PDA

View Full Version : Just had about the most frustrating experience

Mike Cruz
11-09-2010, 3:16 PM
Well, thrilled with my new to me PM90, I was drooling all over it when it hit me...the only tool rest I have for it is a straight 12". Well, we can fix that in a jiffy! Or can we? :confused: I just spent an hour online looking for tool rests that accept 1 1/8" posts. They are like finding flowers at 5 PM on Mother's Day. My choices seem to be the Woodcraft Woodriver system, which I have yet to figure out if they even make the 1 1/8" post...One site says yes, Woodcraft's site doesn't show it as an option! PM sells the tool rests for 3 gallons of blood, a left pinky and a morning breath kiss. Or I can get regular 5/8" tool rests from PSI, and get one of their adapters, which then I would consequently have to slip onto each post, unless the adapter gets stuck in the tool rest holder, then I'm up the creek...and no, not the Creek, the one you need a paddle for but getting one of those is as likely as getting the tool rest you need. :mad:

Ugh.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2010, 3:20 PM
Hmmm, maybe you should reconsider that welder we discussed...

Ken Hill
11-09-2010, 3:21 PM
I have mig and tig welders....if you bring the pieces i can put them together for ya if you can wait haha

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2010, 3:22 PM
Mike,

Here's what I use with my PM3520B. I bought it when I was using the original Bomb...Jet VS Mini. When I upgraded to my PM3520B, I just bought the new center post.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_modular.htm

Mike Cruz
11-09-2010, 3:28 PM
Thanks Ken F. At least SOMEBODY had something useful to say...:D I'll take a look at 'em.

Thom Sturgill
11-09-2010, 3:32 PM
The PSI adapter has a slotted hole to allow the screw tensioner to contact the post. Seems to me that unless the screw is threaded all of the way out, the adapter will stay in the banjo when you remove a tool rest. Only problem is when you want to go from a small post back to the original post.

Michael Ginsberg
11-09-2010, 3:33 PM
Try the folks at Best Wood Tools (Sharon) 931-788-0429
They can make just about anything. I just received my curved tool rests from them. They can use any size stock you need. I am very happy with the quality.

wes murphy
11-09-2010, 3:45 PM
Craft Supplies USA and Packard Woodworking seels tool rest for PM machines. Try Packard first. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/

Wes

Gary Herrmann
11-09-2010, 3:56 PM
How about this? 1 1/8" stem is $12.95 and you can get a variety of interchangeable rests.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_modular.htm

Scott Crumpton
11-09-2010, 3:58 PM
If your lathe will run slow and you've got the tools, you can make your own. Did this last night for a Woodcraft "S" toolrest. Drill and tap a length of bar stock on the lathe. Cut the head off a grade 8 bolt and locktite it into the tapped hole. All done.

Robert McGowen
11-09-2010, 4:39 PM
Aren't you supposed to be recovering from surgery? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Order whatever you want and blame the meds later....... :D

Mike Cruz
11-09-2010, 5:11 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for your help. After further research into your suggestions, here's what I've come up with:

Dan, you are a putz. :D

Ken H., thanks for the offer, but getting into manufacturing stuff is going to be more than I want to tackle right now. So, that addresses Scott's option...

Thom good point about the adapter staying in the tool rest stand making the orginal virtually useless.

Michael, Best Wood Tools stuff looks awfully nice, but they price me out.

Wes, yeah, I had found them, but again, at $75 plus for one rest, again, I'm priced out for multiple rests.

Robert, see Dan... :D

Gary and Ken F., I think you guys got me what I needed. More than I wanted to spend, but it seems like the best thing for a couple reasons. I can get the post, the 6" straight rest, and a 9" "S" for a total of about $100. And I can always add other stuff to it in the future.

So, my next question: along that line of stuff, knowing that I already have a 12" rest, what sizes should I get? Are my thoughts of a 6" straight and 9" S good starters? I figured I'd get more use of a 6" than a 4". Whaddaya think? Also, they offer an internal bow and an external bow (I assume those are S's. Which is which?

Mike Stephens
11-09-2010, 6:05 PM
Get a Robust.

Link (http://turnrobustonline.com/shop/article_TR-1-1%252F8/1-1_8%22-Custom-Post-for-Tool-Rests.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3DTR-1-1%252F8%26)

Tony De Masi
11-09-2010, 6:49 PM
Mike, contact Jeff Nichol, here on the Creek. He makes some awesome stuff.

Mike Cruz
11-09-2010, 7:18 PM
I thought he stopped making rests? Oh well, I'll give him a shout.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2010, 7:37 PM
Dan, you are a putz. :D
No big shock there...

If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks, I may have the proper tool to spin you what you need... of course, you'll be helping me unload it, even if it means one-handed.

Jake Helmboldt
11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Mike, two other possible options:

1. see if there is a banjo with a 1" hole that would fit your lathe. Might be able to find an old one somewhere online or a local used machinery dealer for cheap.

2. Look for toolrests on ebay. There are usually a couple of that size and they don't seem to sell really well. Might be able to make an offer. You could also check with a machinery repair/sales place for used ones. There is a place here in Richmond with loads of old PM lathes. In fact, PM me and I can make a call to see if they have any.

Jake

David Woodruff
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
PDWOODS can make any size tool rest you need

David Woodruff
11-10-2010, 1:21 PM
Private Message posted regarding sourcing for custom tool rests