PDA

View Full Version : new table

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 11:03 AM
hey guys tell me what you think about this table......the wood is of course curly maple....and the top is purple heart.......it has through tendons and a silky smooth finish from tung oil hand rubbed...ask and i'll tell you what it sold for....you would not beleve

Tim Morton
12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
You may get pulled over by the picture police for PWI..... :D

Roy Wall
12-28-2004, 1:03 PM
You may get pulled over by the picture police for PWI..... :D
Yea.......try a 5x7 - the 16x20 image is wiggin' out my screen!!!:p

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 1:07 PM
yea i know....it takes a brain surgeon to figure out how to post on here....go figure.......

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 1:16 PM
sorry about all the sizes....geezzzz

Allen Grimes
12-28-2004, 1:30 PM
How much did it sell for?

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 1:44 PM
it sold for 1600.00 , and they seemed like it was a great deal.....go figure

Allen Grimes
12-28-2004, 1:51 PM
:eek: $1600... How much did you put into it? i.e. cost of materials. Man you're right I can't believe that. What are the dimensions?

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 1:56 PM
let me see...it's about 2.5' by 3.5'....standing average coffee table height.....i have not including time ...about 80 bucks in materials.....then about 15 man hours....not a bad profit if i say so myself......the custome actually came up with the design....my wife loved the table and wanted me to keep it ....i told her that i would make her another one.....lol

Allen Grimes
12-28-2004, 2:03 PM
That works out to about $100 an hour. Great job. Just hope that guy shows it off to some friends that also like to spend money. I wish all customers were like that.

Pete Lamberty
12-28-2004, 3:06 PM
If I may, I would like to ask how did you come up with that price? Do you sell much of your work Christopher? Although I don't care for the design, I am very happy for your good fortune. Good for you. ;)

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 3:17 PM
yes i sell all of my work , i own the business, the price was a negotated price after i figured labor at my rate, then there was the 6 coats of hand rubbed tung oil, plus the added feature of the through tennons, that i had never done before, that took some time and skill to get perfect, most of my price to the man was on labor....the man is a lawyer in my area and he stated that he wanted that exact table for a room he was doing in in house.....hey all i can say is he agreed to the price and he got what he wanted

Kent Cori
12-28-2004, 3:47 PM
Great work Chris and I'm happy that you got your price! I'm sure your lawyer client will really like it.

Jim VanBramer
12-28-2004, 4:42 PM
Nice project Christopher ... I love the combination of those two woods! I don't know about you, but I really enjoy when a project makes me tackle a new technique .. adds to the fun of it all. Great work ... keep posting those pics!

Jim V

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 4:53 PM
yea those through tendons on that curly maple without busting out on either side was a rough challange....i enjoyed working on this project....plus all of those curves to match each other , curly maple is not that easy to work with , but it was fun doing something else rather than kitchen cabinets....lol

Randy Chapman
12-28-2004, 6:18 PM
I dunno; the price doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Look at what Ethan Allen sells for $550: http://www.ethanallen.com/ea/com.ethanallen.ecom.FrameDirectorServlet?top=1&body=1

Yours uses "exotic" woods, old-world finishing, better joinery and -- most important -- is made to the exact specifications of a client. A client that knows how much custom expert labor costs, considering how much he bills :-)

Hopefully, also, a client who has similar friends, instead of the normal cheapskates!

--randy

christopher webb
12-28-2004, 7:17 PM
well i guess you are right randy.....who can argue with what a person wants or as far as that goes what a customer needs to make his or her rooms be what they want them to be,,,,,and it is much better quality than ethan allen stuff....so there you go i guess it is true you realy get what you pay for