PDA

View Full Version : When to buy

Jay Jagerson
11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Told myself I'm going to get my lathe this year, still undecided between the Delta 46-460 and the big Grizz G0698 but as you all know there is so much more that needs to be bought. I'm leaning towards the Delta if that makes a difference.

I had bought a talon chuck a year ago and a few gouges that I found on craigs list.

With this time of year I'm thinking it may be the time to get the grinder, sharpener jig, and set of gouges. So I come to the experts to ask when where and what to buy for the grinder, gouges jig etc. I assume this would be the month to buy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jay

Dave Lehnert
11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Just FYI- JET has their sale going on right now on lathes.
http://www.3000hoursale.com/Products.aspx

Dennis Ford
11-08-2010, 1:04 PM
Your results will depend on you more than on your tools. Your enjoyment of the process may depend on decent quality tools.

A slow speed (1725rpm) 8" or a regular speed (3450rpm) 6" grinder will do fine with good quality wheels. The slow speed 8" grinder would be prefered. If you have a bowl gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool and a scraper; learn to use those before buying more tools. The Wolverine jig is very popular for sharpening bowl gouges. The parting tool and scrapers can easily be sharpened without a jig.

Jay Jagerson
11-08-2010, 2:37 PM
What grinder should I be looking for? At year ago it looked liked the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder was the ticket but I dont see that on there web page anymore.

What would be todays pick.

Just thinking Nov would be the best time to pick up a deal or two.

Jay Jagerson
11-08-2010, 2:40 PM
Never mind I found the grinder, for some reason it did no come up the bench grinder tab, did a search for it and there it was.

http://www.woodcraft.com/catalog/productpage2.aspx?prodid=29437

Just need to wait for it to go on sale!

Rob Holcomb
11-08-2010, 5:38 PM
There were two big reasons why I chose the Delta 46-460. 1st and foremost, because it had great reviews and a few people on this site had bought them and were raving about what they got. Secondly, I loved the idea of having reverse. Sanding is so much easier with reverse. Instead of the fibers laying down, I can remove them making a smooth finish faster. I hear good things about the Jet lathes too but I can't comment because I've never used one. As for the Grinder, I bought a Porter Cable variable speed grinder. I like it a lot. I bought a oneway set up to ease grinding my tools and bought a set of Benjamin's best bowl gouges to start with. I'm now going to upgrade and buy a couple of Thompson's gouges as I feel my experience has improved enough to buy really good turning tools. I hope this helps

Jay Jagerson
11-09-2010, 8:22 AM
I have decided on the Delta, just need to fiqure out where I want to pick it up at. I was looking online a little and I see a place called Tool King had a ok deal on them but I know nothing about them. I'm going to keep my eye open for a black friday deal at ACME tools, there is one right by my work. If they dont have a deal by then I thinking I may just mail order it.

I still have not looked at the gouges I bought last year but I think they where Tompson and Sorby stuff. But like I said I just have like 2-3 of them. I should take a picture and post them so you guys can tell me it they are worth using or not.

Jay Jagerson
11-09-2010, 8:43 AM
Can I assume the Porter Cable variable speed grinder is the same as the Delta version?

Rob Holcomb
11-09-2010, 9:40 AM
I don't know if the Porter Cable Grinder is the same as the Delta. I bought it at Lowes. Nice machine!

Charlie Stone
11-09-2010, 2:52 PM
Jay,
Before you get yourself lathered up in a buying frenzy, think about what exactly you want to do. You want to spin a piece of wood around in circles, and use a bladed tool to remove wood.

I was debating some of the exact same models you are a few more a few months ago. Also, all the support tools involved. What made me decide on what I was going to buy was when I saw a video of some guy in Morocco (I think the title said?) using a bow to spin the wood and a chisel guided by his foot to make the king for a chess set.

I went out a few days later and got the HF model and their starter set of tools, and with the leftover money, I got their 2hp dust collector. I use sandpaper to sharpen my tools. To pratice my beads and coves, I started making a chess set.

A few weeks ago, I went to a woodworking expo planning on get a new roughing gouge and a new skew chisel, as it must be my crappy tools I'm using standing in the way of better turning.

A local turning group was doing a demo. They had 4 Jet lathes lined up of various sizes and people turning and chatting away. All 4 of those lathes running together were quieter than my HF lathe. That bothered me. Everyone there had beautiful tools, no doubt over $100 per tool.

