PDA

View Full Version : Acme 5000 Scrubsalot (or not)

Robert Walters
11-08-2010, 3:12 AM
Over the last 6 weeks or so I've been designing and building an air scrubber for my laser. Since I have the HF Red dust collector, I wanted to incorporate it INTO the scrubber enclosure itself to reduce noise level and free up some floor space.

Here's the general idea (I haven't taken photos of the real thing yet):

http://i51.tinypic.com/281g6eh.jpg

It basically fits under the laser on the legs. So, if I move the laser, everything goes with it, including the dust collector that is mounted inside the air scrubber enclosure.

Well, I finally got to the stage today to test it all out FINALLY!!!

I was seriously disappointed when I hit the switch.

I have no pressure - it seems that even though I accounted for the restricted airflow through the carbon it wasn't enough. That's ok, I can resolve that fairly easily, but...

Even though I anticipated and planed for vibration and mounted the dust collector on rubber mounts, as well as mounted the box on dampening pads, there is a serious vibration from the DC that is (get this) resonating so the entire enclosure is acting like a waveguide *sigh*.

So, while I reduced the noise level dramatically coming from the DC itself, the slightly unbalanced blades is this thing is causing a lot of grief.

I'll have to check my receipt and see if I can return it.

If I can, I'm considering the Penn State DC that everyone says is quiet.
www DOT pennstateind DOT com/store/DC3XX.html

Is it possible for someone that has one of these Penn State DC's to take a few photos (on all sides) and some measurements of the primary part of the DC (housing, motor) so I can see if it'll fit in the air scrubber I built?

Just pretend that you have unbolted it from it's frame and give the maximum dimensions on three sides would be great! Also, if you could measure the exhaust port and see if it's truly 4" (the HF Red DC is actually 3.5" I found out the hard way).

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
11-08-2010, 5:55 AM
You do not want the DC on the same platform as the laser. Any amount of extra vibration is going to make your fine line work looks like , you're going to vibrate screws/lenses loose, etc. Bad idea all around.

Robert Walters
11-08-2010, 9:30 AM
I'm aware of that.

The vibration was BARELY noticeable when the HF Red DC was on it's own, and why I used rubber standoffs to mount it (aka "shock absorbers").

I'm hoping the Penn State DC is better quality, I just need dimensions on the Penn State DC motor and housing (less frame) before ordering.

I've put so much time and effort into this, I don't want to abandon it so hastily.

Chuck Stone
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I have the red HF blower and built a box to cut down about 75% of
the noise, but the box is separated from the laser. I thought about
what you're doing, because it's wasted space and it just seemed
like a good idea on paper. But the vibrations would interfere with
the motion of the head.
I ended up just building a simple box and insulated with sheet foam
and vented outside. Built a window frame with handles and a gate,
so in the summer I can leave it in the window. In the winter, I can
easily remove it or install it in seconds.

Last weekend, the brushes went on the blower, and HF doesn't
carry the brushes. :(

Doug Griffith
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
My little red blower is almost silent inside of it's enclosure but the resonance makes the wall it's attached to kind of hum. It used to bother me but now I consider it a failure notification. If I've stepped away from the laser and the hum stops, I run instead of walk. I also mounted the air compressor in the same enclosure and Can't hear it either. For that, I listen for the hiss coming from the air nozzle. I'm guessing we all get very aware of the sound idiosyncrasies our laser systems make.

In the end, I think you'll want to vent outside anyways.

Last weekend, the brushes went on the blower, and HF doesn't
carry the brushes. :(
Chuck, for brushes, check out my previous post. The blower's been running strong since the change.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133343

Chuck Stone
11-08-2010, 1:39 PM
Chuck, for brushes, check out my previous post. The blower's been running strong since the change.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133343

Aw, cool! ok, you're back in my will :p

I'm off to order them now!!

Robert Walters
11-11-2010, 1:16 AM
I was able to return the HF Red DC, and the Penn State Ind DC3XX is on it's way. Wish me luck!!!

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-11-2010, 1:47 AM
I have to second the dont put the DC on the same platform as the laser. The laser is a presision device and I can assure you that you may not feel vibration on the DC but its there.