PDA

View Full Version : Pocket hole machine question

Rick Potter
11-10-2010, 2:45 AM
I recently got a deal ($300) on a Kreg Foreman pocket hole machine. Now, I know someone who wants to sell his Porter Cable pocket hole machine for a good price. Both machines are in very good condition.

The question then is, should I keep the Kreg, or buy the PC, and sell the Kreg??

Has anyone used both machines, and if so which one would you recommend.

I am now familiar with my Kreg machine, but not the PC. Any comments about the PC by someone familiar with it would be appreciated.

Rick Potter

PS: I wish all my decisions were win/win like this one.

Matt Meiser
11-10-2010, 8:02 AM
Which model Foreman? If you've got the fully auto pneumatic one, hands down I'd choose that. If the electric manual one, then maybe the choice would be tougher.

I looked at a used PC online before buying a Foreman last year. I could have gotten the PC for less but went with the Foreman. One of the things I liked about the Foreman was the ability to use plugs in the holes. I've only done that a couple times, but I like having the ability.

Rick Potter
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Mine's the electric manual one. Yesterday I went through it and adjusted everything. Took about half an hour.

Rick Potter

Matt Meiser
11-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Ah, then tougher choice. My suggestion would be to use both and see which you like more. Do the actual assembly. I know Castle, who designed the PC unit talks about angle being lower. And I just stumbled across a link on their site for plugs so maybe my concern on that was unfounded though they aren't as easy to get seeing as Lowes stocks some Kreg plugs.

http://www.castleusa.com/pocket_joinery.html