PDA

View Full Version : Closet Rod Support

Steve Friedman
11-08-2010, 5:11 PM
Hi all,

I have to hang a couple of close rods where only one end butts up against a wall. I want to avoid metal and coated plastic, so I need to be able to install something that will project from the rear wall of the closet to support the other end of the rod.

I though of a simple triangular shaped board perpendicular to the rear wall, but can't imagine how that can be attached in a way that will support the weight of a closet rod. Am I being thick?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve

Matt Kestenbaum
11-08-2010, 5:19 PM
Have you considered a hanger mounted from above the rod? Maybe a paddle like board with a hole in one end to feed the rod through and the other end dadoed into a batten...lag screw the batten into the framing (ceiling? Rafter?).

John Pratt
11-08-2010, 6:02 PM
Some may argue with this method, but we just put in 6 of what your talking about in a Habitat home. 1x2 with a little adhesive nailed into a stud or on the wall board with the brads alternating (up-down-up-down), 1x12 butt jointed with adhesive and nailed with brads. we added shelves to the opposite side of all these "hanger areas" to add support to the 1x12. not exactly the greatest building technique but we haven't had one come down yet. that or you could go whole hog and build an entire closet system.

John R Green
11-08-2010, 6:06 PM
Will this work?

Chris Tsutsui
11-08-2010, 6:34 PM
I like your idea of a triangle support, though one sheet probably wouldn't be enough, you should double up and add some width kind of like a torsion box construction. (See crude pic)

If it was one thick sheet, you could use pocket screws into stud, though if you make it like the picture below, you can mount the back piece flat against the wall, then mount the triangles to the back piece.

A closet rod support from a wall has to be pretty strong because the clothes add up to a lot of weight.

Steve Friedman
11-09-2010, 9:15 AM
I like your idea of a triangle support, though one sheet probably wouldn't be enough, you should double up and add some width kind of like a torsion box construction. (See crude pic)

If it was one thick sheet, you could use pocket screws into stud, though if you make it like the picture below, you can mount the back piece flat against the wall, then mount the triangles to the back piece.

A closet rod support from a wall has to be pretty strong because the clothes add up to a lot of weight.

Wow! I never thought of pocket screws. That's brilliant. I like the concept of a piece flat against the stud. I also like the idea of two triangles pocket-screwed into it. Then some trim pieces to complete the torsion box. That has to be strong enough!!

Steve

Steve Griffin
11-09-2010, 9:49 AM
OR, a 15" wide ply/face frame partition. This also provides support for a top shelf, or if double hanging is ever desired, two rods.

I can't think of why one wouldn't want a top shelf above a rod.

I've also done large corbel style braces to support rod and top shelf, but prefer the partition method.

-Steve