PDA

View Full Version : Griz 24" drum sander

Jim Andrew
11-08-2010, 8:18 AM
The new Griz sale catalog has the G1066R double drum sander for 1350 plus 89 shipping.It is 24" wide. Then they have the Z model for 1795 plus 89, it weighs about 50 pounds more, and says the feed belt is industrial rubber. Can anyone compare these? How hard is it to change the paper? I was looking at the Woodmaster 26", but it is a single drum sander for 2100. I have a set of cabinets to build for my nephew soon, and tired of the tracks I put in the panels with my hand held belt sander. No matter how flat I hold it I get marks that show up when I put on finish. Even after sanding with my ros.

Sean Troy
11-08-2010, 8:27 AM
I have the 1066 and paper change is pretty easy. It does make it a bit easier with two people but not needed. Don't know about the belt difference though.

Mikail Khan
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I was looking at the 1066z myself.

The capacity is 23.5"

The grizzly manual describes both the 1066R and 1066Z as having the conveyor type belt.

Link (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/155)

Amazon has a Shop fox 26" for $2079 with free shipping.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1678-26-Inch-Drum-Sander/dp/B001R23SRC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1289238095&sr=8-5)

MK

Justin Bukoski
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I used to own a 1066R. It worked great. Changing the paper was probably on par with changing a bandsaw blade as far as time goes - not hard at all.

Jim Andrew
11-08-2010, 7:43 PM
Is the 1066Z worth 445$ more than the 1066R? Main difference I see is the variable speed feed motor. The hook and loop kit is 27.95 so that is no big deal. Anyone have the R model?

Chip Lindley
11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I used a G1066R for about four years. It performed fine with the thinner rubber conveyor belt while sanding door panels. The belt has adequate grab. The Z's industrial rough-top belt is better but, if the normal belt works ok? Why bother??

Two other important differences between the machines is the Z's variable speed conveyor and an adjustable rear drum. This allows the drum to be adjusted a few thousandths when loaded with finer grit paper. Grizzly has "emulated" Woodmaster sanders in these respects. Neither "R" or "Z" has decent dust collection. Most dust falls off the edge of the outfeed.

Either machine can be fitted with the Velcro drum covering for using felt-backed sanding rolls. Much better than the stock clips (which are easily lost) that tension sandpaper with a spring-loaded wheel.

I've seen used 1066Rs as low as $500 on CL in the Midwest. A very gently-used "Z" went for $1000 close to me last winter. I would be hard pressed to spend on a new one unless I was sure it would earn it's keep in a short time. Any drum sander is better than none when panels need to be finished. But, I had rather have a used Woodmaster than a new Grizzly any day! But that's just Me!

John Coloccia
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Do you find that the velcro backed strips are less accurate? My sander is good to about .002" across the width (22"). I use mine to thickness very thin stock as well so maybe it's more important to me that it be accurate and if it's just for general sanding it just really doesn't matter? I would think that you'd get variation with the velcro. Maybe someone who's used it can chime in with their experience?

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I own the 1066Z with velcro. I have no problems with variation at all. It is more accurate than my perfomax was. Paper change is easy but I still tape the ends of the paper on the drums with straping tape. I like the variable speed conveyor but did not think that was a Z feature. I gave $900 for my Z used here in IL. Doubt I would pay $1800 for it for sure. I would definately look for one used.

I sold a 22-44ST after getting it. It is a beast compared to my old 22-44ST.

The feed belt on the 1066Z is as as good as a cheap widebelt's feed belt ($8k timesaver speedsaver quality belt).

That being said a widebelt is MUCH nicer and a big woodmaster is a dream too (Rich what size is yours again? 52"?). Those make my Griz look elcheapo.

Chip Lindley
11-09-2010, 1:27 AM
John, the G1066R I owned had felt-covered drums and used conventional paper held on by spring tension. My Woodmaster 3820 double-drum has velcro-covered drums with felt-backed paper. I never had a problem with accuracy from either machine.

I would think either felt or Velcro might tend to even out any runout in the drum. Sanding with a "hard" drum might leave ripples in the stock if it suffers any runout at all.