PDA

View Full Version : RAS next to SCMS???

Joe Shinall
11-08-2010, 9:58 PM
I am looking into building a bench across an 18' wall in my shop. I want my 10" sliding compound miter saw next to my Radial Arm Saw as to where the bench serves as a level support all the way across for both saws.

Does anyone else have something setup like this and if so, can you show me some pictures?

It is as functional as I am thinking?

Dave MacArthur
11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Joe,
I don't have a setup like that, but I will say that in the last week while browsing here I did see at least 3 such setups with pics. I was browsing a search string for "outfeed tables", if that helps.

Also, there was a thread on the value of RAS vs. SCMS last month, and I believe I saw several pics in there of such setups. Sure wish I had a link for you, sorry.

Joe Shinall
11-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Dave. I know I saw a setup like that a while back but couldn't remember where. I tried doing some searches and didn't come up with much. I will try that one and see if I can find it. Thanks again!

Gene Howe
11-09-2010, 6:07 AM
Can't help with pictures, but I'm in the midst of building a bench for a SCMS and bench top drill press.
Mine is 8' long with the SCMS roughly in the middle and the DP 18" in from the left end.
I'm assuming that you will not be using the stock stand for the RAS. That would put the top of the bench too low for me. Also, unless you plan to make your bench different depths, or let the RAS table stick out, the depth would be too wide for the SCMS, if you are using a fence that extends the full length to serve the RAS and SCMS.
I think you'd be better off setting the RAS towards the end of the bench, aligning it's table with the bench top(s) and using it's fence instead of the permanent fence used with the RAS. Especially since changing the fence and table is often necessary. (depending on frequency of use)
The RAS fence would be back from the SCMS fence and, wouldn't interfere.
Just my thoughts.

Roger Bullock
11-09-2010, 7:23 AM
I don't have a RAS but do have a SCMS set on built-in table with 6 ft. on each side of blade. At initial setup I bolted the SCMS down with its fence parallel to the in feed and out feed fences. Great for framing cuts but not woodworking IMO.

When cutting, the board needs to be in contact with both fences of the SCMS for safety and to make a true angled cut. I found that with the saw bolted down it was easy to get poor cuts due to any small thing on either out feed fences pulse error would be compounded on longer boards if the saw fence was even slightly out of square (which happens to all tools over time).

Currently I don't have the saw bolted down which allows me to move it out from the stationary fences just a little when and if needed. This has cut down on cutting errors that can really show up when cutting picture frames or molding/trim around on three sides of case or cabinet.

Chris Damm
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Norm built something like this on New Yankee Workshop. If the site is still up you could check it out.

Steve Peterson
11-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a 14' wide bench with a CMS, router, and RAS mounted side by side. There is a 3' wide table on the left and a 4' wide table on the right. It works well for me.

I like being able to line up the fences to support long pieces of wood.

The biggest hassle is clearing off the table sections every time I want to cut something long. The side tables seem to attract piles of stuff almost instantly.

Steve

Joe Shinall
11-09-2010, 6:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The RAS will stick out further due to the fence setup but that is ok with me. I just have such a small area and so many tools that I just need to get everything organized finally and make more use of the space.

Steve, I am trying to do what I can to make it where everything has a place so I don't end up with the same problem. My tablesaw wing and workbench always end up like that and I need to address that so it doesn't happen again.

Jim Becker
11-09-2010, 9:19 PM
Norm built something like this on New Yankee Workshop. If the site is still up you could check it out.

Exactly what I was going to mention. There are plans for the bench setup available at newyankee.com I believe...

Joe Shinall
11-09-2010, 9:54 PM
Exactly what I was going to mention. There are plans for the bench setup available at newyankee.com I believe...

I found it! Looks really nice and I like the way he set the chopsaw back with 2 levels, but I can't do that since mine is a slider. But I at least see how useful it can be and go from there. Should be fairly easy to setup. Thanks for the link idea guys.