PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Dayton 18" band saw?

Matt Meiser
11-08-2010, 5:20 PM
I'm thinking about looking at a Dayton 18" band saw I think I could get dirt cheap. It is missing the lower guide because something on that broke, the seller took it off to get parts, never got around to it, and misplaced it. The machine would definitely need some cleanup from the poor photos I've seen. But from the photos and from Grainger's site, like many machines, it probably was made along side other more commonly known 18" machines. I'm thinking if nothing else is missing or broken it could probably be turned into a good saw for a reasonable price--assuming I can get it cheap enough. I'm not afraid of the work. Anyone own one that could give some feedback?

Edit: Here's a link to the saw at Grainger: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Band-Saw-6Y942?Pid=search

Pete Bradley
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
It's a bottom of the line import machine with missing parts. And that's just the downsides you know about.

The worst kind of tool to own is poor enough quality to affect your work every time you use it, but not poor enough to blow up so you have no choice but to get a new one. This one has a high probability of being in that category.

Pete

Van Huskey
11-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Dirt cheap... I would get it. As you note chances are it rolled off a line along with other colored machines. Guides are no big deal and you can easily make it better than it was. It is a Taiwan product which often indicates better than China quality. The only thing is they are overpriced to begin with and if the seller is working off that it may be tougher to get a great price. Just keep in mind the Rikon 18" is on sale for $999 so thats what a solid new nothing needed saw is worth, I would be wanting to see under $200 even given everything works fine and smooth without the guide.

george wilson
11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Be careful about the missing parts thing. Very often import machines that look just alike have just enough difference in the parts that they cannot be made to work. I had that problem with a common looking Enco turret mill that looks just the same as a Grizzly. The leadscrews and their nuts are pretty different. I will have to make the parts. Importers are TERRIBLE about identifying their own models and parts,even the best makes. I could not get parts for a Sharp lathe,one of the best Taiwan lathes. They sent drawings for a completely different machine. I got rid of the lathe.

Mike Peschka
11-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's a link to the saw at Grainger: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Band-Saw-6Y942?Pid=search

If that really is the same model, you could always check the spare parts list for it: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/rp_search_by_product.jsp?exact=yes&modelSearchCriteria=6Y942&search.x=1&suppSearchCriteria=20008090&from=detail&mfgSearchCriteria=DAYTON. Could be worth giving Grainger a phone call to check on price & availability.

Matt Meiser
11-09-2010, 7:35 AM
The seller is asking $200 so I suspect I could get it for less. I've experienced the same as you George with a no-name 14" band saw I had. I probably wouldn't mess with replacement guides from Grainger but would would just go to Carter so now I'm at ~$400. Miscellaneous parts would easily get me to $500 and I'm at 1/2 the cost of the new Rikon. I think I'll listen to that nagging voice in the back of my head and stay away from it.