PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Bowl (from contest) Reloaded or take 2

Jon Lanier
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Feel free to 'let me have it' in critic. :rolleyes:

Okay Had problems loading .... I just renamed them and reloaded...

John Keeton
11-08-2010, 7:18 AM
Jon, when you do another thread using pics loaded previously, open SMC in two windows - one on your previous thread/post and the other with a new post. Simply "copy" the previously loaded thumbnail and "paste" it in the new post.

I liked this bowl a lot when it was posted. The wood is beautiful and shows well in the form you have used.

The rim treatment is nice. In this case, the bowl is thicker than one usually sees, but the rim treatment tends to mask that somewhat. If the rim were level and flat on top, it would accentuate the thickness.

For me, the area around the base seems to be a little "flatter" or even roll into the base/recess - and, that makes the bowl appear to have a larger base than it actually does. Starting a uniform curve right at the recess would probably provide a little lift to the bowl.

Dennis Ford
11-08-2010, 7:20 AM
Beautiful wood, great execution. Anyone could be proud of this bowl. I think the photo showing the profile view would have been better with the piece sitting on a hard surface, this shot makes the bottom look big. The bottom looks fine in the picture showing the bowl upside down.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-08-2010, 8:53 AM
Jon, great bowl and the wood is super. I do not know if you have been turning for a short time or not, but as I view the photos it appears that you stopped short on cutting the bowl interior deeper. I used to do this a lot when I first started. In your case It may be that you chose to go shallow for some reason or like I was just not sure how deep I could go without ruining the work. I have since become very dependent on a set of bowl capilers which help me get sides and bottom a consistent thickness. Once again a very nice bowl and one you can display with pride. Keep up the good work.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2010, 9:55 AM
Jon that is a great looking bowl and I love the burl.

Alan Trout
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I pretty much would echo Johns comments. The piece is a little heavy and the way the base was curled under doe not give the bowl the elevation it needs. This is one reason I always use tenons is because I can seen the final shape a little better than with a recess. But that is just the way I do it.

However I will tell you I really like the shape of the bowl along with the treatment you gave the lip or rim of the bowl. Of course that is also fantastic wood.

Overall well done.

Alan

Ray Bell
11-08-2010, 8:34 PM
I think it is very nice Jon. Beautiful wood.

Don Alexander
11-08-2010, 9:44 PM
thats a gorgeous piece of wood and i really like the rim

David E Keller
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I think it's a great looking bowl. I agree with Mr. Hartley about the appearance that the bottom is a little thick. I like the overall appearance of the bowl, but it looks like the inside could have been hollowed a bit deeper... Then again, that may just be a photo illusion. I'd happily display this one in my home.