PDA

View Full Version : Back in the shop after nearly five years

Paul Hendrickson
11-09-2010, 8:33 PM
This post has been a long time coming. It is also seriously long, so you may want to just move on. After nearly five years, I got to do some woodworking this weekend. I am notorious for giving too many details, but this is as good a place as any to tell at least some of the story.

My woodworking hobby began in 1994 after meeting my wife’s grandfather and working in his workshop. Before that I had never done any woodworking. I was instantly hooked, and began collecting lousy tools, and building (or should I say overbuilding) stuff. None of it could be mistaken for fine woodworking, but I was getting better and enjoying it very much. By 2006 I had collected a few tools, and started to really get the hand tool bug. However, my health was declining rapidly and we did not know why.
In July of 2006, I lost my job and we had to move into our camper for almost a year, so everything went into storage. I found a job in 2007, but health was getting much worse, and in May of ’07, at age 36 I had a stroke. It did not do any permanent damage, but it sure scared us both. My sister is a doctor, and she is the one that put all the pieces together, and the short of it is that I had severe sleep apnea. It took awhile, but we finally got a treatment plan, and in September I had a tracheostomy so that I could breathe at night. I kept it plugged during the day so that I could talk, but the trach itself brought many more health troubles. Once all our stuff was out of storage, I had tried to get the tools out, but after the second (of four) bout with pneumonia, the doc said absolutely no woodworking, dust, yard work, or anything of the sort. One of those bouts nearly killed me so I took it seriously. After two years, I lost enough weight (160 lbs) that I could have the next surgery in March of 2009. My jaws were broken and moved forward, ˝ inch on top and nearly 1 inch on bottom. It cured my apnea completely, and though the recovery from that surgery has been difficult, it is nothing compared to not breathing. I still have some weight to loose, but I am SO much better, better than when I was 25.

Well, I got a new and infinitely better job outside Abilene in January. We now live in the country and I am loving every minute of it. Unfortunately the garage is packed full of junk. We are slowly going through and throwing away, but it will be awhile until it is a usable workshop. However, this weekend, I got to drag out some tables, and do some work.

I have two nephews that will be turning two this month and in February. About ten years ago I built a version of Norm’s alphabet wagon for my first nephew, so I decided that would be perfect for getting back into the swing of things. We made a trip to Fort Worth about a month ago, so while there I picked up some mahogany, walnut and maple. A friend here helped me saw the walnut in half so that I would not have to waste so much for the letters.

I thought about titling this thread the 8 hour dovetail, in the spirit of Klausz and Cosman. When I made the cart ten years ago, I did box joints on the table saw. This first wagon is my first dovetail ever. I could not be happier that my brother’s first son will be the one playing with it. Without further ado, here it is.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/IMAG0225.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/IMAG0226.jpg

They are far from perfect, but they are very strong, and that is what really matters. There are small gaps on all of them, but considering the tools I do have, I am very happy with the outcome. From start to finish they took over seven hours. Talk about efficient! I did learn a lot, and though my expectation is not perfection, I do believe that the next one will be much improved.

Here is a shot of the blocks. Some of them still need to be rounded on the edges, but the faces have been routed. The cart holds forty 1.5” x 1.5” blocks. I do not yet know what I will use for the wheels.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/IMAG0228.jpg

Here is one of the coolest things of all. My wife actually loves the scroll saw. She cut all 64 letters out on Saturday. She is into scrapbooking and has a cricut machine, so she also cut the letters out of self stick vinyl. They are the Winnie the pooh alphabet, and this is how they look. I will hopefully get the last few cut and glued in on Thursday.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/IMAG0229.jpg

Here is my makeshift workbench. Though functional, it is far from what I want to be using. Hopefully one of the next things to build will be a workbench.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/IMAG0223.jpg

I have been a lurker for quite some time, and have learned so much from so many here. I wish I could somehow thank everyone properly. Maybe I will be able to improve my skills enough to be able to contribute positively to the forum.

Well, this post has been abnormally long. If you have read all the way to the bottom, thanks for reading.

