PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a hands on with Bosch Articulated Miter Saw??

Ben Cadotte
11-08-2010, 9:08 PM
I was considering buying a new miter saw and ran into the Bosch Articulated Miter Saw. It's a couple hundred more than the Dewalt, but less than a Kapex. To me it seems without the slides it would be very accurate. And the front controls seem to be a good idea as well. I have not seen it (no stores carry it in my area).

Wondering if anyone went to the IWF or has gotten their hands on it someplace else??

Logan William
11-08-2010, 9:43 PM
I think its an interesting concept, to me the biggest benefit is that the rails don't stick out so far out the back that it saves a considerable amount of depth. I've looked around and haven't seen any in the stores but am anxious to find one and get my hands on it.

Dave Lehnert
11-08-2010, 9:57 PM
I too look forward to some reviews. A miter saw, in my opinion, is one tool that is 100% accurate or it's junk.

David Hostetler
11-08-2010, 10:10 PM
That's a mighty spendy miter saw for sure, but if it lives up to its promise, that could be a real innovation. I love the fact that there are no rails to occupy space behind the saw...

Chris Brault
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
i came so close to ordering one of those saws.......... but like dave said,,,, its either great or prob. garbage....... hate to say it.... so I'm waiting. the luck i've had recently with bosch front loading washers,,,,, maybe its a good thing i'm waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave MacArthur
11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
It won best slider in the 2011 Tool Guide from FWW I just picked up this week, I think... or else they just really talked it up. Looks great in there. I don't have a sliding CMS, just a DeWalt miter saw, but after reading all the threads on RAS vs. SCMS this month, and folks comments on cross cutting, I think I'd like to upgrade to one... and this is the one I'm looking at too.

Chris Friesen
11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I too look forward to some reviews. A miter saw, in my opinion, is one tool that is 100% accurate or it's junk.

I have yet to see a slider of any brand that is as accurate as a non-slider. Every saw that I've tested (including the new Bosch and the Kapex) I can grab onto the handle and wiggle the blade back and forth by at least 1/8".

That said, the new Bosch was better than most standard sliders and the glide action was indeed silky smooth. The reviews are not complimentary as far as dust collection though...put a powerful shop vac on it and the little rubber hood just collapses under the suction. Oops!

Roger Jensen
11-09-2010, 2:07 PM
I have yet to see a slider of any brand that is as accurate as a non-slider. Every saw that I've tested (including the new Bosch and the Kapex) I can grab onto the handle and wiggle the blade back and forth by at least 1/8".

That said, the new Bosch was better than most standard sliders and the glide action was indeed silky smooth. The reviews are not complimentary as far as dust collection though...put a powerful shop vac on it and the little rubber hood just collapses under the suction. Oops!

Hi Chris,

Where did you get to test the Bosch? Was it as the IWF or are they hitting the stores in your area. I'd like to see one.

How much pressure are you putting on the saws to get them to deflect 1/8 of an inch? That seems like a huge amount and wouldn't be an effective tool for anyone. As much as the Kapax has been reviewed I would think someone would have mentioned this defect.

I have an older Bosch slider that probably has some kind of deflection, but I've never tried to tork it to the side. I'm more concerned with how much it deflects under normal use.

Thanks,

Roger

Chris Tsutsui
11-09-2010, 3:07 PM
1/8" deflection on a Kapex? You have to be bending the blade to do that because my budgetary Hitachi 10" isn't that bad and the Kapex is a huge leap ahead of my saw.

My advise is to try to find the Bosch for under $600 because $800 is the MSRP, and there will be dealers willing to sell it for a smaller margin if you look hard enough. One guy on this forum said he found it for like $560 or something like that... For that price it's a no brainer for me to get the ARM if it's superior to the rail system.

My only concern is somebody that has used both the Kapex and Bosch, said the Kapex will be superior for finish cuts, but the Bosch will be a superior benchmark saw for job sites, and general construction.

