PDA

View Full Version : mid stage saw handle #2 oppions please

Robert Culver
11-09-2010, 8:25 PM
Hello this is saw handle #2 i have done a tad better than #1 but im still not totaly happy with it Im looking for oppions on the lambs tounge mostly i seem to stil be working this out and havent quite got it right yet. I cut it as part of my pattern but am thinking of holding of until the carving stage to get everything to line up right just curious what you do and think of this one. I will be doing some wheat on it but I need to clean it up a bit more before I do that. fire alway it dont need to be just related to the tounge im open to all of it. Thanks

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/handle2.jpg

Jonathan McCullough
11-09-2010, 9:05 PM
What's not to like? I'd be proud of that handle. Some of the proportions differ from what seems strictly customary (to my eye) but it seems well within what would be considered very nice work. The lamb's tongue looks great.

george wilson
11-09-2010, 9:14 PM
The lamb's tongue looks alright,but the cheek is very flat on the bottom. Can you carve some wood away on each side of it to make it more rounded?

Actually,the convex curved part of the lamb's tongue on the outside edge of the saw could be made a bit thinner,and curve it on the outside more to match the shape of the inside curve of the saw.

That is the same pattern I made for my saws if you look them up in the FAQ section.

Also,your handle turns down quite tightly at the top,which doesn't look bad,but might be uncomfortable on the web of your thumb.

Lastly,the "U" shaped cut at the top of the saw is too small. Look up my picture in FAQ.

I know you can sculpt well enough to get the handle straightened out well. You are already doing good work,and are careful.

Edit: I just looked up my saw handle,and I treated my lamb's tongue a bit different. It has an extra step in it,but yours looks just fine if you'd refine it just a bit it might be even better sculpturally.

Michael Gaynes
11-09-2010, 9:23 PM
I read your post and then went and checked my RSS feeds. Looked what popped up: http://thesawblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/filing-a-lambs-tongue/

Brian Ward
11-09-2010, 9:27 PM
It looks great to me, and you can easily modify it.

For the lamb's tongue, you might try adding a bit of concavity to its leading edge, or round it out a little. I think you might be concerned that the notch there looks a little bit like a slot. For that part, it all depends on what your eyes like. Try fooling around in some pieces of scrap.

Your top horn has a little bit of a "hook" to it. Depending on what your hands like (and only they know), this might dig into the webbing of skin between your thumb and index finger. The top horns on my handles tend to go out flat.

The tops of most handles are gently rounded over, except for the inside of the notch in front of the lamb's tongue. The very front will be mitered, the rest of the front is usually rounded like the top, as is the front inside the hole. When you make those changes, the handle will probably appear much more refined to your eye. The bottoms, interestingly, are usually just flat or edge-broken.

Dang, I just noticed that George Wilson just posted most of the above.

Robert Culver
11-09-2010, 9:40 PM
george I am having a hard time fnding your saw handle in the FAQ it keeps telling me there are no results to display. I really appreciate the advise it helps me get better at this:):):):):):).

Andrew Gibson
11-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I like it lambs tongue.
I think the top curve up by where the top of the hand sits looks a bit unconfortable, but if it suits you it looks fine.
I also think the U at the top could be a bit bigger/wider

here is a link to George's handle. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108194

george wilson
11-09-2010, 10:52 PM
In FAQ there are different sections,just look down the list until you come across the tool section. My saws,planes,handles,etc. are there. Unfortunately,my lamb's tongue is sculpted differently from yours,but you can see how it meets the cheek at least,and the notch at the top,etc..

Robert Culver
11-10-2010, 5:23 PM
thanks for all the coments and avdice guys I did a few adjustments and studied it to see how I could make a few more I got a plan togather just need to put it into the wood now. I will post more pics when I get a little further along.