PDA

View Full Version : Bounce back x home on ULS V-460

John Tussing
11-09-2010, 1:56 PM
This is my first post asking for help because usually I have found solutions to my problems in past threads. I just want to thank EVERYONE for your help.

The situation I have run into is not unique to me. I ran Universal lasers for a company that had X, V, and M ULS lasers and ran into this problem with his V and X lasers at times. The problem is: when doing an initial home or resetting home the carriage bounces back WAY more than it should from the x-stop plunger. I either have to manually place it or place my finger lightly on the carriage to prevent it from moving too far to the left. In all cases these machines had the air assist, and I suspect that the tubes behind the x-rail carrying the air to the carriage are part if not all the problem. However, I don't want to start cutting tubes without checking to see if anyone else has had and solved this problem.

Thanks,

John Tussing
Laser Design Service
Reno, NV

Dan Hintz
11-09-2010, 2:06 PM
Does the carriage move away so far it is no longer touching the homing plunger switch?

John Tussing
02-14-2011, 4:24 PM
Sorry about the lag in responding...I have got so used to this problem I forgot I wrote this thread!:) Yes, it bounces about 1/2" to 3/4" from the plunger. And when I turn off the laser and the servo releases the head moves towards the left about 1/4'. New X controller board as of last month. No cure.

John

Dan Hintz
02-14-2011, 7:45 PM
I had a somewhat similar issue where it would slowly lose its place compared to the plunger... a more recent driver solved the issue.

Mike Mackenzie
02-14-2011, 8:56 PM
John,

You are right on with the air lines when the lines get old they get hard and do not flex completely. Replace the hose in the X axis and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the length correct you do not want it to long. An easy way to prove this is to disconnect the carriage from the air line two screws right on top. Make sure your carriage is free from the airline and turn it on if it homes correctly then replace the air hoses in the X axis.

Dan Hintz
02-15-2011, 7:06 AM
It's funny, Mike... I thought hardened air lines was the cause of my problem, as well. After receiving a few feet of hose and swapping it out, the "old" one was more supple than I originally thought. Same problem :( An update to the latest driver and the problem was gone. Just an oddity of whatever changes they were making in the driver...

Mike Mackenzie
02-15-2011, 5:43 PM
Dan,

Your system and Johns system use different drivers. It very well could have been a software issue on yours but with johns it is a mechanical issue.

John Tussing
03-30-2011, 7:03 PM
Definitely the air lines. They may be too long as well as hardened. I will order new ones along with wheels. Thanks to both of you for your input.

John