PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2010, 9:21 AM
8 Nov 2010
Good Morning Everyone,

A bit chilly out today and started a fire in the wood stove since we heat with wood only. Really love that heat.

The LOML Jr and I are working on plans for her hope chest since she has changed her mind at least a dozen times about what she really wants in a hope chest. I hope we can finalize what she really wants sometime this week.

Most of my work has been at the day job and that include this past weekend. Seems like all we are doing is more work with less people. It really pushes the rest of us really hard and we are still loosing good people. The unfortunate part of this? We are loosing the "good" people that work and are excellent engineers and the ones that are staying are the ones that don't really work very well, cruise the internet most all day, and work to get out of work. 'nuff said on this issue.

Back to work stuff today and the rest of this week.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Shawn Pixley
11-08-2010, 9:35 AM
I am recovering from a black widow bite so I was a bit slow this weekend. Installed the nosing strips on the floor repair work. Then sanded to 150 grit before my hands got too tingly.

Made progress on a jewelry box for my niece when she graduates college.

Jim Becker
11-08-2010, 9:35 AM
So you're hoping that the hope chest design will hopefully be put to a hopeful end soon?? :D :D :D

Aside from the usual Saturday riding lesson, I delivered my most recent tack trunk commission (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151803) and got the color coat on the walls of the "study room" in the 250 year old portion of the house. A little more touch up and a final coat on the trim and I can move on to the hard part...laying in the new wide pine flooring.

I'm not sure what the next woodworking project will be yet...there are so many on the list. But I'm actually thinking I really need to deal with the need for hand tool storage; something I've neglected to-date. My collection is continually growing and it's just not efficient having things scattered all over.

I also need to think about moving the lumber storage upstairs to free up some more shop space for project work as well as make an adjustment to the configuration/placement of my sliding table saw so that when I use the large outrigger, I'm less constrained with my own personal physical movement. I'm using that setup more due to the tack trunk projects and I'm less happy about bending and crawling, if you know what I mean.

So I suspect the next project(s) will be shop-focused a little, outside of some minor things for the house.

Gene Howe
11-08-2010, 9:39 AM
My project is pretty mundane. I'm building a bench to hold a SCMS AND a bench top DP.
Got the base built, routed for the upright dividers and installed the two end pieces.
It's one of those projects where I'm working from pencil sketches and measuring and cutting as I go. So far, so good.:D

Ben Hatcher
11-08-2010, 9:45 AM
Lots of shop time this weekend. I got a bunch of half finished items knocked out. I finished installing my new rip fence on the table saw, reinstalled the outfeed table, and built an enclosure to seal up the back side of my contractor style saw in an attempt to improve the duct collection. I got my new drum sander tuned up. Only ruined 240" of sand paper before I decided to read the instructions on how long to make the wrap. Finally, I did some general clean up. I've got a few large built-ins to build next week and needed to clear the clutter to make room for them.

Jeremy Greiner
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Still waiting on my table saw to be delivered. I spent some time cleaning and working with a scroll saw that was gifted to me. I also spent a good deal of time figuring out what tool I want to get next.

-jeremy

Matt Meiser
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Saturday I left early in the morning to meet guys from my club for breakfast, then headed over to one member's house to build 10 mobile bases. We finished up early afternoon then I accompanied my wife and daughter on a trip to the mall. Sunday consisted of watching episodes of Rough Cut, TOH, and ATOH that were waiting on the DVR, some yard work and I got the DC drop mostly installed for my Shark Guard. Lee says on his site the 4" port option is probably too big and I'm pretty much in agreement but its easily modulated by the blast gate. I also got the paint on my mobile base before heading to my parents' for dinner.

Jim O'Dell
11-08-2010, 8:48 PM
My Saturday to work at the real job. 6 1/2 hours now instead of the 4 1/2 it used to be. :( Was too tired when I got home to do much more than veg in front of the TV and watch football. Sunday brought some yard work and I put the final coat of paint on the ceiling in the finishing room while the LOML took a nap. And I hate the time change, even though I got an extra hour sleep. Jim.

Larry Anderson
11-08-2010, 8:59 PM
I finished this Greene&Greene style mahogany clock from Wood magazine.

glenn bradley
11-08-2010, 9:29 PM
I finally got a shed up in my backyard. Now I can move all that stuff I keep reaching over and around (breaking all my own rules) out of my shop. Hooray.

Jim Rimmer
11-09-2010, 9:56 AM
Larry:

Great looking clock. Tell me about the insert in the lower part.

David Hostetler
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
My weekend had very little to do with woodworking, and everything to do with family. LOML has the flu, so I was taking care of her, and I have one of my brothers in law, that needs pretty much 24/7 care, or at least monitoring due to diabetes and failed kidneys, got a call at 3:00 in the morning on Saturday / Sunday morning to go into the hospital, as the believed they had a kidney / pancreas for him. No such luck... Bad for him, good for the potential donor, I think...

So mostly spent the time doing house work, taking care of a sick wife, and trying (and failing to catch up on sleep).

I think I might have had 8 hours of sleep since Saturday. I feel awful today...

What little shop time I did get n this weekend was continuing the shop cleanup and reorganization. I am getting very antsy to get my shop done, and projects started.

Larry Anderson
11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Jim,

The insert is hammered copper. It came in the project kit from Schlabaugh & Sons. Clock plans are from the Nov 2010 issue of Wood mag.

Larry Feltner
11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
It took more than a weekend but I finished this Greene & Greene style side table this weekend for a charity fundraiser at my church. It is African Mahogany and Ebony. It was probably the most complicated thing I have tried to build. I made some mistakes but on the whole I liked how it turned out for my first attempt.

I also made an oak quilt rack and a couple of Christmas Reindeer.

They all sold so I was happy.

Marty Paulus
11-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Well I winterized the shed and the garage/shop. In my house that means cleaning out the shed and attempting to get the patio furniture in. It also means that the snow blower comes out and goes into the garage. I may have to dig out the lawn mower for one more run to clean up the mess in the yard after cutting down all the plants. Sort of made a bigger mess then I planed. Mower will make short work of the clean up, just hate to dig it back out after winterizing it. Also got some more clean up time in the garage. I am hoping to get a few projects done this year...

michael turner
11-09-2010, 1:09 PM
My weekend had very little to do with woodworking, and everything to do with family. LOML has the flu, so I was taking care of her, and I have one of my brothers in law, that needs pretty much 24/7 care, or at least monitoring due to diabetes and failed kidneys, got a call at 3:00 in the morning on Saturday / Sunday morning to go into the hospital, as the believed they had a kidney / pancreas for him. No such luck... Bad for him, good for the potential donor, I think...

So mostly spent the time doing house work, taking care of a sick wife, and trying (and failing to catch up on sleep).

I think I might have had 8 hours of sleep since Saturday. I feel awful today...

What little shop time I did get n this weekend was continuing the shop cleanup and reorganization. I am getting very antsy to get my shop done, and projects started.

David, the payback for the job you do cannot be measured in any kind of measuring system the world may choose.

I have spent the last 2.5 yrs as my wife's primary care giver, and though at times it has been tough, I would not trade this time away to anyone else for any price. Keep it up and God bless you.

Mike