PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe?

Rob Cunningham
11-09-2010, 6:36 PM
I roughed out this maple HF back in August, soaked in DNA for 4 days, and wrapper in newspaper to dry. I unwrapped it yesterday and it has some cracks in it. Tried to drip some thick CA glue in the cracks, but it just oozes through to the inside.
I turned it from a log with the pith running parallel to the ways then flipped it 90 degrees and rounded it, kinda Ellsworth style.
Do you think epoxy would be a better choice or should I just scrap this one and move on?
Thanks for any opinions or ideas

Robert McGowen
11-09-2010, 6:40 PM
Your title says it all. You won't really have an answer though until it is either finished or you catch a piece of it in the head when it breaks. Seems like an easy decision.

Don Alexander
11-09-2010, 6:41 PM
thats not nearly as cracked as the last 2 pieces of oak i turned ...... successfully i might add i judged it by feel which is kinda hard to do online hehe

Dennis Ford
11-09-2010, 7:04 PM
It looks like it should survive hollowing based on the pictures. I would be carefull while turning the outside and stay out of "line of fire" while hollowing. If it blows up while you are standing at the tailstock end, the pieces should not hit you (at least not until they have expended some of their energy bouncing off something else). If you have not blown up any hollow forms before now, you are NOT ready for this one.

If you want to fill the cracks, epoxy is a good choice but only after the wood is dry. Filling cracks in wet wood will just cause more cracks.

charlie knighton
11-09-2010, 7:13 PM
if you have to turn this

when you get to hollowing wrap the outside with saran wrap or duct tape

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2010, 7:30 PM
I'd let it dry and fill the big cracks with epoxy and instant coffee crystals if you wanted to add color.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2010, 9:10 PM
I agree. I would fill the big cracks with epoxy and coffee/sanding dust/or whatever. I would get the outside turned and sanded. I would then go to the inside and hollow. I would also as Charlie said wrap the outside with saran wrap while hollowing just for added safety. Finish the bottom and apply finish. I have turned some that were worse looking than yours successfully and carefully.

Baxter Smith
11-09-2010, 9:42 PM
Looks like its worth a shot. Faceshield, hardhat, heavy coat, could be exciting.:) Glad you acted upon that chapter in the book. I thought it looked interesting. Can't remember without looking, but didn't he just turn his thin to begin with? Might have helped avoid the cracking. Hope you post the results!

David DeCristoforo
11-09-2010, 9:48 PM
Completerly and utterly safe. Unless it flies apart. Then I take it back... Like Bax said. Armor...

David E Keller
11-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd give it a spin... I generally use epoxy because I get less trouble with bleeding into the surrounding wood plus it allows me to add a contrasting color(usually black). I'd stop often and check the integrity of the repair job.

If you spin it, please post some final photos.

Dale Miner
11-10-2010, 7:03 AM
Life is short, injuries always take longer to heal than we want.

Wood is not expensive, experience is valuable.

Chuck in the woodstove and turn another cross grain without any pith.

Later,
Dale M

David Woodruff
11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Another use for duct tape or if you want clarity, saran wrap in several layers. Usually I will try and visualize if the crack will be legitimate as a natural bark inclusuion, if so pound in bark linear with the crack about 3/16" per pounding, wick in super thin CA. Continue until the bark is proud to the surface. More CA, let cure or add accelerator. This takes a little longer but if done well the "bark inclusion" will look real with color variation and geometry. The coffee or ground bark filler looks too uniform for my tastes. MOO

Rob Cunningham
11-10-2010, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the opinions and advice.
I might just set this one aside and think about it for awhile. Maybe I'll dig out my old ice hockey helmet with the cage on the front just in case :eek:

Baxter- Ellsworth usually does turn to finish thickness and lets them warp. I was planning to finish turn this after drying, to a more globe shape.
Thanks again everyone.

Ron Bontz
11-10-2010, 5:47 PM
Are you sure something in there is not hatching?:D Best of luck.

Don Alexander
11-10-2010, 9:32 PM
if you decide to not finish turning it , send it to me and i'll finish it hehe