PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Birch Hollowform and Bowl

Baxter Smith
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
This summer I cut a few dead white birch. Some had a lot of wind shake/ring shake and they may have cracked a bit more when they were felled. A lot was waste but still had enough to rough out a variety of shapes. Turned a couple thin for something different. Did this small hollowform about a month ago. Turned it to finish thickness in one setting. I was not trying to copy any style in particular so if it reminds you of one, it is totally accidental.:) The birch bowls have seemed to be pretty stable so I was interested to see what would happen with a HF.
3.25 x 5 x 3/16 except for the center of the bottom where it’s a couple hairs under 1/16. Not too many more hairs there. Finished with maybe 3 coats of AO. Its been sitting on my table saw in a bag for a month so the number is a guess.

A couple days ago my sister requested a small candy type bowl for her fatherinlaws birthday. The only one I had that sort of fit the bill was a birch one I had once turned but never sanded. Did a quick sand followed by BLO, shellac and 5 coats of gloss spray lacquer then gently buffed.

I didn’t know what she wanted on the bottom till tonight so the lacquer melted and discolored. Better luck next year. Will be handing it off to her at the New Jersey Botanical Garden so it can continue its trip back to Maine.:)
7.75 x 2.75 .x 1/4

Took the pictures and thought I would post just to show the comparison of finishes on spalted white birch..

David E Keller
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
That's good looking stuff there, Baxter. I like the HF shape, and the bowl is nicely done as well.

John Keeton
11-09-2010, 6:41 AM
Beautiful wood, Baxter, and I kind of like the amber that the BLO/shellac gives the bowl.

On the HF, which I think is great, the grain orientation really adds to the piece IMO. Seems to provide an added lift to the already uplifting form. Had you reversed the grain, I think it would have fought the form.

Nice work!

Tony Greenway
11-09-2010, 8:19 AM
Beautiful work, Baxter:D

steven carter
11-09-2010, 8:27 AM
Baxter,

I don't know which I like better, the HF or the bowl. I like both of the finishes. I love turning birch, I just cut some up to use for the globes for
Christmas ornaments which I usually pierce, so I'll see how it does for that application. I am sure the recipient of the bowl will treasure it!

Steve

Baxter Smith
11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
That's good looking stuff there, Baxter. I like the HF shape, and the bowl is nicely done as well.
Thanks David.

Beautiful wood, Baxter, and I kind of like the amber that the BLO/shellac gives the bowl.

On the HF, which I think is great, the grain orientation really adds to the piece IMO. Seems to provide an added lift to the already uplifting form. Had you reversed the grain, I think it would have fought the form.

Nice work!
Thanks John, the birch seems to spalt sooner on the outside sapwood so putting the outside on top was pretty much the only way to go on the HF.
The tree that the bowl came from was a little further gone.

Beautiful work, Baxter:D
Thanks Tony.

Baxter,

I don't know which I like better, the HF or the bowl. I like both of the finishes. I love turning birch, I just cut some up to use for the globes for
Christmas ornaments which I usually pierce, so I'll see how it does for that application. I am sure the recipient of the bowl will treasure it!

Steve
Thanks Steve, the birch turned easily and has some interesting spalt lines. Seems to lend itself quite well to hollowforms no matter which way you orient it. I have only turned dead and spalting birch but it also seems to be pretty stable(doesn't change shape very much) and pretty resistant to cracking once turned. Hope you post your ornaments, I would like to see them.

Jim Burr
11-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Ok...I like the illusion of the spalting around the bowl rim that givse it the look of a bead. And when you find out it's not there, you get a good, hefty utilitarian bowl with a good finish. The hollow form maintains a good curve all around. The neck is lifting and has a good opening diameter. The matte finish is my favorite..most of the time;) Those would look great in anyone's home!!

Nathan Hawkes
11-10-2010, 1:14 AM
Baxter, they're both nice, but I especially like the hollow form. Spalted beech is really gorgeous. I wish I could get my hands on it more often!

charlie knighton
11-10-2010, 1:23 AM
very nice....

Robert McGowen
11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice work, Baxter. You should be proud of both pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Baxter - I've turned quite a bit of spalted white birch and you did good on both of these pieces! I really like the organic feel to your hollow form! I normally use a gloss finish but have to admit that I like the soft look you achieved with the AO.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Baxter those are nice pieces. I really like the form on your HF.

Rob Cunningham
11-10-2010, 1:01 PM
Good looking HF and bowl from some beautiful wood.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-10-2010, 6:40 PM
Nice work on both of these Baxter. Don't ya just love spalted wood? You've done this wood justice.:)

Baxter Smith
11-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment! The birch turns easily and with the spalting, makes any shape look good! Finish too!:)

Thom Sturgill
11-11-2010, 7:48 AM
I've never tried birch, but these are nice pieces. I like the lacquer finish, but tend to rub the inside of my bowls with steel wool to reduce the shine there. That way people seem to worry less about scuffing the interior!

I like both, a lot! thanks for showing.

David DeCristoforo
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Somehow I missed this. Had my head up my... oh... no wait... can't say that! Anyway those are some really nice looking turnings. The HF is very nice but I really like the bowl. So simple, letting the wood "do the talking. Very nice. So far, my attempts at turning spaltet wood have not been nearly so successful...

Baxter Smith
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never tried birch, but these are nice pieces. I like the lacquer finish, but tend to rub the inside of my bowls with steel wool to reduce the shine there. That way people seem to worry less about scuffing the interior!

I like both, a lot! thanks for showing.
Thanks Tom. Birch is pretty plain but spalted birch is fun to work with. I like the idea of rubbing the inside with steel wool to reduce the shine. I only had a couple days to finish it so went with the lacquer. Applied it one day, then gently buffed it to smooth it out 24 hours later. Next time!

Somehow I missed this. Had my head up my... oh... no wait... can't say that! Anyway those are some really nice looking turnings. The HF is very nice but I really like the bowl. So simple, letting the wood "do the talking. Very nice. So far, my attempts at turning spaltet wood have not been nearly so successful...
Thanks David. Glad you got it out ok.;) The bowl came from a tree that was a little further gone than the HF... but not too far gone. Would be interesting to know the amount of time each had been dead just to compare.