PDA

View Full Version : Anvil Shooting

Joseph Klosek
11-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I probably wont look at an anvil the same again.

http://www.coolestone.com/media/895/Anvils_Away/

J.P.

Johnny Kleso
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the link :)

Bryan Wuest
11-10-2010, 4:56 AM
Holy Cow!!!! I wonder how much booze was involved the first time someone decided to do that!

Neal Wells
11-10-2010, 7:54 AM
We did this years ago at a blacksmithing conference with bigger anvils and less powder (for safety reasons). Just remember to lean the two anvils slightly so the shot anvil doesn't go straight up and come back straight down to take the horn off the one on the ground like happened at our shoot!

george wilson
11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Sooner or later someone will get killed doing that. Maybe get their vehicle caved in,or someone's house caved in. Why? Because,sooner or later some guys full of beer will not get far enough away from everyone else to do this dangerous stunt. Wait and see.

Jim Koepke
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Because,sooner or later some guys full of beer will not get far enough away from everyone else to do this dangerous stunt. Wait and see.

There are a lot of last words something like, "Hey, come watch this..."

jtk

george wilson
11-10-2010, 1:13 PM
I am by no means opposed to "dangerous" activities. I like to shoot,even shoot machine guns and black powder cannon. I don't own machine guns myself. Can't get thrilled enough vs. the cost of the ammo!!!

But,we have a safe place to do it,and safety is mandatory. I don't know,shooting anvils high into the sky,WHERE will they come down???? Seems a bit risky. We shoot into safe backstops.

harry strasil
11-10-2010, 1:34 PM
I was blacksmith for 56 years, and I would never shoot an anvil, to me its just plain dangerous and kinda childish, and I have never been to an anvil shoot and never intend to.

george wilson
11-10-2010, 1:40 PM
Sorta like punkin chunkin ,Harry??? :)

James Owen
11-10-2010, 4:58 PM
There are a lot of last words something like, "Hey, come watch this..."

jtk

Looks like a Darwin Award waiting to be handed out......

Erik Manchester
11-10-2010, 6:57 PM
Yes, a spark while placing that anvil on top would be a real blast for whoever was holding it. :eek: Doesn't look like too smart an activity to me.

Bill Bukovec
11-10-2010, 8:03 PM
Being the first guy to shoot one may not have been too bad.

I feel sorry for the first guy to try catching one.:D

Bill

harry strasil
11-10-2010, 8:06 PM
Now is a fine time to be warning him!

FWIW, check out the Vets thread in "Off Topic"!

george wilson
11-10-2010, 8:41 PM
Percussion might also set off the black powder when putting a heavy anvil on top of the other one. That would really mess up your beard!!:)

Bob Glenn
11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
This guy shoots off an anvil each year at the Falling Leaf BMW motorcycle rally in Potosi, Missouri. I've seen his demonstration several times and it is always a big attraction.

In addition to being an age old celebratory event, there are competitions, mostly in the south, to see how close you can make the fired anvil land to the launch anvil without hitting it.

Obviously not for everyone, but kinda neat to watch. He says the only time anyone has ever gotten hurt, is when they watch the anvil go up, then see it start to come back down and think it is coming down on them and they start backing up and trip over someone behind them.

To each his own.

John Gornall
11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
A tradition in Western Canada for over 150 years:

http://misterbohn.com/anvil/

harry strasil
11-13-2010, 4:36 PM
Lots of difference between launching an anvil, base to base and making a lot of noise with the one on top face down.

george wilson
11-13-2010, 5:42 PM
Must be a very small charge to only go up a foot. Some of them go WAY up in the air! And they ant to see HOW CLOSE to the launching anvil they can land it? Sounds like a good way to ruin something.