PDA

View Full Version : Sisso-Pistachio-Euc-Mesq forms critiques welcome

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Finished in the shop early tonight so I had time to take some pics of some of the pieces I've finished in the last week. :D
(may take a couple posts to get all the pics in)
1st is from the sissoo I got last weekend. 8 1/2" x 4" x 3/16 (left the sides thick for a utility bowl) still working on the finish 2 coats of tung oil so far.
2nd is from the pistachio I got a week ago. 5 x1 3/4 x 1/8. finished with wipe on poly and will buff when it's cured. This is not a normal shape for me, but I wanted to try something different.
3rd is from the euc I got this weekend. The bell is 3 1/2" x 3 with the lip at 1/16 and the handle (walnut) is 5 1/4" just had a first coat of wipe on poly. I know the handle is kinda boring (teach me to have a plan before I start turning it) it could have been a little thinner and the bulb smaller but being that it is a handle I wanted it sturdy enough to handle.
4th is the euc bowl from the other thread I posted. It's got 2 coats of wipe on poly so far. As you can see it's movinggggg. 5 1/2 or 6 (depending on where you measure lol) x 2 x 1/8 at least its not cracking and I still love the wood!
5th is a mesquite bowl with some turqoise inlay 7 x 2 1/2 x3/16. Not my normal shape but the wood dictated that I stray from my norm or I would end up with a really really short bowl or a giant 3-4' void in the side. Finished in wipe on poly and will buff when cured.
6th another mesquite bowl 9 x 3 x 5/16 another utility bowl. I just love the grain on this one. Finished with danish oil, I wanted more of a satin finish with this one.
7th is a pen i did out of the euc. Can't see the color well in the pick but it's nice! This euc really sands and finished nice!

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome!

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2010, 12:13 AM
the rest of the pics.

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2010, 12:14 AM
and last but not least.

Roger Chandler
11-08-2010, 6:50 AM
You have some nice turnings there Kathy..........good form on the bowls. I like the look of the pistachio and the euc. and the bell is very well done.

The inlay of turquoise is nice and of course the mesquite does have a striking grain to it.

You deserve a big "atta-girl!"

Thanks for sharing these........nice pen also!

Dennis Ford
11-08-2010, 7:04 AM
Excellent work on all of those.

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 7:08 AM
Nice and varied selection there, Kathy!! Good work on all of them, but I particularly like the last bowl for form. The pistachio wins for character of the wood IMO.

Really cute bell! The ogee curves are tricky, and while I think a lot of variations work, it seems for me that when the concave area and the convex areas are the same length it is usually more pleasing. That formula will place the apex of both curves at about 1/3 from either end. On the bell, to me the concave area is a little abrupt, but still a very nice job.

James Combs
11-08-2010, 7:34 AM
A very busy gal. Some really nice turnings. My favorite would be no 4. It is very moving to look at.:rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
11-08-2010, 8:32 AM
Kathy, you do such beautiful work. Good job on all of these. I really enjoy seeing your creations. Keep them coming!:)

Jim Burr
11-08-2010, 8:46 AM
Well someone has been mighty busy! I can't pick a favorite...all are varied and excellent examples!

David E Keller
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
WOW... You've been busy. I like the form on the last mesquite bowl best, but that warping eucalyptus bowl is my overall favorite. I love the form it is assuming. All of the stuff looks great, but I can't quit looking at that eucalyptus bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Kathy you have been a busy turner. Those are all very nice turnings. I do like the mesquite bowl. I agree with you on the grain. Pen looks great.

charlie knighton
11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
very nice....