PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Paul Buhse
12-28-2004, 1:33 PM
A note of thanks to all of you in this forum. I've been visiting for about a month now absorbing a world of information while waiting for my Epilog engraver to arrive. My wife and I saw a world of opportunity to enhance our small woodworking business since researching the machines and we're now on line and ready to play and increase business! Thanks to all on your advice to others and l'm looking forward to offering my own experiences when we are up and running. Talk to you soon.

Paul
:)

Ted Shrader
12-28-2004, 2:47 PM
Hi Paul -

Welcome to the Creek. Don't forget to venture outside the Laser forum for some other good info on woodworking. Lots of friendly folks here.

Welcome,
Ted

Keith Outten
12-28-2004, 3:07 PM
Welcome Paul,

There is a wealth of information and talent here at the Creek. Many of our Woodworking Engravers are also top notch talents and are willing to share not only what works but more importantly what hasn't worked for them. Hopefully some good advice will help you avoid the mistakes most of us have made and your route to proffitability will be a shorter road :)

I've owned my Epilog for 3 years now and I have learned alot from the members here. Sometimes the smallest tip can make a big difference in the quality of your engraving work and save you time and materials to boot.

Get as much of your prep work done as you can before the engraver arrives, this will help more then you know. Run your dust collection right up to the area you have selected for your engraver. Instead of using the little compressor that probably is coming with your engraver run a line from your workshop compressor...when you are running a one hour engraving job the noise of the little compressor in the room will drive you crazy. I have two lights mounted on the wall on either side of my machine, it helps to be able to see well when aligning a second side for engraving when you don't have shadows to deal with. Start making a list or ordering materials to use and collecting free materials ahead of time. Corian scraps are great for making all kinds of stuff and you will need to start making wooden plaques as well. Finish your wooden plaques with laquer or poly, the finish will protect your plaque from smoke damage during engraving. Contact the suppliers you will be purchasing materials from and ask for samples along with their latest catalog. Visit local picture frame shops, you would be surprised at how much free clear acrylic they will give you that are drops from framing jobs. If you purchase 4 by 8 sheets you will have to cut them down to size anyway, why not get your acrylic for free?

All of these things will fill your time while you are waiting and shorten the time it takes to get up and running.

Welcome Again!