PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Tools Gloat

Nate Davey
11-08-2010, 6:43 PM
Came home from work today to find my new Thompson 3/8 Detail Gouge and their new 16" handle waiting for me. Was excited and ready to go out to the garage to give it a try but the wife said I had to do my homework first. Feels very nice and the gouge looks impressive.

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 7:10 PM
Very sleek looking!! Jamie Donaldson, a member of our club, was just telling me about getting a handle from Doug - he loves it.

You will like the detail gouge, too! My go to for detailing.

Nate Davey
11-08-2010, 7:11 PM
Your recommendation was the reason I bought it.

Peter Hay in Aus
11-08-2010, 7:22 PM
Nate, Delightful offer from your wife mid morning. Like your choice of detail gouge have success. I have the last two words in our house Sorry Darling.

Peter.

Nate Davey
11-08-2010, 9:14 PM
Nate, Delightful offer from your wife mid morning. Like your choice of detail gouge have success. I have the last two words in our house Sorry Darling.

Peter.

"Sorry Darling" and "Yes Dear" are the two acceptable phrases for me, but she lets me buy tools, so it's a small price to pay.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2010, 9:46 PM
Congrats on the tool. You are going to love the detail gouge and handle. Doug sent me one to test when he first started using them. I love it.

Jon McElwain
11-09-2010, 1:37 AM
I'd like to hear what you think of the Thompson handle. I know we've all been waiting a long time for him to make one. How does it compare with some of the other manufacturers handles? Of course, I have to admit that I am liking simple shop made wood handles more and more...

Gregg Feldstone
11-09-2010, 2:11 AM
I have not heard of these gouges. What is different/special about them?

Jon Lanier
11-09-2010, 2:27 AM
I think I'm going to be looking at some spindle and detail gouges from him. If Christmas is good. If not, I'll just admire yours from a distance. :p

Congrats on the new tool!

Ken Hill
11-09-2010, 4:45 AM
Your recommendation was the reason I bought it.

Keeton will soon be sporting sponsor logos on his turning jacket and his lathe will be decaled out! :p:D

John Keeton
11-09-2010, 6:29 AM
I have not heard of these gouges. What is different/special about them?Gregg, the detail gouge (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=D)has a lot more metal under the flute - a more shallow flute, I guess is the better way of putting it.

I have mine swept back a little more than the original grind, and the tip is a little sharper. It makes it a little more critical, but permits much finer detailing. I also have two of the 1/4" detail gouges that I use for finial work.