PDA

View Full Version : A jewelry box I just finished

Andrew Gibson
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Here you go Sean. I just finished up this jewelry box
It is out of some oak that I was given, Scraps from a fellow woodworkers burn bin.
It is a bit spalted and has some bug damage in a few nondescript places. I like it. I was going to do an oak leave and acorn inlay in the top but my fret saw is a bit to small to handle the job so i scraped it. I also didn't have any veneer in my stash that I really liked for the leaves.

Major work was done with tailed tools, as it is out of 8/4+ stock. All the finish and joinery work was done by hand.
I think my DT skills are definitely improving.

The box is roughly 12" x 6" x 3"... well that's the size of the main box, plus lid and base. The finish is Danish oil and wax.

Chuck Nickerson
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Andrew - very nice work!

After finishing my wife's necklace cabinet, I'll have to work up the nerve to post it.

Jim Koepke
11-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Looks great, I am sure the person who receives this will enjoy it for years.

jtk

Sean Hughto
11-09-2010, 12:23 PM
That's great! Thanks for sharing. I find oak to be very unforgiving in cutting dovetails. It's so hard that there is little wood compression to relieve any slight errors. I think yours look great. By the way, I think that slight variances are not a bug, but rather a feature of handwork. Those variances from a machined "perfection" are evidence of the maker's hand and give the piece soul and personality.

All in all, a very nice box that will surely be loved for years and years.

Rob Young
11-09-2010, 1:20 PM
Well done!

Electrons for the heavy lifting and meat-power for the joinery and details. A good combination.

Robert Culver
11-09-2010, 8:32 PM
very nice oak is tough to do dovetails in at least for me, I did it once. and once is the key word for now anyway.....its nice to see work I have to say:)

Andrew Pitonyak
11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Looks very nice....

Sorry to ask such detailed questions, but...

How did you attach the sides to the base?

How did you attach the feet to the base?

Yow did you make the lid with the sloping cuts? I can imagine doing this easily on a table saw... I can imagine working with a hand plane, but, things look so nice and uniform on the lid.

Andrew Gibson
11-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks very nice....

Sorry to ask such detailed questions, but...

How did you attach the sides to the base?

How did you attach the feet to the base?

Yow did you make the lid with the sloping cuts? I can imagine doing this easily on a table saw... I can imagine working with a hand plane, but, things look so nice and uniform on the lid.

No problems with the questions.
The base is attached to the sides with glue and tacked from the bottom.
The feet are actually simply glued on with a few dots of super glue gel.
The lid was beveled with a #4 smooth plane. I marked out the bevel with a marking gauge, I believe it is 1" on the top and 1/4" on the side... If that makes sense. Plane the bevel on the end grain first then the long grain. It's pretty easy to get the bevel right even with the plane because you can make little adjustments as you go. Then once you get all 4 sides done, you can fine tune the corners with short passes to even them up if they are off a little.