PDA

View Full Version : Jet JFM-5 for $750 vs PM719T for $900

Ruhi Arslan
11-09-2010, 5:49 PM
Choices... choices to make... I've been trying to get a mortiser lately with not much success. I first was looking into a benchtop version. Prices went up first and then came the sale but also found a CL advertised 719T form a seller which turned out to be fruitless effort at the end. He agreed on $600 with chisels but changed his mind the day after the 3000 hour sale ended for the mortisers. Therefore, I missed the $350 for the benchtop or $899 for the floor standing model. Now, I can get the PM for $899 or JFM-5 (rebadged 719A - w/o the tilt) for $750 from local but two different stores nearby.

My reason to go for an XY table is to hopefully circumvent my inability to make "good" enough accurate mortises (one can wish, right?). Having the tilt option makes it infinitely versatile, I am thinking. My wife was disappointed as much as I was with the felt through CL deal so she keeps asking me if I ordered the PM for $900 yet. I am asking opinions on which way would you go for whatever the reasons you might have. Twist my arm please... :)

I've got a second hand attachment for my drill press and was able to cut some mortises for the bench that I was holding back till I get the mortiser. It works but there is still too much to be desired.

jim sauterer
11-09-2010, 5:59 PM
i have the jet floor mortiser no tilt.the tilt would be nice.i have been happy with the jet.tools plus has a sale this weekend.friday saturday and sunday.

Paul McGaha
11-09-2010, 6:09 PM
Rihi,

I think either one of them would be fine.

I have the PM-719A (non tilting) and its been great.

If you think the tilting table feature would be useful to you I suggest you get that one.

Probably not that long before the Jet/Powermatic sale kicks in.

PHM

Callan Campbell
11-09-2010, 6:13 PM
I just haven't had the time this year to use it that much. I bought over my own 'cost' objections since I decided not to limit myself on a floor mortiser after owning and NOT really liking my previous Shop Fox benchtop model. But I had to talk myself into the higher price of the Powermatic over the Jet. I haven't had the chance to explore the tilting aspect of it since my holes are still on the straight and narrow;), but I was willing to pay more to get the feature over the non-tilt of the Jet[also known as the Old Powermatic:p] I think either machine is nicely made, and you won't go wrong with either one. Get it and enjoy it, also sorry to hear about the loss on CL for you. Craigslist can be frustrating when that great deal slips away from you.:mad:

eugene thomas
11-09-2010, 7:46 PM
this post answered my question. i decieded in last few days to get a mortiser and was looking at the powermatic benchtop but not sure if want a benchtop of anytool.. Seen powermatic is having a sale from nov 26-29 and can get the 719 for 899. Some times timing works good. Now have to try to exsplain why bought domino 3 months ago and still want a mortiser to the wife...

Callan Campbell
11-09-2010, 8:27 PM
this post answered my question. i decieded in last few days to get a mortiser and was looking at the powermatic benchtop but not sure if want a benchtop of anytool.. Seen powermatic is having a sale from nov 26-29 and can get the 719 for 899. Some times timing works good. Now have to try to exsplain why bought domino 3 months ago and still want a mortiser to the wife...
I know the feeling. I bought my Domino BEFORE I bought the Powermatic. The reasoning I went with is that the Domino can not do the scale of tenon/mortise joints that a true mortiser can. Strangely enough, my wife was OK with this...:cool: I also tend not to talk about both machines in the same month to her....:p:p:p

eugene thomas
11-09-2010, 9:07 PM
I like the domino but find myself using it even when maybe not the best tool for the job.. thats whats getting me to buy the mortiser. to much of hassel setting up the drill press attachment and it really gives crappy results.