PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest quiver

Mike Cruz
11-10-2010, 9:30 AM
So, what is in your tool rest quiver?

Straight bar lengths?

Curves? What kind (S or 90 degree) and lengths?

What do you have that you practically NEVER use and wish you hadn't gotten?

Roger Chandler
11-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Mike,

When I see some of the questions you are asking here on this forum, I smile :) and see you doing a bit of the same process I did when I got into turning on a heavy basis.

Getting advice from experienced turners can help you eliminate the "stuff" that is rarely used, and help you get the things that are important for your success, and save you a bundle to boot!

Keep on asking away, and know that in doing so, you will find loads of useful info on this an other forums.

Congrats on your PM 90, it is a great workhorse of a lathe, and as you get it refurbished, don't forget to post some pics!

Sean Hughto
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I use all four of my rests extensively.
- a long straight (14" I think)
- a short straight (about 5")
- and Oneway's 2 curved bowl rests - inside and outside curves

Wouldn't be without any of them.

Mike Cruz
11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Sean. That was very helpful. I wonder if that is pretty standard.

Roger, thanks, too for understanding and not rolling your eyes at me...well, you may have done that, but your tact showed through. ;) But, you didn't answer the question and give me the advice and wisdom that you recommend I seek...:confused:

Reed Gray
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I have the Oneway bowl rests, both inside and outside. Just got my Robust Comfort bowl rests, but haven't gotten to try them out yet, similar to the Oneway, but with the drill rod on them. Also look like the inside rest won't bounce like the Oneway will when you are working out on the tip because of the design. I have one 12 inch comfort rest, and 2 of the blue iron curved rests from Craft Supplies. I like their shape/curve, but don't like the cast iron as it doesn't slide like the Comfort rests do. I would like to have a 16 or so inch comfort rest, which Brent doesn't make (at least not yet) for rolling pins, and longer straight things. I think my old rest on my PM was 14 or 16 inches. Therer are times when the 12 inch rest isn't long enough. I have some small rests for my mini, and need to get small Comfort rests for it. I had a friend make me some 1 inch round bar stock rests, and didn't like them at all. They work, but I just didn't like how they felt.

robo hippy

Jon McElwain
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I've got a 20", 14", 12", 6" and 3" all cast iron, then a welded outside curve (Oneway), and a stainless 9" s-curve bar rest. I use the 12" the least, and the s-curve occasionally, but love having it for small bowls (it does inside and outside curves). I use the 20" or 14" and the 6" pretty much every time I turn, and regularly use the 3" for details or small spindle work when I don't want the extra in my way. If I had to put together a "short list," based on economy I would probably go for the 14", 6" and the s-curve. Of course, more curved rests for someone who does a lot of bowls, and longer straight rests for spindle turners.

Post diameter is a factor as well. I would not want to hang out on the end of a 20" rest if it did not have a large post (mine is 1-1/2"), and I don't think I would go more than 12" on a 3/4" rest either.

Hope that helps!

Roger Chandler
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Sean. That was very helpful. I wonder if that is pretty standard.

Roger, thanks, too for understanding and not rolling your eyes at me...well, you may have done that, but your tact showed through. ;) But, you didn't answer the question and give me the advice and wisdom that you recommend I seek...:confused:

Okay Mike,

I recommend a long straight [mine is 14"] and a short straight [4" or 6"] and I also have a curved for inside and outside of bowls. The one I have is from CS and has 2 different post settings where the post can be screwed in either position......I also have a 12" round bar rest which I like to use at times, but is not necessary with the 14" that I have.

If I had it to do over, I would have purchased a robust comfort rest [12"' and maybe a shorter 4" one as well, but now that I have all the others I will most likely stay with them to avoid more $$$$$ flying out of my pockets.

The robust style have drill rod bars on the top which reduces the amount of filing away of nicks, etc that cast iron is prone to get, and they are very good at helping keep your hands in good position and out of the way of pinches, etc.

Harvey Schneider
11-10-2010, 6:38 PM
I have the 12" straight rest that came with my Jet 1642, a 6" straight rest and the Delta inside and outsider curves. I use them all and I wouldn't part with any.
The curved rests are wonderful for keeping the working distance close to constant while forming the curved surfaces of a bowl. The inside curve gets used 90% of the time but there are times when nothing will do the job as well as the outside curve.
The 6" rest is one of the type made out of round bar stock and if I had to do it over I would not get that, but a short straight rest is useful. The problem with the round stock rests is they move the support point of the tool further away from the cutting edge by half of their own thickness.
The remainder of my tool rests are cast iron and, although cast iron does ding occasionally from tool chatter, it resists vibration very nicely. I have thoughts about using epoxy to put a hard edge of tool steel on the 12" straight rest. I may get to that one of these days.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2010, 6:43 PM
I have a 12", a 6" robust, a 4" robust and the oneway bowl rests inside and outside. These are what I settled on after 5 yrs.

Ron Bontz
11-10-2010, 7:45 PM
Well I am just a novice at best. But I bought a Robust 6" comfort rest and was so impressed I bought a 15" straight Robust and love it. The Powermatic that came with my lathe is now a paper weight. I have been looking at all kinds of curved rest and will most likely get the Robust inside curved rest as the vacuum of the vortex allows.:)

Mike Peace
11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a shop made 4" and 6" rest that are a lot like the Robust but without the hardened rod. I use them both a lot for small stuff. I use the long tool rest that came with my PM all the time. I have a shop made box rest I use occasionally for hollowing. I have a curved rest that is a lot like the Oneway that I rarely use for bowls.

Ken Whitney
11-12-2010, 6:26 AM
I have a 12" and 4" Robust and the inside and outside Oneway bowl rests. I use the 12" and the outside bowl rest the most.

I need one between 12 and 4 and greater than 12, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I do like the looks of the Robust bowl rests.

Gary Herrmann
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
A neighbor gave me a bent 12" straight rest. It's bent down on one side. That one I never use.

Thom Sturgill
11-12-2010, 2:07 PM
when I started (with a 1220VS) I first bought a straight round rest. I used it for a while and bought a robust and haven't used the round bar since. I also bought an 'S' shaped rest but found the curves too tight to be much use.
When I upgraded to a 1642 I also bought robust rests - long and short - and have never used the factory rest. I will look into the oneway and robust curved rests.