PDA

View Full Version : Festool Parallel Guides

Matt Meiser
11-10-2010, 1:11 PM
I'm considering adding the Festool Parallel Guides to my arsenal and am looking for feedback on well do they work? I previously used a different system that had an attachment for repetitive cuts and I found that its plastic parts flexed resulting in cuts being off by as much a 16th of an inch making it useless to me. These look to be much more substantial but I haven't found a set in stock to get my hands on.

Scot Ferraro
11-10-2010, 6:09 PM
I bought them and they work very well. There are a couple of modes other users have done to increase the cut width from 26 inches and also installing little tabs on the measurement cams to keep the guides from tilting below the stock -- both easy to do. I have not done any modes to my set yet. I would get both sets so that you can do small rips too. There is some great info on the Festool Owner's Group and also Jerry Work at The Dovetail Joint has a tutorial on using the guides that is helpful.

Scot

Will Overton
11-10-2010, 6:44 PM
I've had them for over a year and recommend them. Although as a hobbyist I don't use them every day, every time I do use them it reconfirms that it was a good purchase.

A couple of weeks ago my neighbor was cutting up some Baltic Birch with a TS55. It turns out he's building some display cases for his son in law's liquor store. I brought the parallel guides over and he was hooked. He's just trying to decide whether he should buy a set or put them on his Christmas list. :cool:

One more thing. The first time I used them I forgot to check that the factory edges on the plywood were square ... nuff said. :o

Alex Leslie
11-10-2010, 8:49 PM
I've had them for over a year. I also have the extensions for narrow pieces. The key to success is calibrating them before using them the first time. Besides parallel cuts, they are great for tapers also.