PDA

View Full Version : 23 ga. pin nailer inquiry

Alan Turner
12-28-2004, 1:04 PM
I am in the market for a 23 g. pin nialer. Saw an ad in FWW for a Cadex brand, from Canada. Does anyone have any experience with this tool? It is about $80 less than the Omer, but shoots 1-3/16" pins, unlike the PC and Senco, which only go to 1". No adjustable depth feature.

www.Cadextools.com
is the web site, with a pix.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Alan

William OConnell
12-28-2004, 2:11 PM
I bought a GREX and am very happy with it shoots up to 1 3/8 pins.

Richard McComas
12-28-2004, 2:49 PM
I have been thinking about getting a 23 GA pin nailer for some time. I have narrower my choice down to the GREX or the Ommer because everything I read suggest these are the top guns in quality.

I'm leaning toward the GREX and it can be had for 169.00 at the following site.

http://hottoolprices.com/grexnailer.htm

Brian Buckley
12-28-2004, 9:37 PM
Who sells the Ommer pin nailer?

Brian

Jim Becker
12-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't know Alan...I have not heard of that brand nor can I imagine any situation that I'd want to try and drive 23 guage pieces of wire that long! I've never found a need for more than 3/4" with my pinner (an Accuset by Senco which is essntially identical to the current Senco version). Most of the time I use shorter pins, too...

William OConnell
12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't know Alan...I have not heard of that brand nor can I imagine any situation that I'd want to try and drive 23 guage pieces of wire that long! I've never found a need for more than 3/4" with my pinner (an Accuset by Senco which is essntially identical to the current Senco version). Most of the time I use shorter pins, too...

This is a balcony I just finished last week. The trim is Azek{solid vinyl} I used PL3000 construction adhesive to hold the azek to the pressure treated lumber underneath and used 1 3/8 pins to hold it in place while it cured

Richard McComas
12-29-2004, 6:15 AM
Who sells the Ommer pin nailer?

Brian

http://www.nailzone.com/

Richard McComas
12-29-2004, 6:35 AM

Jim, I usually use biscuits to attached face frame to cabinets which is time consuming. The biscuits are just an indexing system to hold the face frame in place while I get the clamps on and not used for strength.

I’ve been thinking that a couple of well place 23 GA 1 3/8 pins would not be noticeable and could be use to hold/index the face frame in place while I get the clamps on and would eliminate the need for biscuits all together.

The face frames being ¾ thick I think the extra length would be useful.

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 9:04 AM
I’ve been thinking that a couple of well place 23 GA 1 3/8 pins would not be noticeable and could be use to hold/index the face frame in place while I get the clamps on and would eliminate the need for biscuits all together.
I guess I need to rephase...given the problem that long 18 guage brads have with "wandering", etc., I'm wondering how often similar problems will result with long, thin, 23 guage pins, especially when you are working in harder species. There is not a lot of fastener for the plunger to hit to transfer the energy in the first place and having to drive a very thin fastener a long way may present an interesting physics challenge. That's my underlying concern... But then again, maybe the very thin fasteners go in easier! :)

Richard McComas
12-29-2004, 2:57 PM
I guess I need to rephase...given the problem that long 18 guage brads have with "wandering", etc., I'm wondering how often similar problems will result with long, thin, 23 guage pins, especially when you are working in harder species. There is not a lot of fastener for the plunger to hit to transfer the energy in the first place and having to drive a very thin fastener a long way may present an interesting physics challenge. That's my underlying concern... But then again, maybe the very thin fasteners go in easier! :)

Jim, I understand you thought son this and of course not ever having actually used a pin nailer I can only go by what the manufacture says about there products. That being said, I know manufacture claims can and are often exaggerated.

I’m going more I what I have read on the wood web’s cabinetmakers forum. There are a couple guys over there using the long pins for face frames and they claim to be successful.

They way I figure if I buy something that shoots the long pins and it turns out to be bogus information I’ll still have a quality gun that will still shoot all the shorter pins.

Actually the Omer that shoots the longer pins is a 21 GA.

Alan Turner
12-29-2004, 3:15 PM
From recollection only, there is an Omer that does 23 ga., at 1-1/8". A friend uses them for just the purpose -- face frames -- that you describe. Usually maple or cherry.
Alan

Richard McComas
12-29-2004, 3:55 PM
From recollection only, there is an Omer that does 23 ga., at 1-1/8". A friend uses them for just the purpose -- face frames -- that you describe. Usually maple or cherry.
Alan

Al, you are right, the Omer PR 28 is a 23 ga pinner that shoots pins from 5/8 to 1-1/8, they also have the PR 30 which is a 21 ga headless pinner the shoots 1/2 to 1-1/8, the PR 30 is the one I thought shot up to 1-3/8, but after just checking the web sit is see I was wrong.

Richard McComas
12-29-2004, 4:12 PM
I bought a GREX and am very happy with it shoots up to 1 3/8 pins.

Have you shot many of the 1-3/8 pins into hardwood? Did the long pins give you any problems?

William OConnell
12-29-2004, 9:21 PM
Have you shot many of the 1-3/8 pins into hardwood? Did the long pins give you any problems?

I shot these cherry plinths with it. Same as I always do with pins I use it to hold the stock on PL or glue but dont count on them as fasteners alone
http://images.modblog.com/files/mbgallery/woodworkers/files/Bennett%20cherry%20slider%20plinth.JPG