PDA

View Full Version : Walnut HF

Bill Bolen
11-07-2010, 5:48 PM
Kind of smallish at 7"X5" tall but it wanted to be something! 5 coats of DO and buffed. Small spalted maple feature ring inlaid...Bill...

Josh Bowman
11-07-2010, 5:51 PM
William,
Thats some pretty wood. The shape is interesting. I'm still thinking about the top, not something you see everyday. The spaulted maple is great.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 6:00 PM
William, Very nice and unique I love the treatment. Good work!:)

Ted Evans
11-07-2010, 6:10 PM
Beautiful wood and finish William, nice job. I would like to see a little more curve in the neck section but that is coming from one that has absolutely no artistic talent, so give that opinion all it deserves. :( Ted

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2010, 6:13 PM
That is a really nice piece Bill. Nice wood, inlay and form.

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2010, 6:13 PM
Excellent! Seriously!!!

Beautiful wood - fantastic form! You really nailed this one! Thanks for sharing!

charlie knighton
11-07-2010, 6:15 PM
very nice.....

John Keeton
11-07-2010, 6:48 PM
Bill, very nice work on this one! Beautiful piece of walnut.

I am curious on the inlay ring - did you part off the very top portion, lay on a disk of the maple, and then glue back on the parted piece? Or....?

David E Keller
11-07-2010, 7:05 PM
Nicely done. The form is pretty unique, and I love the addition of the maple band. Very nice looking finish as well.

David DeCristoforo
11-07-2010, 7:08 PM
Really nice, Bill. I too am curious about the inlay. I hope you are going to tell us it's a stacked ring because inlaying a band on a curved surface like that would be a real trick!

James Combs
11-07-2010, 7:10 PM
Bill, very nice work on this one! Beautiful piece of walnut.

I am curious on the inlay ring - did you part off the very top portion, lay on a disk of the maple, and then glue back on the parted piece? Or....?

Ditto John's question. Actually appears to be a removable top in the photo's.:confused: I am currently working on a walnut burl NE. It just go out of a DNA bath.
Very nice finish BTW.

Bill Bolen
11-07-2010, 7:28 PM
You were right on John. The story "really" goes like this. The piece was solid Walnut but with the 7/8" mouth and long reach to the shoulder I realized none of my boring bars would reach and still give me a 1/4" wall. I was almost done when I figured that one out. So, I laid on a tapered curf and cut away the upper mouth which left a big hole to reach those shoulders. Cut a maple ring and glued that in. turned the ring to shape and glued the original upper mouth back into place. I've got to admit that big hole sure made life easier hollowing to a decent thickness...Bill...

Baxter Smith
11-07-2010, 7:37 PM
Very pretty Bill. With the ring and shape, it has an out of the ordinary look to it. Haven't done many HF's but I seem to be pretty good at creating a shape on the outside that I then can't get to on the inside. Will have to remember your solution!:)

John Keeton
11-07-2010, 8:14 PM
Thanks, Bill! I have considered all the ways to do a ring inlay, and didn't like any of them - I like this one!

Josh Bowman
11-07-2010, 8:33 PM
William,
Is this how you did this one in your gallery?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?pictureid=2102&albumid=94&dl=1255479386&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=94&pictureid=2102)
So if I understand correctly you cut a channel or kerf around the HF and then cut the mouh out, in that channel? Then use the band of maple to fill the channel and hide the cut?

Ron Bontz
11-07-2010, 8:54 PM
When you do this, do you leave the unit in the chuck and then turn the ring in another chuck? Exquisite as always.

Jim Burr
11-07-2010, 10:05 PM
That's some chunk of walnut Bill. Not sure about the collar, but the inlay is really a nice touch...gotta figure those out!

Bill Bolen
11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Josh, yep same thing. I forgot about that one. Guess I better up date the gallery too...Bill..

Curt Fuller
11-08-2010, 5:19 PM
Wow, that's very pretty!