PDA

View Full Version : Delta twin spindle horizontal boring machine

michael turner
11-07-2010, 9:06 PM
I own of of these machines, and for the most part like the way it works. I do however have a problem I need help with. It is pneumatic driven and I am not getting smooth motion into the bore, and it won't release when the foot pedal is release. Does anyone here have any experience with the pneumatics on this, or some similar machine?

Mike

Rick Lizek
11-08-2010, 6:04 AM
Have you been putting a few drops of oil in the feed line of the machine every several hours of operation or do you have water in your lines?? Does it have a regulator valve to control the in and out feed? You can add these if it doesn't (mcmaster) and clean out your lines and pistons and put a water filter and oiler on it.

michael turner
11-08-2010, 7:13 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. No I do not have an oiling system due to ignorance on my part.:( I bought this machine used, but it did not work right from day one and I have finally got tired of having to deal with it like it is. The foot pedal is supposed to have a regulator valve that works as follows. Press it one way and it pushes the piston to drive the boring head, press it the other to retract. Again, I am assuming here, but I thought that should work as the regulator.

How much oil, and what kind should I apply into the lines? Any help will be much appreciated.

Mike

Rick Lizek
11-09-2010, 5:27 AM
Air tool oil. A few drops in the line every few hours of use. It was possibly used with water in the lines and not oiled on a regular basis hence the sticking and hesitation. I was referring to a different kind of regulator to control the timing of the stroke. I would just over oil it a bit to see if that works out the kinks. Extra oil won't hurt anything and the wrong oil will ruin the seals. It's fixable.

I would guess that since you didn't know what kind of oil you never oiled it or even had a manual.

Norman Hitt
11-09-2010, 6:16 AM
Most likely, the Foot pedal operates a simple shuttle valve that is not a true regulator. It is possible however, that the outlet orfice on the retract side is smaller than the engage side orfice to reduce the volume of air flow on retraction to keep it from "Slamming" open. As mentioned, a good cleaning of all lines, valves and pistons and then proper oiling should get it going, unless the seals are worn too bad in the pistons and need to be changed. It would be good to know the recommended pressure for normal operation to maximize operation, yet minimize internal piston and valve wear.

michael turner
11-10-2010, 2:04 PM
Again, thanks for the replies. This machine has actually seen very little use either from me or the company that had it before. Water is a likely hood and Rick you are correct, I have not oiled it and do not have a manual for it.

I will oil it with air oil this afternoon and see what happens. Hopefully that will be enough. If not, it's time to learn the dissambley process for it!:(

Norman thank you for your reply as well. I am wonder if the time in storage between when it was taken from service and the time I finally got it hooked up could have been the culprit?

I will report back my findings.

Mike

Karl Brogger
11-10-2010, 4:08 PM
Castle machines are recommended to not be oiled. I don't know if this has any electronics in it, but it could cause issues.

I'd check with the manufacturer first myself.

I have a Delta line bore, and that does have electronic solenoids in it.

Rick Potter
11-11-2010, 1:32 AM
HEy Michael,

I just picked up one of these machines and am going through it now.

First, mine has an air control valve on the right side of the machine poking out of a hole in the chassis. Look for a brass fitting the size of a tire valve. There is a lock ring, and the valve knob. Loosen the ring, turn the valve counter clockwise for more pressure. Cleaning it might be a good idea too.

Secondly, search on line for 'Delta machinery manuals'. This will lead you to a site where you can download the manual for this machine. I just did.

Mine didn't want to do a full stroke either. The rubber covers over the guide rods were rotten, so I cut them off and cleaned them with WD40. They were not rusty, but had some gunk on them. After about 20 cycles the stroke was fine. I still have to put some oil in the line, but I need to buy some. The foot pedal has nothing to do with adjusting air flow.

You do need to have enough air to make it operate correctly..it needs 90PSI.

Hope this helps

Rick Potter

michael turner
11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Rick I have bigger problems now than I thought. I went to the shop, oiled the line, only to feel and hear air blowing. The poly tubing on the machine is now breaking and so far I have found 4 breaks. I am going to just replace it and while doing that will do a comple cleaning. The bellows on this machine were not there when I got it, but the rods are not rusted or even gunky. Thanks for the heads up on the manual link.

Mike