PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panels on Shaper

Josh Hulit
11-10-2010, 1:25 PM
I just acquired a Powermatic 3hp shaper last year with 3/4" spindle. I have been making cabinet doors with a set of Freud bits on my router table, but would like to switch over to the shaper. I've been looking at some of the Grizzly rail and stile sets to get started. They also make a backcutter that can be stacked on a raised panel bit, but I was worried that might be too much cutter for this shaper? Also, should I go in this direction, or look into a universal head with interchangeable knives? Just looking for opinions before I start investing in shaper cutters. Thanks!

Paul Johnstone
11-10-2010, 4:09 PM
I just acquired a Powermatic 3hp shaper last year with 3/4" spindle. I have been making cabinet doors with a set of Freud bits on my router table, but would like to switch over to the shaper. I've been looking at some of the Grizzly rail and stile sets to get started. They also make a backcutter that can be stacked on a raised panel bit, but I was worried that might be too much cutter for this shaper? Also, should I go in this direction, or look into a universal head with interchangeable knives? Just looking for opinions before I start investing in shaper cutters. Thanks!

You can still take multiple passes with a backcutter. Just move the fence so that the entire cutter is not exposed on the first pass.

Obviously, it's best to have some scraps to test that final pass.

I have carbide bits for my raised panels and styles, but I get a lot of use out of a cutterhead with HSS replacable knives. The knives are only $20-30/pair and can be resharpened on the Tormek 6 times, so that makes it very economical.

Jeff Monson
11-10-2010, 6:47 PM
I think your 3hp shaper will raise panels very nicely, I'd look seriously into
some profile insert cutter sets. I bought individual cutters for my shaper, but I really wish now I had looked into insert heads. Freud makes a really nice set for panels and rails, they are spendy but compared to individual cutters you are money ahead and have the option to make any profile you'd like.

Most of my tooling is 1 1/4", you may want to look for a 1 1/4" spindle for your shaper before you start aquiring tooling. I had a pm2700 3hp shaper and it raised panels in 1 pass no problem, I also use a power feed.

I'm sure the shaper guys will give you some great advice, JR and Peter have helped me tremendously.

Peter Quinn
11-10-2010, 8:09 PM
I've had a Freud RP2000 set up for a few years now and really like it. I have run the RP2000 with a back cutter on my delta 3HP 3/4" shaper, no problem raising panels in regular hardwoods in one pass. There is plenty of power there for panel raising and door making even with a back cutter. I do use a feeder for best results, and a shop made panel hood for safety. I also have some three wing cutters, and those work fine too, but can wind up costing more per profile if you want a few different profiles to work with. There is also sharpening cost, which may not mean much if you are a one man shop making occasional doors as you will get a lot of milage out of a cutter head before sharpening. I seem to recall Mike Heidrick having a good source for the RP1000 (head only) and then you can add profiles as you need them, which might be a good way to get started too? Maybe Mike will chime in?

All my panel raisers are 1 1/4" bore and get bushed up for use on the 3/4" shaper. If your shaper has the 1 1/4" bore option I'd get that spindle. I bought mostly 1 1/4" tooling at the start and have since added an 1 1/4" shaper, so if you might consider upgrading the shaper down the road plan to invest in tooling that will grow with you. I know its hard at this point to see the future, but do keep it in mind as you go forward. With a feeder you can actually feed the first pass with the stock off the fence a bit for a hogging pass, and run a second pass right behind that tight to the fence without having to stop and adjust anything if you would rather take it in two passes. You sort of steer it through like surfing! Sounds crazy till you try it. Or you can clamp some 1/4" mdf shims to the fence for the first pass which gives you a light second pass and a real fine finish in more dense material.

For three wing cutters I find Amana has one of the best price to quality ratios going, and for 3/4" tooling I'd look at Infinity as well for both cabinet sets and panel raisers. There are obviously more industrial and more expensive options in both insert and braised tooling, but you will get fine results from most budget conscious tooling for the small shop.

I guess that the decision to purchase a rail and stile insert set really depends on your needs, budgets and intentions? If money is no object, then by all means get the rail and stile insert head. If you need to make a variety of profiles for commercial purposes, then it really makes sense to own the insert tooling with multiple profile options too. In my case I'd like to have the capacity to make a variety of different profiles, but I don't really need it and can't presently justify the expense, so I make do with one basic quarter round set that I like, and can easily make either square edge doors or panel molded doors with other tooling I own.

Enjoy that shaper and work safe. Its a big step up in power from a router. Kick back on a router is like getting slapped by a gerbil, kick back on a shaper is like getting kicked by a clydesdale, and panel raisers are big cutters typically, make sure to minimize that fence gap and avoid any kick back or tip in situations. Oh, and dull panel raisers are far more likely to kick back than sharp ones, so keep them sharp and don't run them dull. DAMHIK

Josh Hulit
11-10-2010, 8:54 PM
Thank you guys for all your input and ideas! It's nice to get feedback from people with a lot of hands-on experience.

Mike Heidrick
11-10-2010, 9:18 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=freud+rp1000

I put some cutters and the RP1000 in my cart and saved to buy later. Then i wait till the price drops from $30 to $12 on some of the cutters and I bought the RP1000 for $45 shipped on Ebay but the price drops on it on amazon too to less than $99 occassionally. It is 1 1/4" bore.

Also once a year the freud UC900-UC213 set drops from $449 to about $213. I bought that set a couople years ago. You missed it buy about 2 months ago. It is 3/4 bore.

Keep an eye out for those deals.

J.R. Rutter
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I have actually had good experiences with those 5-wing Grizzly cutters. They are relatively cheap and cut well. They cost more to sharpen, but if you aren't doing lots of doors, they will last a long time.

If I were starting over, I would be tempted to try Freeborn Tool's newish multi-part insert rail/stile set. They are shimmable to get different panel grooves for undersized plywood, and you can change profiles by switching inserts on only 2 of the 6 heads.

http://www.freeborntool.com/inserttooling.html