Seeing as how most people on this forum do fine WW, the Kapex won't be obsoleted by this Bosch Arm.

Jeff Monson
11-09-2010, 3:17 PM
I use a Kapex, it does not have 1/8" of deflection. I'd really like to see the new Bosch in person, it looks like a great design.

Richard Wolf
11-09-2010, 3:47 PM
I have seen and played with both. I really think the overall table size of the Bosch is a really big plus. Much better set up for large workpieces.
Of course you can make any slider deflect with enough side force. Learn how to use the saw consistintly with muscle memory and careful application of downward force and you will achieve precision results.

I think a slider is much better than a non slider because of the angle of attack an a non plunge type cut.
Just my $.02.

Richard

Matthew Hills
11-09-2010, 4:09 PM
Can the articulated saw be used for dados/half-laps? (ie, can you get a flat, non-through cut?)

Matt

Ben Cadotte
11-09-2010, 6:21 PM
1/8" deflection on a Kapex? You have to be bending the blade to do that because my budgetary Hitachi 10" isn't that bad and the Kapex is a huge leap ahead of my saw.

My advise is to try to find the Bosch for under $600 because $800 is the MSRP, and there will be dealers willing to sell it for a smaller margin if you look hard enough. One guy on this forum said he found it for like $560 or something like that... For that price it's a no brainer for me to get the ARM if it's superior to the rail system.

My only concern is somebody that has used both the Kapex and Bosch, said the Kapex will be superior for finish cuts, but the Bosch will be a superior benchmark saw for job sites, and general construction.

Seeing as how most people on this forum do fine WW, the Kapex won't be obsoleted by this Bosch Arm.

The MSRP is $1599, the best I have seen so far is $800 to $850. But its not in full stock everwhere. I saw some blogs referencing $699 as a street price, but so far nobody I have seen is lower than $799. I might wait till the holiday prices come out. But pretty sure I am going to give it a try.

michael craigdallie
11-09-2010, 6:31 PM
my local woodworking machine store had one at their open house last month (li am on vancouver island, canada). i looked at it but not really closely as i am not in the market for a new scm saw right now. but from what i did see it did seem like a nice saw. the pivot arms worked very smooth but still seemed very stiff. i had always thought that if i did upgrade it would be to a kapex but i would now give this saw some consideration.

cheers,
m

Aaron Hancock
11-09-2010, 7:41 PM
How do the bosch pivots work? Bearings or bushings? What kind of maintenance do they need? Seems to me like they're making something pretty simple pretty complicated..

Karl Brogger
11-09-2010, 7:45 PM
Probably junk. Just like virtually every single new design in woodworking power tools.

I wish I had the money to start a tool company from scratch. A company that makes quality tools, that last. Tools that may be expensive, but are a good value.

Roger Jensen
11-09-2010, 7:47 PM
I think the reason it is complicated is they are eliminating the rear clearance necessary on most sliders. If that isn't important to you it wouldn't make sense to pay the premium for it.

I would think both the Kapax and new Bosch are for permanently mounted saws in shops, when you want to save space behind the saw. If you are using it on a portable stand on a job site I would think you could find the space to move the saw to get the clearance behind it.

Karl Brogger
11-09-2010, 7:50 PM
This is a saw for permanently mounting in a shop:

http://www.omgainc.com/images/products/10/MEC_300_ST_LARGE.jpg

After using one, you debate whether lugging a 150# saw into a house is worth it.

Aaron Hancock
11-09-2010, 7:58 PM
I understand the main advantage is size, but what are you sacrificing? My slider has two spots for "movement", where the rails pass through the body. The bosch, by my count has 5 places where movement is possible. If each bearing gains 1/64th of movement over the life of the saw your looking at as much as 5/64th of play, and thats not acceptable, especially in a shop.

Kevin Groenke
11-09-2010, 9:14 PM

http://www.omgainc.com/images/products/10/MEC_300_ST_LARGE.jpg

After using one, you debate whether lugging a 150# saw into a house is worth it.

