PDA

View Full Version : portable belt sander size suggstions?

Jesse Tutterrow
11-09-2010, 6:51 PM
The old 3" x 18" belt sander has died. I am looking for a replacement for under $100.

The first question would be a 3x18, 3x21, 4x?? ... What do you think?
I will be using it for sanding surfaces flat and adjusting cabinets to fit tight against a wall.

The next question would be brand. Any suggestions?

I don't think I will consider the Harbor Freight stuff.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jay Allen
11-09-2010, 7:37 PM
There is nothing better than the Porter Cable (http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15062)371K compact belt sander for scribing fillers to the walls but I wouldn't try sanding large areas with it.
Having two belt sanders is a bit out-there for a home hobbiest, but if you are making your living with them....

Personally, I don't have a second (full size) sander at this time. I have access to several at work, and have not settled upon one I actually like.
The 3x21 PC is "ok" but I just don't like the "feel" of them and the monster 4x24 is just a plain oversized badly balanced pig. The worst thing is the tiny platen. The sander is huge and very heavy but the actual contact surface is very small in comparison.
A couple of the guys have the 3-wheel Dewalt, but both have had reliability issues with them.

I have a personal mental block with Ryobi, can't stand the stuff.

I'm thinking about the Bosch 1274DVS, but I would really like to try one before buying.

Karl Brogger
11-09-2010, 7:41 PM
The old 3" x 18" belt sander has died. I am looking for a replacement for under $100.

Good luck with that.

The first question would be a 3x18, 3x21, 4x?? ... What do you think?
I will be using it for sanding surfaces flat and adjusting cabinets to fit tight against a wall.

Two different applications. I like a 3x24 in the shop, and a 3x21 installing. I know a few people that really like the small Porter Cable belt sander for install work, looks kinda cheap to me though.

The next question would be brand. Any suggestions?

Older Porter Cable. 504 is an awesome model. I just bought another one on ebay for $350. It sucks for installing though, flippin' thing weighs 14lbs.

I don't think I will consider the Harbor Freight stuff.

Good plan.