craftsman Hybrids are getting good reviews in the trade rags. I've seen posts by others on other woodworking forums who share they're great saws.

Drop me a noteif you want to know the other forums. I believe the rules preclude me from posting them here.

Thanks
Joe in Tampa

Frank Pellow
12-28-2004, 5:21 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, Greg! Yes, please read the many threads on Saw Mill Creek pertaining to table saws. Our archives on this and many other topics are becoming a very valuable resource. :)

A couple of months ago, I donated my 30+ years old Craftsman table saw to the Habitat for Humanity Re-store and have been operating without one since then. I took the time to do the research becuase I want the next saw to be the last. I finally settled on the General 350 (in spite of the fact that it does not have a riving knife -in my opinion the bast way to aviod kickback). It will still be a month or so before I purchase the saw (if possible, used).

Marshall Harrison
12-28-2004, 5:28 PM
Greg, welcome to the Creek. There's a lot of great knowledge here. Most everyboody is nice and everyone is open to questions.

I bought the cheapest of the Craftsman hybrids and I've been very happy with it. It's heavy/solid and the setup was pretty much on the money right out of the box. Only minor tweeking was needed. I've cut some red oak and quite a bit of 3/4" sheet goods with no problem. It's not a exactly a cabinet saw but it is better than a contractor's saw. This saw should work fine for anyones workshop.

Chris Padilla
12-28-2004, 5:32 PM
Greg,

There are A LOT of happy Grizzly 1023 owners on this forum. I think it is the best value going.

Bridgewood has also entered the ranks lately. And, of course, you'll find many satisfied Delta Unisaw and PM66 owners as well as Jet.

The SawStop and new-style C-man are relative newcomers to the TS market so time will tell how they will do. The SS looks like one solid beast and I will freely admit that I will not buy any C-man ww'ing tools...been there, done that, been burned. I'll buy wrenches and sockets all day long from Sears but no more ww'ing items.

Oh, I'm a happy 4-year owner of a Grizzly 1023 TS! :D

scott spencer
12-28-2004, 6:20 PM
Hi Greg - Historically I haven't been a huge Craftsman fan, nor have I had horrible experiences, but these three new saws are made by Orion rather than Ryobi and are a different breed than their recent TS offerings. They're also the trend of the future vs traditional contractor saws. The 22124 that retails at $950 is a nice saw from all that I can tell. At $950, I'd be looking elsewhere. At $850, I still think I'd be eyeing the Grizzly 1023 or Shop Fox cabinet saws, or the GI 50-220C M1 (w/Biese fence). But alot of folks have been able to get them on sale in the $750 range and lower...at that price, that saw has alot of appeal IMO. Granted, the 22124 is not a full blown 3hp cabinet saw that's a clone of a Unisaw....nor will it require 220v electricity. For the reasonably serious home hobbyist, I can't imagine this saw not performing well unless something breaks prematurely...which hasn't been the case based on the many new owners posting their impressions at Woodnet.net.

The only legitimate knock I can think of is lack of field testing for this new design, and only time will tell. Let us know how you make out.

Greg Johnson
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Thank you for all your responses. This IS a VERY informative place. I am just starting my research, so I want to remain very open to all information.Thanks,
Greg

Dave Sharbaugh
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Thank you for all your responses. This IS a VERY informative place. I am just starting my research, so I want to remain very open to all information.Thanks,
Greg
Greg,

Welcome!

Haven't seen the article reviewing the saws, but I just ordered a General 50-220
http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50220an.html
a 2hp 10" left-tilting 'hybrid" that I believe is also mentioned in the article.

Will post pictures when I get it (early Jan., I hope).

Dave

Frank Pellow
12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Greg,

Welcome!

Haven't seen the article reviewing the saws, but I just ordered a General 50-220
http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50220an.html
a 2hp 10" left-tilting 'hybrid" that I believe is also mentioned in the article.

Will post pictures when I get it (early Jan., I hope).

Dave

To be a nit picker, that saw is a General International, not a General. I think that the difference between these is an important nit.

scott spencer
12-29-2004, 3:17 PM
To be a nit picker, that saw is a General International, not a General. I think that the difference between these is an important nit.

In other words, the difference is "importnit" !

Frank Pellow
12-29-2004, 5:29 PM
In other words, the difference is "importnit" !
I like it!

Dave Sharbaugh
12-29-2004, 7:02 PM
:)

Frank,

Here I thought I was getting one of those nifty Canadian flags on the front and helping to support our wonderful neighbors to the north!

Budget's a big consideration. Will let you know how it turns out.

Dave

scott spencer
12-29-2004, 8:24 PM
:)
Frank,
Here I thought I was getting one of those nifty Canadian flags on the front and helping to support our wonderful neighbors to the north!
Budget's a big consideration. Will let you know how it turns out.
Dave

You'll get the nifty Canadian flag on the fence if you get the CM1 version!

Frank Pellow
12-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Yes, at least that fence is made in Canada.

Dave Sharbaugh
12-30-2004, 1:46 AM
Great! That's the one, a 50" Bies.-style. At least I can claim partial 'citizenship'!

Dave