And the compound angle and crosscut capacity of the OMGA are?

0 and 5-1/8" ...3-3/4" at 45. Not very versatile for ~ $2000.
http://www.omgainc.com/productfamily_detail.php?cid=2&sub_id=0&pid=10

Chris Friesen
11-10-2010, 10:31 AM
If each bearing gains 1/64th of movement over the life of the saw your looking at as much as 5/64th of play, and thats not acceptable, especially in a shop.

The bearings are adjustable to take up any play that shows up over time. I would suspect they're also replaceable over time.

Chris Friesen
11-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Where did you get to test the Bosch? Was it as the IWF or are they hitting the stores in your area. I'd like to see one.

How much pressure are you putting on the saws to get them to deflect 1/8 of an inch?

I tested the Bosch at a local wood show. (I'm up in Canada.)

As for the saw deflection, I was indeed putting a fair bit of side pressure on them. The comment mentioned "100% accurate or its junk" and my point is simply that due to the nature of a slider you've got a much longer lever arm to allow for deflection compared to a non-slider.

Also, I think I may not have been clear...I was talking about 1/8" deflection total, or 1/16th each way. Some cheap saws are much worse, of course.

Try it yourself sometime...extend a slider all the way out (or all the way in, depending on the saw) and press it firmly to either side while looking carefully at the blade where it passes through the bed. I bet you'll see movement. If you try the same thing with a good non-slider, the movement is much less.

Karl Brogger
11-10-2010, 3:25 PM
And the compound angle and crosscut capacity of the OMGA are?

0 and 5-1/8" ...3-3/4" at 45. Not very versatile for ~ $2000.
http://www.omgainc.com/productfamily_detail.php?cid=2&sub_id=0&pid=10

Its not about versatility. Its about quality equipment. When you've got a whole shop at your disposal there's a lot of options on how something can be accomplished. I've got an old Derda chop box, (circa 1994), that I think was the predecessor to the OMGA's. I wouldn't trade that saw for anything, other than a new OMGA, it'll last me a very long time. Where as a normal chop box is ready for the dumpster after a couple of years of cutting out face frames and door parts. If I had more space and money most of that duty would be transfered over to an undercut saw with a Tiger-Stop, but those aren't real versatile either.:D

The OMGA's are worth every penny, but it'd be nice if there was something to fill the niche in between industrial: (OMGA), and cheap garbage: (DeWalt/Makita/etc...). I've got a 5-3/4" sliding Makita saw for install work, and its a decent little unit. Plus it weighs nothing. Its greatest strength is the tiny blade. There's no wobble, and the cuts are extremely smooth. I do wish it had a soft start, and double compounded though. But neither is a major issue.

I'd think the Bosch setup might be a good alternative to having a regular slider. Especially if the pivot points are easily rebuildable. The downside is it looks like a lot of plastic bits on there. That stuff doesn't last long sliding around in a pickup box. Plus I hate 12" mitre saws, blades are more expensive then a 10" or less. Plus the bigger the blade, the more wobble can occur.

Mark Ashmeade
11-10-2010, 3:40 PM
Probably junk. Just like virtually every single new design in woodworking power tools.

I imagine when the first motorized jointer was produced, the old boys with their hand planes thought much the same. I'm sure once they tried the new machine though, they had their opinion changed for them.

I wish I had the money to start a tool company from scratch. A company that makes quality tools, that last. Tools that may be expensive, but are a good value.

To me, Robert Bosch makes some excellent tools. My grandfather's belt sander is exactly the same design 20-odd years on. I'd say that they last. They're expensive(ish), but good value. I'd be hard put to identify a better belt sander at any price.

Karl Brogger
11-10-2010, 3:55 PM
What I was getting at, is all the new stuff typically isn't as good as the product it replaced.

New Hitachi saws? Junk.
New Powermatic equipment? Junk
Everything Portercable makes since being bought out be DeWalt? Junk.

