PDA

View Full Version : Bathrooms without a medicine cabinet

Bill Huber
11-09-2010, 9:42 PM
5 years ago I down sized my house, got a small track house. You know you pick the color and the style and that's about it.

The bathroom has one big mirror that is used by both sinks in the bathroom. There is no medicine cabinet, just some drawers in the vanity. Well it is a pain to try and put things in the drawers and they are not that big so..... (Yes someday I will make a new vanity, need a little more skill)

I make a shelf that spans the mirror and is just wide enough for a box of kleenex. Well it really worked out great well maybe.

I now have made 2 more and have 2 more to make, the word travels in this little housing addition.

Here it is, nothing to fancy but it works very well. I have just been using red oak and a few dowels. The bottom is made up of 2 strips, 1/2" think with a small spacer every few inches. This lets light get to the top of the sink and also lets air circulate around things on the shelf.

166791 166792

Dave MacArthur
11-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Nice, I can see that being a good addition instead of trying to put in medicine cabs.

Ted Calver
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Bill, We have the same situation...and by sheer coincidence today the missus says she wants to remove the big mirror and put a single mirror on front of each sink. I'm thinking about how I might get a long narrow cabinet in between them..or have narrow cabinets flank them. I like your idea too.

Bryan Wuest
11-10-2010, 4:41 AM
I now have made 2 more and have 2 more to make, the word travels in this little housing addition.

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. I really like the design. What did you use as a water repelling finish?

Bill Huber
11-10-2010, 8:16 AM
Nice, I can see that being a good addition instead of trying to put in medicine cabs.

I really thought about putting in two cabinets but then I decided to just make the shelf. It was a lot less work and it came out ok and so far works fine.

Bill Huber
11-10-2010, 8:30 AM
Bill, We have the same situation...and by sheer coincidence today the missus says she wants to remove the big mirror and put a single mirror on front of each sink. I'm thinking about how I might get a long narrow cabinet in between them..or have narrow cabinets flank them. I like your idea too.

I think one on each side with a cabinet in the middle would work but I am not sure how it would balance out.

We have a stand up type medicine cabinet with doors on top and then storage on the bottom we use to keep the things in we don't use every day.

Bill Huber
11-10-2010, 8:44 AM
Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. I really like the design. What did you use as a water repelling finish?

Yes I know but the one thing I don't want to do is get into a money making thing that just never works out, I don't want my woodworking to become a have to thing, I like to much.

The good thing is that the houses were all built buy the same builder so everything is the same size. I takes much longer to put the finish on then is does to build the shelf.

I just used 3 good coats of poly on it, I have seen a drop or two if water on it but it beads up really well so I think the poly will work fine.

Ron Bontz
11-10-2010, 8:26 PM
Bill, I have the same problem in my house. Some day I'll get rid of the big ugly mirror but for now that looks like a neat fix. :)