PDA

View Full Version : One room schoolhouses?

Larry Edgerton
11-09-2010, 7:42 AM
I am building a replica of a one room schoolhouse for myself and was wondering if anyone rere lives/lived in one. I am clearspanning the whole structure so I can decide where things should go when I get the shell up.

What I have is a square in the center 26'10" wide x 30' long that has 10'6" ceilings, flanked on either end by what will look like the typical additions that are 24' wide by 12' and 14' long respectively, these with 8'4" ceiling heights.

I am doing just one bedroom, and I do have to take basement stairs, kitchen, and a bath out of this space. Any thoughts or pictures of your space/layout would be appreciated.

Larry

Belinda Barfield
11-09-2010, 9:53 AM
I don't have a thing to contribute other than I think this is a really cool idea, and I would love to see pictures as the project progresses. :)

David Weaver
11-09-2010, 2:02 PM
Don't live in a schoolhouse, but thought that a second group of people might be useful in this - those who have turned local train stations from pre-1900 into their housing.

Most of the schoolhouses here didn't survive, and the one I can think of that's still standing is a bar. The train stations in small towns are occupied, though, I just haven't been in them, but maybe someone else has. They have a similar issue - a couple of enclosed small spaces with one very large open space clear to the ceiling.

Joe Pelonio
11-09-2010, 2:39 PM
If it wasn't 3 hours away and I wasn't at work, I'd go look in the one up the street from my Mom in Port Angeles, WA.

Sorry.

Jim Becker
11-09-2010, 9:00 PM
There are a ton of them around here that over the years were converted to homes...mostly with substantial add-ins. They are easy to identify because they are actually "labeled" up on the front gable. Unfortunately, I've never been inside any of them.

Jerome Stanek
11-10-2010, 6:41 AM
We had classes in one when I was in elementary school.

Matt Meiser
11-10-2010, 7:52 AM
Same here--know of several but I've never been in any. There was an article in the paper about one of them but really no pictures that I recall. The story was mainly about the history teacher that lives there and how his great grandmother had taught there. There's a Michigan One Room Schoolhouse Association. Maybe they can put you in touch with some people? http://www.one-roomschool.org/

Bob Rufener
11-10-2010, 8:24 PM
We also have a lot of converted one room schools in our area. Our friends have one on their property that my mom went to school in back in the 1920's. The school buildings range from frame construction to brick, to stone. All are of different sizes so matching something to your configuration would be difficult. I'd suggest making a scale drawing of the floor plan and play around with different ideas as to how to configure the rooms. Good luck! Sounds interesting.

Bill Huber
11-10-2010, 8:45 PM
I didn't go to a one room school house, I live is a large city, well town and we had 2 room.

Here are some shots of a one room from Kansas.

166844 166845

Larry Edgerton
11-12-2010, 6:37 AM
I'm using an existing basement, [Recycling:)] and when the old house was towed away I found that the basement was not reinforced to my liking so I tore off the top two courses and will finish that up today, pouring solid concrete headers over the basement windows and pouring cores every two feet, filling the rest of the cores with Perlite.

Then I will get to the fun part.....