(edit)- go find a Porter Cable 504 belt sander. That design stayed more or less the same since the 50's. And was discontinued from the Black&Decker acquisition of Porter Cable, along with some other respectable tools. What was left was cheapened up.

Noah Katz
11-10-2010, 8:02 PM
How do the bosch pivots work? Bearings or bushings? What kind of maintenance do they need? Seems to me like they're making something pretty simple pretty complicated..

Simple is a single-pivot non-slider, with its attendant lower cut capacity.

If each bearing gains 1/64th of movement over the life of the saw your looking at as much as 5/64th of play, and thats not acceptable, especially in a shop.

You'd have to open up the seals and put abrasive grit to get that kind of wear in a ball bearing in less than many years.

Jon McElwain
11-11-2010, 1:25 PM

Of course at $2000, I might consider a kapex and some other tools....

John M Wilson
11-11-2010, 4:07 PM
the niche in between industrial: (OMGA), and cheap garbage: (DeWalt/Makita/etc...).

I could appreciate your point of view better if you didn't generalize, calling everything below a certain price point "cheap garbage".

I think there are very many valid niches and price points among power tools (as there are among most consumer products).

For weekend warriors on a limited budget, spending $2000 on a miter saw may be overkill, or financially foolish.

A more constructive way to have this discussion may be "for professionals who use their tools every day and have $2000 to spend on a miter saw, OMGA is the best". That gets your point out without the implied insult to those who might happen to own tools which would not be suitable for your needs, but are working just fine for them.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to come out that way, but my mileage definitely varies :D

Bruce Page
11-11-2010, 4:42 PM
I could appreciate your point of view better if you didn't generalize, calling everything below a certain price point "cheap garbage".

I think there are very many valid niches and price points among power tools (as there are among most consumer products).

For weekend warriors on a limited budget, spending $2000 on a miter saw may be overkill, or financially foolish.

A more constructive way to have this discussion may be "for professionals who use their tools every day and have $2000 to spend on a miter saw, OMGA is the best". That gets your point out without the implied insult to those who might happen to own tools which would not be suitable for your needs, but are working just fine for them.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to come out that way, but my mileage definitely varies :D

Well said.

Craig Carpenter
11-11-2010, 9:18 PM

Telescopic, not sure whether bushed or bearings, I understand they're sealed from sawdust as well. I shopped them too. I like to be able to operate a miter saw while holding the guard up with my thumb so I can get my eagle eye on my pencil mark. Once the saw begins its cut, I release the guard and finish the cut. I've seen Carpenters who remove the guard for this purpose. I've also seen them draw back a stub or bump the blade with their hand before it stops. The Milwaukee 5565-20 (I own) allows me to operate while being able to hold the guard up while starting my cut. I've got a friend that swears by the Newest Hitachi slider. Kapex is way beyond my budget and one of those tools that creap into my dreams at night.

John Gregory
11-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I agree with you. I make decisions based on value for the dollar. I try to take the middle road due to limited funds. I do not buy the cheapest, and cannot afford the most expensive. I try to find the middle ground that I can afford. And expensive does not always mean the best.

Charles Wiggins
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I was considering buying a new miter saw and ran into the Bosch Articulated Miter Saw. It's a couple hundred more than the Dewalt, but less than a Kapex. To me it seems without the slides it would be very accurate. And the front controls seem to be a good idea as well. I have not seen it (no stores carry it in my area).

Wondering if anyone went to the IWF or has gotten their hands on it someplace else??

Ben,

I have one on order from the Klingspor WW show in Hickory, NC a couple weekends ago. I got to play with one for a few mins. at the show and it is VERY smooth. The Freud vendor came by while I was there - he had picked one up the first day while they still had them in stock. He had put a 96-tooth blade on it and had cut a compound miter in some cherry. The cut was sweet. No marks -smooth as glass and ready to finish. I can't wait to get mine.

