PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat and a Homemade Steadyrest

Nate Davey
11-07-2010, 4:51 PM
My buddy stopped by with some Maple he had just cut and gave me a few chunks. I cut one up and found a whole bunch of greyish/purple stains through it. Such a shame as it was a nice piece of wood, so I burned it.

I wanted a steady rest for some upcoming projects. I saw some of the homemade ones and decided that was what I wanted to do. It's not professional grade and I made a couple cutting errors, but it's tight and the wheels spin freely. The most expensive part was the 12 pack of Coors Lite for my buddy who operates a Shopbot. Wheels I got out off some old rollerblades from Play it Again Sports for $20 and have 4 more for a buddy of mine. Can't wait to start using it.

P.S. Just kidding about burning the Ambrosia Maple.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 4:58 PM
You did WHAT???:eek::eek: Burned it? :confused::confused:
Are you insane or am I??:D:D
By the way real nice Steady rest!:)

Paul Douglass
11-07-2010, 5:47 PM
That gray rotten wood not worth turning anyway. I'm low on firewood, if you haven't burned it all, I'd burn a stick or two for you!

I like you tool rest! Did you have plans?

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2010, 6:02 PM
Congrats on some nice wood and a pretty good looking steady.

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2010, 6:11 PM
Nice steady rest! Congrats on that great looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

charlie knighton
11-07-2010, 6:18 PM
nice steady, you had me going with the burning comment, nice wood haul :D

Nate Davey
11-07-2010, 6:33 PM
That gray rotten wood not worth turning anyway. I'm low on firewood, if you haven't burned it all, I'd burn a stick or two for you!

I like you tool rest! Did you have plans?

I followed this guys description and pictures. http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/SteadRest.htm

The OD of the ring is 16" and 1.5" thick, all 3/4 plywood.

James Combs
11-07-2010, 7:26 PM
Looks like a good steady and you made some improvements over the original plans (the fourth wheel). A good looking haul on the wood.

Bill Bolen
11-07-2010, 7:31 PM
I sure hope the paramedic's got to Chris in time!! Nice steady and they sure make a difference. Enjoy. Now fess up before we all start crying..You didn't reallllllly burn it did you!...Bill...

David E Keller
11-07-2010, 7:34 PM
Nicely done on the steady, and congrats on the ambrosia firewood.

Baxter Smith
11-07-2010, 7:39 PM
Great looking firewood! I have enjoyed seeing some of the charred work here recently!;) That steady should work just as well as a metal one! Good job!

Nate Davey
11-07-2010, 7:52 PM
Looks like a good steady and you made some improvements over the original plans (the fourth wheel). A good looking haul on the wood.

Truth be told, it was easier to lay out the 4 armed steady than the three, wasn't very good at geometry.

Bill, no I did not burn the AM, it's like a rare find for me. All I had to do was trade one of the guys at work some rocks for it. Sweet deal.

Greg Bender
11-07-2010, 8:29 PM
Nate,
good work on the steady rest,hey if you need some ambrosia maple or firewood in general you need to come inland and we will fix you right up.Getting ready to cut some big ones down next weekend ,maple ,black walnut and some pecan are on the menu.Let me know if we can help you out.
Greg

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 9:01 PM
I sure hope the paramedic's got to Chris in time!! Nice steady and they sure make a difference. Enjoy. Now fess up before we all start crying..You didn't reallllllly burn it did you!...Bill... Bill, once those paramedics got the IV in then things started to clear up. I can't believe these guys take the burning of our sustenance so lightly. This sure isn't the old generation of Creekers.

Nate Davey
11-07-2010, 9:30 PM
Well, I've just added "burning Ambrosia Maple" to my list of things not to joke about:).

Greg,

Thanks for the offer, need to look at Google Maps and see where Moorseville is. I have a sawmill near by that I have lots of credit at, gave him a chainsaw and midi lathe. He has plenty of Cherry, Walnut and Oaks, it's Maple and any of the colorful wood that's a little harder to come by.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 9:37 PM
Well, I've just added "burning Ambrosia Maple" to my list of things not to joke about:)...Easy Nate, just having some fun with you. he...he:D

Rob Sitze
11-08-2010, 4:22 PM
Nate, we have a larger maple to cut down soon, hopefully it has as much ambrosia in it also.