Paul

Bruce Volden
11-09-2010, 8:42 PM
Well, this post has been abnormally long. If you have read all the way to the bottom, thanks for reading.

Paul[/QUOTE]

No, thank you for sharing! Sometimes we take our health for granted--until we get a rude wake up. I have been quite fortunate for my 56+ years but I have rampant cancer in my family. I don't let it worry me or anything but it is always in the back of my mind.

Bruce

Stephen Cherry
11-09-2010, 9:03 PM
In a hundred years, a child will be playing with those blocks.

jim sauterer
11-09-2010, 9:09 PM
best of luck paul glad you are doing better.as stated those blocks will be around for their childrens children.take care

Paul Hendrickson
11-09-2010, 9:47 PM
I did get to see the wagon I made for my sister's nephew last year and it still looks great. She told me that his sisters used to pull him in the wagon, even though it was not really built for that, so I guess it was built strong enough. It is really awesome to think about my nephews grandchildren playing with them. Actually kind of makes the emotion of it all almost too much.

Bruce, I take nothing for granted anymore. Every breath that I take without labor is a blessing. At one time, my daytime resting O2 rate was 86. I never want to be there ever again.

Thanks for the comments.

Chris Brault
11-09-2010, 9:52 PM
nice story paul, glad your feeling better. Nice work also!

Don Bullock
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, I got a new and infinitely better job outside Abilene in January. We now live in the country and I am loving every minute of it. Unfortunately the garage is packed full of junk. We are slowly going through and throwing away, but it will be awhile until it is a usable workshop. However, this weekend, I got to drag out some tables, and do some work.

Paul

Congratulations Paul on your new job and being able to get back in your shop. It looks like your return to the shop has been very productive. That's great.

I can fully understand the garage packed with junk. I had a workshop/garage built at our new home and was planning on getting back to me woodworking when we moved. Well, over a year later and I just started working on some tables that I started over three years ago. No, I don't have anything close to being finished like you do.

Mike Langford
11-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Excellent work Paul and your nephew is one lucky youngin'

Glad to hear you're feeling better and welcome back to woodworking! (your dovetails look fine and dandy to me ;))

Neil Brooks
11-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Welcome back ... from your extended stay in hell :eek:

So sorry to hear of the health issues. I'm only too familiar with the concept.

Must feel great to be making sawdust again, huh ?

Nice job on the projects. FWIW, I can't make dovetails that nice with my P-C jig :p

Here's to your _health_ !

Rick Potter
11-10-2010, 2:54 AM
He's gonna love them, and as others have said, they will become a family heirloom. I love happy endings.

Stay healthy, I have a couple health issues also, and count each day a blessing.

Rick Potter

Paul Hendrickson
11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Welcome back ... from your extended stay in hell :eek:

So sorry to hear of the health issues. I'm only too familiar with the concept.

Must feel great to be making sawdust again, huh ?

Nice job on the projects. FWIW, I can't make dovetails that nice with my P-C jig :p

Here's to your _health_ !

Neil, I could not have stated it any better, and it is good to be back.

It absolutely feels great. Before all this started, I would occasionally get emotional, but could usually control it pretty well. Now it is much harder, especially as good things happen. For so long there was nothing good at all, and now it seems almost foreign. I say this because making the jig for routing the faces of the blocks took a very long time. There was even a moment when I jammed the chisel into my palm so deep that I thought I would have to go to the ER. Well a couple butterfly stitches and I was back to work. This was last weekend, so by Saturday it had healed nicely. However on Saturday, as I was steadying one of the boards in my makeshift workbench/tablesaw the saw went all the way through, and I jammed it down into my finger. It hurt pretty bad. As DW was assessing the damage, she looked at my other arm and asked, "how did you do that?" pointing to another pretty deep cut that I did not even know was there. I had no idea where it came from. I shrugged, smiled and said, "Isn't it great to be working wood again?!" I was so happy from all the cuts and gouges that I almost cried. But that wouldn't have been very manly, so I just grunted and went back to work. :)

Paul Hendrickson
11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Last night I finished routing the faces on the blocks for the first wagon. Today I am going into Abilene to seek some wood for the wheels and dowels for the axles. There is not a lot to choose from here. I would love to find a small piece of mesquite. I have some time tomorrow to work, so hopefully I will finish the first wagon. I can't wait to get back to it.

