PDA

View Full Version : Nova lathe

Syd Lorandeau
11-08-2010, 9:11 AM
Hi All,
I have a chance to purchase a used Nova lathe (Nova DVR 3000) but in discussing the deal the owner brought to light he was not happy with the banjo as it kept loosing up on him. To the point where he broke the handle trying to tighten it more My question is, "Has anyone else had this problem??
Thanks, Syd

Alan Trout
11-08-2010, 9:45 AM
No I have never had that problem. I would make sure the base is flat. That could be the issue. If that is the case it can be corrected fairly easy by either lapping that surface or by re-machining it.

Good Luck

Alan

Bill Bolen
11-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I too turn on a DVR and have never had that problem. I think Alan may well have your fix though...Bill..

Matt Owen
11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a DVR XP (same banjo) and I've never had that problem.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Syd he isn't the only one to have problems with the banjo on the DVR, I know Bob Hamilton did purchase a Oneway banjo for his DVR because of the problem with the Banjo.

You can have a look at his turning shown on You tube to see the banjo he uses.

Here's a link to one

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110522&highlight=Hamilton+turning

Michael Mills
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I have the 1624 but I believe the banjo is the same. I took a look at mine and there is a bolt head at the rear of the banjo. With the banjo loose I turned the bolt (by fingers) about 1/8 turn and it would not lock. When I returned it to it right position there is no problem with it locking securely.
The only time I had a problem with mine not locking was when I got the wise idea :rolleyes: to use Dry Lube on the ways. It was just too slick, when I cleaned the graphite off and just used wax it worked just fine again.

Maria Alvarado
11-08-2010, 1:18 PM
I too have the 1624 and do occasionally have loosening of the banjo, but all I have to do is tighten up the plate underneath (the tommy bar for the chuck fits that screw) and it's fine again.
Hope that helps

Jacob Hooysma
11-08-2010, 1:55 PM
To the point where he broke the handle trying to tighten it more My question is, "Has anyone else had this problem??
Thanks, Syd

I have nova DVR 3000, never had a problem a problem with the banjo.
But tighten it that it breaks does a suggest that something is not flat or has some wear on it.
That a screw goes loose shouldn't be problem as it easy to tighten but to break something you needs considerate force ?

Jacob