After a few minutes of ogling the tools and welling up with envy, I looked at what people were working on. The last lathe on the end, the person was making the piece for a chess set. I thought about that for a minute and looked back at everyone as they were turning. I noticed the beautiful streams of wood curls coming down off the wood, really just falling off in front of the various turning tools. What did they have that I didn't?
1) Really good lathes
2) Really good tools
I thought back to the video of the guy in Morocco.
What did that guy in Morocco have, that THESE people had, that I didn't?
1) Really SHARP tools
2) Experience

I left without buying anything. I went home, and spent the rest of that day sharpening my tools on my sandpaper and polished them to 2000 grit. I had previously thought that they didn't need to be as sharp as a plane blades, I was wrong. I spent the next 2 days practicing turning square stock in to round stock (lots of 2x4 & 4x4 scraps) and smoothing it then on each piece cutting nothing but beads and coves.

I am pretty damn happy with the toys I am making for my kids now and some of it is actually impressive enough to give away as gifts. One day I might go back and finish the chess set, but, I figure that enough other people are making those.

I am damn happy with my cheap tools + dust collector, I am thrilled that I decided to buy what I did rather than building a treadle or spring pole lathe or dumping the money on a name and quieter motor, after all, when my DC is running, I cant hear the lathe over it anyway.

No doubt I will get myself some better gouges at some point just so I don't have to touch up the edges as often, but its not a burning need for me anymore, and they certainly are not to blame for my early failures to create masterpieces.

Jay Jagerson
11-09-2010, 3:27 PM
Charlie, thanks for the great post, I can tell you and I think along the same lines in many respects.

I have thought of the many items I do want to try to make, and because of that reason I have decided on just getting a small lathe. I have be checking out CL very offten and seeing what I can come up with. I have been able to come up with some good deals on a chuck and few gouges, and that was a year ago.

I here what you are saying though, its more of a issue of time spent learning on how to do it rather than then the tools used, I agree completly. Although after having a wood shop for the past 15 years or so it sure can make life a little more fun with a better set of tools! I have bought and sold just about the right amount of tools to make me spend a year on deciding on what I really want to do with my lathe:)

I think really the only thing I need to find at this point is a lathe and a grinder. I could sharpen by hand I suppose but for me that would be a step back I think, at this point I sharpen all my drills on a old 6" grinder by hand, heck I have even thought of just trying that for my gouges. From what I read here at the Creek I'm thinking best to learn from the others in that department and just go for the grinder straight away.

Thanks for the response

Jay

Charlie Stone
11-09-2010, 3:34 PM
For a grinder, as I watch videos on youtube and other places, I have seen the delta GR050 sitting on a lot of shelves in the background.

Jay Jagerson
11-09-2010, 3:47 PM
I can say I have never seen one of those before!

Greg Ketell
11-09-2010, 5:35 PM
The Rikon 1216 variable speed lathe is going on sale at woodcraft for $279 on black friday. A really good deal on a good lathe. And some local stores are accepting orders at that price now.

The Nova G3 chuck bundle with 4 sets of jaws is on sale at WC right now for $150, 50% off normal price.

PSI has a decent set of HSS tools for about $80.

Seems to me like now is a really good time to be getting into things if you are planning on starting small.

GK

Jay Jagerson
11-10-2010, 9:11 AM
How would the Rikon 1216 compare to the Delta Midi? As far as size I think either would work just fine for me.

From what I can tell the Delta has a 1hp motor and reverse and the Rikon has a 1/2hp motor and no reverse.

So I guess is $200 more to have reverse and a bigger motor worth it?

I dont have a issue spending the extra $200 if it makes sense, from what I read here many people seem to like reverse for sanding.

Thoughts

Greg Ketell
11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
The reverse is no big deal. You can add one to the rikon very easily. But I wasn't aware that Delta had a 1HP. The extra torque will make a difference if you get to bowls/platters that are pushing the size limit of the lathe.

Now, whether that is worth $200 depends on your wallet and what you plan to do with the lathe. For pens, Christmas ornaments, spindles, probably not. For large bowls, large vases, large platters... maybe.

IMHO

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
The extra torque will make a difference if you want to turn bowls and hollow forms. As for reverse it does make a difference when sanding. I would not buy a lathe without it now that I have had it and used it when sanding. I sand every other grit in reverse and has made a hugh difference in my pieces.