Paul McGaha
11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Welcome back to woodworking Paul. I'm glad that your health is improving.

Paul Johnstone
11-10-2010, 4:13 PM
Nice story. Glad it had a happy ending. Congratulations on losing all that weight.. That is really inspirational.. Hope the second half of your life continues to be much better. :)

ray hampton
11-10-2010, 4:58 PM
I did get to see the wagon I made for my sister's nephew last year and it still looks great. She told me that his sisters used to pull him in the wagon, even though it was not really built for that, so I guess it was built strong enough. It is really awesome to think about my nephews grandchildren playing with them. Actually kind of makes the emotion of it all almost too much.

Bruce, I take nothing for granted anymore. Every breath that I take without labor is a blessing. At one time, my daytime resting O2 rate was 86. I never want to be there ever again.

Thanks for the comments.

I am glad that you are better now and I will ask you to explain O2 in more detail, do the nurse drew blood for this test or place a device over your finger-tip for the reading ?

Paul Hendrickson
11-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I am glad that you are better now and I will ask you to explain O2 in more detail, do the nurse drew blood for this test or place a device over your finger-tip for the reading ?

Hello Ray. The 86 was measured with a finger tip scanner. The morning of the trach surgery my dad and wife had to each grab an arm because I did not have the strength to walk. Within a few weeks of that surgery my O2 was back to 95.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I don't really feel like an inspiration, but I do feel much better.

Paul Hendrickson
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Well I had some allergy issues and was not able to finish last week, however Saturday I was able to complete the wagon and blocks. I wanted to share some pictures. Here is the wagon before finish was applied.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/Alphabet%20Wagon/IMAG0254.jpg
(http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/Alphabet%20Wagon/IMAG0254.jpg)

Next is the completed wagon with finish applied, pull string attached, and finish to most of the blocks.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/Alphabet%20Wagon/IMAG0257.jpg

I am very happy with the final result, and hope that my nephew agrees.

The wagon ended up being bigger than the first (norm copy) I made ten years ago, and the blocks are smaller, but I like this much better. There are forty blocks, with 80 letters. I started with the scrabble distribution, and scaled back from there. This will allow a lot of spelling combinations.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/Alphabet%20Wagon/IMAG0265.jpg

I guess it could be called old fashioned twitter!

Here is a closeup of the mesquite wheels.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/wallyrulz/Alphabet%20Wagon/IMAG0259.jpg

Sorry it is a little blurry. I am really happy with the mahogany and mesquite combination. The pictures do not do either one justice. The mahogany is so pretty it makes me want to cry. Well, if I did that sort of thing.

I have never worked with mahogany or mesquite before. I think that mahogany was not the best choice for learning dovetails, but it did help me learn some lessons that I already knew. Sharp chisels, sharp chisels, and finally, sharp chisels. I am actually getting pretty proficient at sharpening, and stopped twice to rehone the edges. Each time this helped tremendously.

I totally cheated on the pull handle. It was purchased at hobby lobby. I did consider chucking some wood in the drill press and trying my hand at turning, but common sense, time and laziness won. I may make one later and send it to my sister-in-law and have her replace it.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. The future looks bright if I can pull this off with the workshop in the condition it is in. Hopefully the winter and spring will allow me more time to get the garage/shop whipped into shape.

Paul Hendrickson
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
BTW, I can't believe that no one said anything about my marking knife. DW was not at all happy when she saw it, but she didn't say anything, just gave me that look, a combination of this :eek: and this :mad:. Worked great though!

Tom Vanzant
12-10-2010, 5:12 PM
Paul,
I believe Chicago Cutlery has been making that marking knife for years, to be honed before use, of course.
Very nice project BTW. I see you found some mesquite.