Cheers,
Charles

Karl Brogger
11-12-2010, 7:56 PM

I'm sorry about that John. I haven't been impressed with a single new design that replaced an older one in quite a while. Actually, if ever. Some of these companies made good quality tools. Tools that have been dumbed down, or removed from the lineup because they aren't moving enough units a year. Tools that fit into the very niche I was trying to bring up.

Its just upsetting to me. I spend $80 on an electric sander and its junk in three or four months. Give me something worth rebuilding instead of something disposable. Less plastic, more metal. Something worth taking care of, and to take in pride in owning. Festool probably could fill that same niche, but there's no value. The cost isn't justifiable by being a bit nicer. If you were to take out the import taxes, the extreme cost of doing business in the EU, shipping, and exchange rates it'd probably be a different story though.

Like I said, if I had the capital to start a small tool manufacturing company I would.

Tom Hintz
11-13-2010, 2:52 AM
Ben,

I have one on order from the Klingspor WW show in Hickory, NC a couple weekends ago. I got to play with one for a few mins. at the show and it is VERY smooth. The Freud vendor came by while I was there - he had picked one up the first day while they still had them in stock. He had put a 96-tooth blade on it and had cut a compound miter in some cherry. The cut was sweet. No marks -smooth as glass and ready to finish. I can't wait to get mine.

Cheers,
Charles

I got my shipping info yesterday and the tracking says my saw will be here on Monday. I also have played with these ast the shows but while I have lots of confidence in Bosch seeing an actual production unit remains the real test. I am getting the shop set up and ready for this one!

Peter Pedisich
11-13-2010, 8:48 AM
Give me something worth rebuilding instead of something disposable. Less plastic, more metal. Something worth taking care of, and to take in pride in owning.

AMEN!

My sentiments exactly.

Noah Katz
11-13-2010, 1:50 PM
If you were to take out the import taxes, the extreme cost of doing business in the EU, shipping, and exchange rates it'd probably be a different story though.

Doesn't Bosch have all of those costs?

Peter Pedisich
11-13-2010, 6:21 PM
Doesn't Bosch have all of those costs?

Noah,
Bosch has comparable design/engineering/development cost to Festool, but Festool still manufactures almost all their tools and accessories in Germany. Bosch manufactures their products throughout the world taking advantage of lower labor rates and better exchange rates.
-Pete

Brian Haynie
11-17-2010, 7:40 AM
After years with my 10" Hitachi slider, I am going to pull the trigger on this saw. Does anyone know if the WW shows will have decent pricing on them? I know they are expensive, but if it lasts as long as my Hitachi, it will pay for itself many times over.

Thanks everyone, I love the site. Lot's of great info and awesome projects.

keith denbesten
11-18-2010, 7:17 PM
Got it set up and took one test cut. Dust collection is way better than I expected, and it's as smooth as a 30 year old Scotch. I'll report after I get a chance to work it a bit.

Robert Chapman
11-18-2010, 9:06 PM
Keith - Please give us a report after you use the saw. Anyone who equates smoothness with 30 year old scotch is obviously very perceptive, appreciates fine things and may even know how to cut wood.

Neal Clayton
11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Its not about versatility. Its about quality equipment. When you've got a whole shop at your disposal there's a lot of options on how something can be accomplished.

so it's not about how useful something is, but how much you paid for it, is what you're saying?

Robert Chapman
11-19-2010, 8:30 PM
Check www.newwoodworker.com (http://www.newwoodworker.com) for a pretty thorough review.

Karl Brogger
11-19-2010, 9:29 PM
so it's not about how useful something is, but how much you paid for it, is what you're saying?

yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying..... :rolleyes:

I paid $200 for my Derda at an auction BTW.

Let's look at this another way. A quick look on Amazon the New Bosch is selling for $820. It may or may not be a good value. Time and talking to the guys who fix them will be the only way to know. Now if brand X offered a new saw that looked simple, didn't have a laser, or clamps, or..... just a simple, comfortable quality saw for the same money. Which would you buy?

but.....