Jay Jagerson
11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
sounds like the the Delta is still the ticket. I will look around for a deal on Black Friday.

The best deal so far is from Tool King, I have no idea if they are any good or not.

Also sent a email to ToolNut but have had no response as of yet.

Thanks

Jay

Philip Rodriquez
11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I have decided on the Delta, just need to fiqure out where I want to pick it up at. I was looking online a little and I see a place called Tool King had a ok deal on them but I know nothing about them.

Tool King is a nice source. They are a local dealer (for me), and I purchased my ICS Saw Stop though them.

Tool Zone is another great place that many here have purchased through. I have purchased a lot of tools through them and they have always been awesome. I actually just purchased a new Jet 1642 (2 HP) lathe from Tool Zone. They cut me an awesome deal!

Roger Chandler
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Jay,

If you truly believe that your interest will stay in small things like pens, then a mini will do just fine. I can tell you that if you are like most turners, you will find why we all want to upgrade within a few months.....

Personally, I am a big lathe person because of the fact it will handle most anything I want to do.........a small lathe will suffice for small turnings, but even there it is helpful to get all the lathe you can for the amount you can afford to part with......thus the Delta 46-460 is a tried and well featured lathe at a middle of the road cost. Around $500.00 on sale.

Most of us turners have learned the hard way [think spending more $$$ than we were counting on] to upgrade.

My first lathe was a VS" craftsman [15" swing]that broke on me........I went to an 18X47" and if I would have had the money, I would have gotten the American Beauty by Robust or a Oneway 24/36, but that was not in the budget at all without using some credit, which I was not willing to do.

I am glad I got the big lathe [Grizzly G0698], and it has been great so far, and I would do it all over again..........I am very satisfied.

Jay Jagerson
11-10-2010, 3:01 PM
You may be right, I may want a bigger lathe in 6 months, who knows. But if I spend $500 for the delta and decide that I just have to ugrade for some reason I think I could sell the Delta for $250 and that would be a reasonable amount for a learning experence. Now if I spend $1400 for a bigger lathe and decide I dont really care for all things spinny its a bigger loss.

Would not be the first thing that I thought I would enjoy and in 6 months it just sits there not being used.

I guess its all a gamble

Thanks all for the input.

Jay

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
You could definitely sell the Delta for more than $250 for sure. Probably get your most of your money back easily. But if you are like me and fell in love with turning I kept my midi lathe and bought a Nova DVR XP. I use the midi for small projects.

Jay Jagerson
11-11-2010, 1:00 PM
You could definitely sell the Delta for more than $250 for sure. Probably get your most of your money back easily. But if you are like me and fell in love with turning I kept my midi lathe and bought a Nova DVR XP. I use the midi for small projects.

I really hope this to be the case, the falling in love with part that is.

Charlie Stone
11-15-2010, 9:56 PM
Jay,
Did you ever make up your mind on a grinder?

Also, when you pick out your lathe, 1 thing I don't remember seeing mentioned, that is really handy (coming from someone who does NOT have one) would be a 4 jaw chuck. Not having one, I can say, plan on getting one. That has moved up to the top of my tool wish list, which is sad in a way, because for me, turning is just something for fun right now, while I have way more urgent home repair projects to work on.

Jay Jagerson
11-16-2010, 8:18 AM
Jay,
Did you ever make up your mind on a grinder?

Also, when you pick out your lathe, 1 thing I don't remember seeing mentioned, that is really handy (coming from someone who does NOT have one) would be a 4 jaw chuck. Not having one, I can say, plan on getting one. That has moved up to the top of my tool wish list, which is sad in a way, because for me, turning is just something for fun right now, while I have way more urgent home repair projects to work on.

Thinking I will get the Woodcraft one, I see thay have free shipping so I'm just wating for the price to drop.

As far as chucks, I have one already, picked up a Talon chuck from Craigs List a year ago.

Greg Ketell
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
so I'm just wating for the price to drop.

My friend went in to his local WC and said "I want to buy the black friday lathe at the black friday price but I want to buy it today". They matched the price and he left a happy camper. No waiting, no crowds, no potentially running out of the lathe before you get there.

Just a thought...

Jay Jagerson
11-16-2010, 1:35 PM
to be honest I'm not sure the grinder is on the BF sale.