PDA

View Full Version : future lathe purchase

Robert Culver
11-08-2010, 7:32 AM
Hello I hae been wanting a lthe for a couple of years now and plan to put that to an end around the first of the year. I have researched a little but am in need of more infromation. I have limited(very) space right now so im stuck with someting small I have looked at the jets, delta and penn turncrafter. I wondering what is the benifit of indexing? im not sure what this term means. and am a little confused in the chuck department I have been told th oneway tallon is a good one to get. I really could use some help with all the accsesorys as there are so many and im confused as to what they do. Can anybody point me to a good book? being that it will be a midi lathe i reallize I will be limited somewhat to what I can turn. Are the bigger minis capable of tuning hollow forms or do they lack the power. What size bowl could I expect to be able to turn. I mainly just want to turn small thing pens bowls handles ect. any advice is always helpful.

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 8:03 AM
Rob, I use a Delta Midi 46-460, and the only limitations I find with it are the swing - 12.5" and the mass. For what I do, it is perfect. I can finish turn a bowl at 12" if I do a good job of bandsawing it round. However, if I were to chuck up a very irregular piece of log, my lathe simply would not have the mass to keep it from walking all over my shop. I have not tried that, nor do I foresee that need right now.

I also have the bed extension, so I can easily do table legs, etc.

On chucks, everyone has their favorite - I have three (can't have too many!:D) Nova G3 chucks. I got them on sale, and I am very pleased with them. The grizzly $99 chuck gets good reviews, as does the Talon and others. The important consideration is to stick with one brand so the jaws interchange as you will want different size jaws ultimately to broaden the type of turnings you do.

My lathe has indexing, but I have not used it yet. There are many different techniques where one might use indexing to layout various embellishments on a piece. Since is permits one to lay out equally spaced markings around a turning - the sky is the limit. It is also used for doing router work on a jig set on the lathe for flutes, etc.

For instruction, DVDs are probably best, and Grumbine's get rave reviews, as do many of the others. For books, there are several. I have Raffan's on "The Art of Turned Bowls" and it is a very good study in form.

The tools, accessories and add ons will easily exceed the cost of the lathe, BTW!!

Email me if you have specific questions! I would love to see you get started with this as I think you would love it!

Gary Max
11-08-2010, 8:20 AM
I just picked this up from Tool-Nut------takes up very little space.
delta 46-460

Dahl Troy Perry
11-08-2010, 8:43 AM
I just got my 46-460 this last week and love it turned all weekend the more I use it the more I like it.

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 9:20 AM
Dahl, great lathe, but they are so much easier to use mounted on the floor instead of the wall!!:D:D:D

Baxter Smith
11-08-2010, 9:29 AM
Dahl, great lathe, but they are so much easier to use mounted on the floor instead of the wall!!:D:D:D
Thanks John, you just made me :D:D:D.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2010, 9:34 AM
Tough man..that John Keeton!:rolleyes:

Robert the indexing comes in handy for some functional work too. I just finished a turned spindle table for my wife. I made a jig that bolted to my lathe. With the center spindle on the lathe, using the index feature, I used the aforementioned jig and a router to route dovetails every 120º for the 3 legs.

Robert Culver
11-08-2010, 9:59 AM
the delta that is shown and the jet 1220 are the top of the heap for what I would like to get is the sanding freature on the delta used often by those that have it that seems to me to be one of the selling points. plus if I remeber right it has a larger moter to what are your takes on the comparison on these to. Thanks John Im sure I will be shotting you a few emails before I jump.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I have the Jet 1220 but if the Delta would have been out when I bought the Jet it would have been in the shop instead. It has more power, 1 hp, it has reverse which is great for sanding and turns 12 1/2" piece. Yes I do use reverse when sanding as do a lot of others. Also the power does make a difference. I am thinking of selling the Jet to get the Delta just for reverse.

Greg Ketell
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Right NOW Woodcraft has the Nova G3 lathe set with 4 sets of jaws on sale for $150, 50% off normal price.

On black friday they will have the Rikon 1216 electronic variable speed lathe on sale for $279. BUT, my friend just walked in to his local WC and they let him order it on the spot for the black-friday pricing, delivery tomorrow.

You can't beat those prices. Both great quality tools at awesome pricing.

Jon McCoy
11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I am thinking of selling the Jet to get the Delta just for reverse.
You could just add a reverse switch to the 1220, not that difficult and very very handy.

-jon-

Dahl Troy Perry
11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
John when you run out of floor space to put tools you don't stop buying tools you mount them to the walls.Remember the one that dies with the most tools wins.

Mike Peace
11-08-2010, 4:22 PM
I mainly just want to turn small thing pens bowls handles ect.

I think I have heard that before! Usually about 6-12 months before they start talking about wanting to get a bigger lathe. This vortex is powerful enough to pull you in with a lot of cast iron and HSS right after you!

Robert Vroman
11-18-2012, 1:30 PM
On black friday they will have the Rikon 1216 electronic variable speed lathe on sale for $279. BUT, my friend just walked in to his local WC and they let him order it on the spot for the black-friday pricing, delivery tomorrow.

Wow, lucky! I just called my local WC and they said that they could not offer that pricing now. Normally they can accept pre-orders on upcoming sales, but not for black Friday.

So, for anyone in the Denver area, if you are thinking of this lathe, I hate to tell you this, WC will be closed on Friday the 23rd, they will re-open After I purchase it! :D (Unfortunately they have no idea how many they will have in stock)