Like I said before, how many of the replacement tools in recent history have been better than the predecessor? Some new semi-useful widgets, lower over all quality, and a higher price tag. That seems to be the trend.

Why are you trying to make me sound like an elitist-jerk Neal Clayton?

Chris Parks
11-20-2010, 4:34 AM

Congratulations. I only paid $50 for my Hitachi, it is over 30 years old and still going so by that definition you paid too much. Why belittle anyone who wants to buy a modern tool it is their choice not yours.

Robert Chapman
11-21-2010, 11:43 AM
After reading Tom's review on newwoodworker.com and having some discussion with Tom about the saw and after my wife offered to buy me one for Christmas it looks like one should be here by Dec.1st. I'll post my reactions as soon as I have some.

frank shic
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
wow! the improved dust collection and the improvement in space makes upgrading worth considering mwahahahaha

John Sanford
11-22-2010, 1:11 AM

Let's look at this another way. A quick look on Amazon the New Bosch is selling for $820. It may or may not be a good value. Time and talking to the guys who fix them will be the only way to know. Oh, so perhaps you were hasty to declare a new tool that you haven't even seen "junk"?

Now if brand X offered a new saw that looked simple, didn't have a laser, or clamps, or..... just a simple, comfortable quality saw for the same money. Which would you buy

but.....

Like I said before, how many of the replacement tools in recent history have been better than the predecessor? Some new semi-useful widgets, lower over all quality, and a higher price tag. That seems to be the trend.

Karl, I don't think he's trying. :rolleyes:

First, I'm getting some some cognitive dissonance coming from your posts. You complain about all the plastic in modern tools, and note how all the plastic on the new Bosch probably wouldn't survive "sliding around in the back of a pickup truck." :eek: Okay, so why in the heck are you leaving the saw to slide around in the truck? If it's a valuable tool, secure it! Of course, if Bosch made it completely out of metal, instead you'd have to worry either about it beating the daylights out of the truck bed, or giving you a hernia getting it in and out of the truck. So what's it gonna be?

Plastics are not inherently bad. Why is it impossible to find a metal bodied portable electric drill anymore? AFAIK, nobody makes one, not Festool, not Milwaukee, nobody. Is it because everybody is cheap? Nope. It's because a plastic body will deform when you drop it, and that deformation absorbs energy. The same drop will either crack/shatter a metal body, or the energy will be transmitted into the operating bits inside the tool, with deletrious effects. The plastic body itself is, relatively speaking, non-conductive. Can't say the same for a metal body! For the application, engineered plastics are simply better. This, of course, doesn't mean that there aren't manufacturers that use cheap plastics, or plastics where metal would be better, but then again, there's plenty of cheap metal pieces parts and tools out there as well.

Tool companies have one mission. To make money. Their method of doing so is making, marketing and selling tools. The question isn't whether or not the glorious tools you envision can be made, they can. The question is, can a company make money at it? Are here enough folks who will actually plunk down the money to buy the tools Brogger Industries builds to make it profitable? Not even "can it make more money than all the other companies?", simply "can it turn a profit?"

Is it really worth it to spend 5 times as much on a tool that will last 7 times as long? Let's take your sander example. Assume that instead of the $80 DeWalt you take issue with, you could spend $350 for a solid sander that will last for 8 years instead of 1, with a $50 rebuild at the 4 year mark. Great, you say, and whip out your checkbook.

Hoooold on says the accountant. Howzabout we spend $80 on the DeWalt now, and invest the other $270 into product that we sell, generating a 20% return on it. At the end of the year, we've got $334, we take $80 for a new sander, invest the remainder, rinse, repeat.

Where's the break even point? Perhaps the Brogger UberSander does come out ahead strictly on $$$, but what happens if you have an average of 1 sander every 5 years either lost or destroyed on the job? (Who knows, maybe it wasn't secured properly in the truck and got bounced out... :p ) Nut's, there's a $350 replacement... This, btw, is part of the situation the Germans had during WW2. The Panther and Tiger tanks were superbly engineered and built with stereotypical German craftsmanship (i.e., top notch). In the same amount of time as it took them to build a Panther, an American or Russian factory would turn out 4 tanks. Sure, the Allied tanks weren't quite as good one on one, but the German tanks didn't last 4 times as long on the battlefield. They were seriously over-engineered and overbuilt, and thus too expensive, so the Germans didn't have nearly as many as they would have had had they gone with simpler and yes, cheaper engineering.

