PDA

View Full Version : Delta BOSS OSS Problem

Jerry Solomon
11-07-2010, 5:41 PM
I have a BOSS OSS machine (31-780X) that was purchased in 1999. It has seen very little use. I turned it on today and noticed it was a little noisy. I turned it over on its side and noted that the plastic gear cover had somehow broken off leaving the gears exposed. I ordered a new cover from Delta today. The owner's manual is a little vague on lubrication. What kind of grease would be appropriate and should I pack the cover completely full?

Jim Becker
11-07-2010, 6:39 PM
I've never looked inside of mine, but I suspect, like with most woodworking tools, that you'll want to use a lubricant that will not "collect" dust if there is any chance of exposure.

mickey cassiba
11-07-2010, 6:58 PM
Jerry
The factory installed lube, is pretty thick and gooey. Really not what you want in a dusty situation. It would be better to leave the cover off(to facilitate cleaning) and lube with graphite or another "dry lube". The cover just holds dust and debris.
Mick

Jerry Solomon
11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think that the cover has been off for a while as the machine has sounded a little noisy to me for a while. One of the gears is plastic and the other appears to be metal (brass?). I'll need to find a lubricant that is compatible with non-metallic gears.