PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Curly Box Elder Goblet with 1st Dye Attempt

steven carter
11-09-2010, 8:22 AM
This is another goblet from the curly box elder. On this one I attempted to add some dying of the bowl portion. I first dyed it black with india ink and sanded back. I had some pigment powder given to me by an artist that I mixed with dna and applied, but with poor results, the pigment solultion just prety much slid right off the goblet, It did leave a small trace, but not much. The black does highlight the curl. I then finished with home brew oil, and beall buffed. It stands about 6" tall and 2.75 wide. I have since gotten some real dye for the next time I try this.

Thanks for looking, and as always C&C welcome.

Steve

Tim Rinehart
11-09-2010, 8:50 AM
Steve,
I like it, but am curious what it started out looking like. Any chance of a 'before' shot?
The overall effect is pretty cool. Nice work for just toying around with some dye. My attempts with dye typically go in a closet till LOML forgets about them and I can toss them out.:rolleyes:

Dennis Ford
11-09-2010, 8:51 AM
That is very nice. The shape of the bowl section is excellent, as is the finish. You did a good job on the dye when you sanded it back, leaving the right amount. The stem seems thick but Box Elder is not strong enough to make a delicate looking stem.

steven carter
11-09-2010, 9:43 AM
Steve,
I like it, but am curious what it started out looking like. Any chance of a 'before' shot?
The overall effect is pretty cool. Nice work for just toying around with some dye. My attempts with dye typically go in a closet till LOML forgets about them and I can toss them out.:rolleyes:

Tim,

The stem and base did not have any dye applied, here is a quick shot of the inside of the cup.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Cool looking piece. I like the added color. Well done.

John Keeton
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Steve, dye application is really interesting - yet a little tricky at times. I like the goblet, and it certainly would make a good candidate for some dye - though it would hide some otherwise very nice character to the wood. I think dye works best on figured wood, but this piece has a bunch of other stuff going on that is kind of neat. Do you have another piece of curly BE that is not spalted?

steven carter
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Steve, dye application is really interesting - yet a little tricky at times. I like the goblet, and it certainly would make a good candidate for some dye - though it would hide some otherwise very nice character to the wood. I think dye works best on figured wood, but this piece has a bunch of other stuff going on that is kind of neat. Do you have another piece of curly BE that is not spalted?

John,

I have a couple more pieces, but with the carpenter ant damage I'm not sure what I will end up with. I have 2 HF vases drying, but not with a lot of figure, just some figure on one side. Also I could go back to the remains of the tree and see what I could find. What do you have in mind?

Steve

Jim Burr
11-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I really like the colors you ended up with Steve. I have lots of blonde curly maple I use for pens. Seemingly dull at first, but the application of dye transforms it into "Wow". I think you got some definte wow out of that one!

Baxter Smith
11-09-2010, 10:15 PM
With all the black and red it looks like its been through a war. Kind of reminds me of a bloodstained goblet. Pretty cool looking piece.

David E Keller
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Nicely done. There's a lot going on with that wood and dye, but it all kind of works for me. I feel like the base is a little thick visually for my taste, but with short grain there it's probably a smart move. I'm looking forward to what you come up with next.

steven carter
11-10-2010, 8:14 AM
Nicely done. There's a lot going on with that wood and dye, but it all kind of works for me. I feel like the base is a little thick visually for my taste, but with short grain there it's probably a smart move. I'm looking forward to what you come up with next.
David,

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure why, but something in my photography makes this goblet and the last one appear shorter and thicker than they really are. I shot them with the macro setting to show the curl, so maybe that is the reason?

Steve