PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Beech Bowl from Contest - Comments?

David Gilbert
11-08-2010, 8:23 AM
Here is my entry in the fall turning contest. It's a spalted beech bowl that was turned green to final size and wall thickness of ¼ inch. The bowl was microwave dried and is now noticeably oval (9 ½ x 10 ⅛) and about 2 ¾ inches tall. The bowl was finished with four coats of Minwax Antique Oil to give a satin finish. I really like this bowl’s rustic character and its irregular rim which can be seen in the last couple of photos.

I'm looking forward to your critiques.

Cheers,
David

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 8:32 AM
David, this is just such a neat piece of wood for a green turned bowl! Very organic looking, and the warp just adds to the character.

I really have done so few bowls, my comments won't mean much. And, one gets into the foot/unfooted situation. David K. is not a foot guy (even though he probably repairs a few human feet!!:D;)), but I like a foot on a bowl for lift. For me, a bowl without a foot requires a much smaller base, and the curve needs to start clean at the recess, or base. Otherwise, from the normal viewing angle of standing up looking down on a bowl sitting on a table, it looks squatty.

IMO, there is a little of this going on with this bowl. But, again, this is so personal to each viewer that it is just my opinion.

You did a great job turning this piece - nice thin walls, excellent wood choice, and the curvature is very nice, as well.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-08-2010, 8:40 AM
David, I really like the wood and finish you used. I would agree with John on the matter of the foot. It can also ad a bit of stability especially if the bowl develops warp as this one did. I turn quite a few bowls and very rarely do any without a foot. Good Job!:)

Dennis Ford
11-08-2010, 1:15 PM
Great bowl.
While it looks good without a foot I agree that a foot would have worked with this bowl. I don't think that all bowls need a foot (or feet) but it is possible to adjust the foot to allow a warped bowl to sit without rocking.

Doug Reesor
11-08-2010, 7:13 PM
David,

For me, the foot or shape is less important than the presentation. I am not sure if the lighting of the picture does your bowl justice. I thought the finish did not highlight the wonderful grain and spalted structure that is as much of a highlight as the turning shape. Have you considered using a clear gloss finish on you bowls? Even though not everyone likes it, I find it really brings out the beauty of the wood, particularly in pictures.

Keep up the good work.

Doug

Curt Fuller
11-08-2010, 7:36 PM
I really like this bowl, especially the way it warped without cracking. I'm sure not everyone would like the idea of the warped shape but it's something that has really grown on me. It's some nice looking wood too.

Ray Bell
11-08-2010, 8:42 PM
I think this is a very nice bowl. Great wood, and a lot of character.

Don Alexander
11-08-2010, 9:43 PM
i like this bowl alot as it is but i agree with John about the foot , a little lift would help show off the wood on the curve of the bowl better
as would a glossier finish

Baxter Smith
11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
A slightly smaller base would have made it look a little lighter. The shape and look of AO on a bowl like this makes me want to pick it up and hold it in my hands. Much more so than a glossy "perfect bowl".

David E Keller
11-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I like the form and the finish. The soft sheen and warped shape really add to the feel of the piece for me. As JK mentioned, I generally prefer forms without feet, but I can see the argument for a little lift... I find that photos can misrepresent the appearance of the bottom of a piece if the background surface is soft... The bowl can kind of sink into the background and hide some of the lift inherent in the form.