PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple and Walnut

Robert McGowen
11-09-2010, 6:10 PM
This vase is made from a single board of curly maple and walnut veneer. The glue-up ended up being a lot harder than I anticipated due to having to add the veneer to all four sides of each internal piece. It wasn't that big a deal to do, it was just a pain.

Even though I anticipated how this would turn out, it was still strange to see the veneer start to "curve" and "cross" each other as I turned it, since I knew that I had glued it up in a straight line! :confused::D:rolleyes::eek:

Curly maple and walnut veneer. Sanded to 400 with 3 coats of Antique Oil. 8" tall, 5.25" at widest point, 1.75" foot, and 1/4" walls.

Comments, questions, and critiques are welcome! Thanks for looking.

Jim Burr
11-09-2010, 6:44 PM
That's amazing Robert! Segmenting is no where in my future so I'm going to live vicariously through yours!!

Tony De Masi
11-09-2010, 6:47 PM
Very nice piece Robert. I don't know where you get your patience for doing these types of pieces but I'm pretty sure it wasn't your previous vocation.

Don Alexander
11-09-2010, 6:47 PM
WOW!!!

i really really like this one

John Keeton
11-09-2010, 6:57 PM
Robert, this one has a little bit of Picasso look to it!! Really neat, and great joinery as always. That is some nice curly maple, too.

Ken Hill
11-09-2010, 7:16 PM
Im not a big fan of alot of the segmenting, its pretty , and I do admire the work and skill involved, however this I love!

Very impressive!!!

James Combs
11-09-2010, 7:55 PM
Im not a big fan of alot of the segmenting, its pretty , and I do admire the work and skill involved, however this I love!

Very impressive!!!

Ditto what Ken said. This is first segmented piece that I can say that I really like.

David DeCristoforo
11-09-2010, 8:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of segmented pieces even though I can appreciate the thought and work that goes into them. But this one is exceptional. I like it muy bueno!

Tom Hamilton
11-09-2010, 8:34 PM
Robert, that is a beautiful piece. Are you selling your work in a Gallery or on-line?

Best regards, Tom

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2010, 9:03 PM
Robert all I can say is that is a beautiful piece. Really well done.

Baxter Smith
11-09-2010, 9:25 PM
Very nice shape and pretty wood. The view from the top looks great to me, but from the side almost makes me dizzy. Reminds me of some of the segmented cutting boards I have seen posted here. My eyes can't seem to focus with the conflicting lines. This is coming from someone who can get sick as a dog when going deep sea fishing.:)

David E Keller
11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of segmented pieces even though I can appreciate the thought and work that goes into them. But this one is exceptional. I like it muy bueno!

I couldn't have said it better!

Doug W Swanson
11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Robert,

When I first looked at the pictures I wasn't sure what to think. Then I looked at it again and realized that I really like it.

It seems like it's a simple vase but it's really more than that. You did a great job lining up the pieces on the sides.

Very impressive!

Ron Bontz
11-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I believe Mr. Keeton hit that one on the nose. "Picasso" I wish my eye for form was as good as yours. Pretty slick piece.:)

Mike Cruz
11-10-2010, 9:28 AM
Very cool piece. Every angle gives another impression... I like it!