I would love to see you get your investors, and start producing the tools you have in mind. I'm sure you'd get some people buying them, there's even a good chance I'd be one of 'em. Even here on the Creek, where there's a higher concentration of "tool junkies" than in the trades in general, and much higher than in the general population, you still see many, many people balk at the cost of a Festool sander or a Baldor grinder. I'd only give you about a 20% chance of getting enough people buying them to keep the company going, and that may be optimistic. The tool companies we have today aren't all run by stupid people. If they thought there was a reasonable chance they could make money at it, one or more would give it a shot. Maybe in 5-30 years when the differential between manufacturing labor costs and repair labor costs is no longer so greatly in favor of manufacturing the pendulum will swing towards more repairable tools, but right now, when it costs the equivalent of at most 3 hours of labor to buy a new sander, versus 2 hours to repair it, it just doesn't make sense to repair, especially since you could have a spare cheap sander on the shelf ready to go, meaning no downtime at all.

You don't even have to start your own company to get the tools you want. There are probably 10-50 companies in the US alone who can and will build them for you. It's unlikely though that you aret willing to pay what it would cost to build "non junk". So who's fault is it that the tools you want won't be built?

Roger Jensen
11-22-2010, 1:51 AM
Hi John - great, thoughtful post. Agree 100% with your analysis.

Roger

Brian Haynie
11-22-2010, 8:33 AM
Wow. Not quite the responses I was expecting. I don't remember this much bickering here before ( I've been reading on and off for awhile). Anyway, it looks looks an awesome saw and I could definitely use the other 12" of space that my bench needs for my current slider.

I'll be going to the WW show in January to check it out and I'll have a test run and hopefully a new saw with a good deal!

Ted Wong
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Seems like you're doing that well enough all on your own Karl.

Robert Chapman
11-22-2010, 2:26 PM
wow! the improved dust collection and the improvement in space makes upgrading worth considering mwahahahaha

Frank - I'm just an Upper Michigan guy - what does "mwahahahaha" mean? Thanks Frank.

Bob Chapman

Chris Padilla
11-22-2010, 2:39 PM
Some folks need to chill just a wee bit here. Let's keep the thread friendly please...hate to send it into the black hole....

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2010, 4:18 PM
Wonder if a 10" model is not too far behind??

frank shic
11-22-2010, 5:10 PM
Frank - I'm just an Upper Michigan guy - what does "mwahahahaha" mean? Thanks Frank.

Bob Chapman

it's the evil laugh ;)

C Scott McDonald
11-22-2010, 8:00 PM
Wonder if a 10" model is not too far behind??

I think I am going to hold out for a 10" version. I played with one at the store and just don't see myself cutting small molding or anything along those lines. It is a lot of saw.

Still it is going to be the new standard in SCMS.

Steve Griffin
11-22-2010, 8:53 PM
I think I am going to hold out for a 10" version. I played with one at the store and just don't see myself cutting small molding or anything along those lines. It is a lot of saw.

Still it is going to be the new standard in SCMS.

Why don't you think a 12" can cut small molding?

I've been doing it for years and had no idea it was a problem...

-Steve

C Scott McDonald
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Why don't you think a 12" can cut small molding?

I've been doing it for years and had no idea it was a problem...

-Steve

Good for you Sir.

Roger Jensen
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I have no way of knowing if/when of course, but I would image the 10" will come eventually. If not, perhaps the space savings achieved with a 10" SCMS is less significant than a 12" so the price increase would make it too expensive to compete with other 10" saws.

It is fun for us to speculate, eh?

Roger