PDA

View Full Version : Binks Air Assisted Airless

Glenn Frazer
11-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Binks Comet 4/12 pump, with a new 1600M binks gun, new hoses, 2 month old regulators and fluid intake hose.

My supplier had a warranty pump go in and came back brand new instead of a rebuild. While it was out the customer bought a new, bigger pump.
The regulators and some lines were used (but clean and cared for)

The price is about 2/3s the price of a complete new setup. (as well as setup help, an added bonus)

I was originally stuck on getting a full Kremlin setup, has anyone had any comparison or had experience with this air assisted airless system?

I will be using this to spray clears, mostly solvent based, but some thicker waterbased materials at times.

Scott Holmes
11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I have not used a Binks A-A Airless. They have a good reputation and I would say that's a good deal. I have a Graco A-A Airless and it is a dream to use. Welcome to the A-A Airless club, you will never want to touch an HVLP again.

Leo Graywacz
11-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I sure enjoy my Kremlin 10:14 AAA with the MVX Airmix gun. Such a nice difference over an HVLP gun.

I don't know anything about the Binks other than it is a quality name.

The Binks Comet 4/12 pump is designed to supply a variety of materials for airless and air-assisted airless spraying applications.
Name : Comet 4/12 bare pump
Part Number : 0114-016068

Family : Comet
Type : 2-Ball Piston Pump
Max Output Pressure : 3000 psi
Ratio : 12:1
Wetted Materials : SS fluid section, SS hard chrome coated pump rod
Air In : 100 psi (7 bar) 1/4" nptm and 1/4" npsm
Fluid In : 0114-013801 fluid inlet siphon tube adapter required
Fluid Out : 1/8 NPT(f)
Flow Curve : volume is 2.165 cu. in. (27cc)
Capacity : 0.4 gpm (1.5 ( lpm) at 60 cycles/minute
Accessories :
High Pressure Filter (0110-009130-1)

Kremlin 10:14

Compression ratio 10:1
Fluid volume per cycle 0.6 oz (18 cc)
Number of cycles per gallon 213
Maximum Air consumption at 30 cycles/min 1.6 scfm @ 87 psi (2.7 Nm³/hr @ 6 bar)
Fluid output at 30 cycles 0.14 gallon (0.53 liter)
Free flow rate 0.29 gallon/min (1.1 liter/minute)
Maximum air inlet pressure 87 psi (6 bar)
Maximum fluid pressure 870 psi (60 bar)
Maximum fluid temperature 140° F (60° C)
Sound level 80 dBA
Upper seal Stainless Steel cartridge with GT seal
Lower seal Perfluoroalkoxy Fluorocarbon cup seal
Pump construction Stainless Steel
Wetted parts Stainless Steel
Weight - wall-mounted pump 12 lbs. (5.5 kg)
Height - wall-mounted pump 16.0˝ (405 mm)
Width - wall-mounted pump 12.0˝ (305 mm)
Depth - wall-mounted pump 7.0˝ (178 mm)

Something sounds odd about the specs. It says it has a 12:1 ratio but says 100 PSI in equals 3000 PSI out which is a 30:1 ratio. This pump sounds more like a latex pusher for painting houses than a finishers pump. But I know it isn't.

Scott Holmes
11-08-2010, 9:52 AM
Leo,

The 100 PSI is AIR pressure not liquid pressure. These should be 2 separate pressures on an A-A Airless.

Leo Graywacz
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes, but the liquid pressure is developed by the air pressure. The ratios are usually contigent on the initial air pressure. The air pressure is usually dialed down to the 10-30 PSI range for the aircap. The liquid pressures are developed by the stated ratio between the air pressure and the final liquid pressure.

On my Kremlin if I dial the liquid pressure dial (really an air regulator) I have a 10:1 ratio. So if I set up the pressure to be 40 PSI on the gauge I am developing 400 PSI on the liquid.

So if the Binks has a 12:1 ratio and you set the pressure art 40 PSI the liquid pressure should be 480 PSI

Scott Holmes
11-08-2010, 4:11 PM
Well that's different from my Air-Assisted Airless; the air pressure and the liquid pressure are completely independent of each other.

I can use my A-A Airless and leave the A-A off, if I want to spray latex (I don't, but I can.) I usually adjust the airless (liquid pressure ranges from 400-PSI to 3600-PSI) then turn on the compressor part (range is 0 to 40 PSI) for the Air-Assist.

I guess systems are configured differently.

Leo Graywacz
11-08-2010, 5:03 PM
http://www.ochoamaquinaria.com/images/bombas/BOMBA%20KREMLIN%2010_14.jpg

Scott Holmes
11-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Leo,

How did you add the picture? I tried and it would not add a picture???

In mine the air and the fluid travel in different hoses to the gun.

Leo Graywacz
11-09-2010, 7:53 AM
I have an air line and a liquid line also. But as you can see n the photo there is a crossover line that connects the two regulators to the one air source. After that they are independent from each other. I assume that the Binks operates similar to the Kremlin in that there is some sort of an air motor that drives the pump that creates the liquid pressure.

There is a little icon next to the talk bubble that looks like a postcard. You use this to insert an image. You either need to use it to link to a picture or have a photo site that you can link to.

All it does is insert image tags http://blah blah blah.JPG at the beginning and end of the address of the image.

But you need a source to grab the picture from. I'm not sure but most forums allow you to upload pics to their server to display them. Usually in the advanced area under manage attachments. You can upload photos off your hard drive that way.

Jason Roehl
11-09-2010, 8:12 AM
Scott and Leo, you guys have differently operated systems.

Scott has the Graco A-A Airless, which is a traditional piston airless sprayer (electric motor connected to the piston pump) with an added compressed-air atomizer at the gun--the compressor being a small unit onboard the sprayer.

I'm not as familiar with Leo's setup, but his appears to be an air-driven pump. In other words, the compressed air drives the piston pump and provides the atomization air. The compressor is usually not included on these units to allow any motorized operation (the compressor) to be remote from the spray area, reducing spark/explosion hazards.

There are air-driven airless sprayers out there for heavy-duty fluids (industrial paints, like bridge paints and such), where the pump is air-driven at ratios up to something like 75:1, allowing for pressures up to about 7500 PSI. (They very well might go higher, I'm just not in that industry to know the particulars.) These units are strictly airless--no atomizing air.

Leo Graywacz
11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Kind of what I figured. So his is more of a modified Airless and mine is a dedicated Air Assisted Airless. Gotchya.

Yes, no electical sparks in the spray room.

Scott Holmes
11-09-2010, 8:27 PM
Sounds correct to me. I'm very happy with my setup. Maybe someday I'll get to compare the two different types.

Glenn Frazer
11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Well my pump is supposed to be installed tomorrow morning, can't wait, I have 7 pieces of a furniture and a fireplace mantle to test it out on.