PDA

View Full Version : New tool gloat....

Fred Perreault
11-07-2010, 4:12 PM
Okay, okay....... I have the tool, I have the pics, I have some pent up euphoria. The work I have been doing for Sam Adams Boston Brewery has gone from plates, to platters to cutting boards. Soooo, I am getting tired of trying to get 3 sizes of cutting boards flat and nice looking with a belt sander and ROS. This weekend I went to the Rhode Island Woocraft store and picked me up a Jet 16-32 drum sander. I did research the whole idea and choices for the past 2-3 weeks. I settled on the Jet because of the price, reviews, and size for my humble little shop. The only problem is that it does a terrible job sanding bowls and platters...... :)
By the way, the Jet came with a CD or DVD with the operators manual and some videos on it. However, it will not play on my computer, and I cannot find any file anywhere on the disc to get it to play. I consider myself an advanced computer user, but this is baffling me. Anybody else have a problem like this with the newest Jet 16-32??
thanks

Josh Bowman
11-07-2010, 4:18 PM
Go here and you can download the manual:
http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/man_629004K.pdf

Andrew Kertesz
11-07-2010, 5:23 PM
Do you have Quicktime installed on your computer? You can get a free copy from Apple. It could be that it is a DVD and you only have a CD player, they are NOT interchangeable. Stick it in the home DVD player and see what happens.

Philip Rodriquez
11-08-2010, 9:08 AM
What, no casters! :p

Bill Huber
11-08-2010, 9:22 AM
That is a nice looking sander, I just wish I had the room for one, I think it would be great.

On you DVD,

Is it a DVD or CD ?

Do you have a movie of any type on DVD that you play on your home TV ?

If you have a movie DVD try and play it on the computer and make sure you have a DVD player on the PC.

Just because you have a DVD unit in the PC does not mean you have a DVD player.

Greg Portland
11-08-2010, 5:06 PM
By the way, the Jet came with a CD or DVD with the operators manual and some videos on it. However, it will not play on my computer, and I cannot find any file anywhere on the disc to get it to play. I consider myself an advanced computer user, but this is baffling me. Anybody else have a problem like this with the newest Jet 16-32??You are probably missing the DVD -software-. DVD software requires certain decoders & codecs that operating system manufacturers (Microsoft, etc.) can not include due to licensing issues. You can download those codecs so your windows media player works correctly: http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html?tag=mncol;4

Fred Perreault
11-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks all for the help. I said that I consider myself an advanced computer user. The flip side of that is the fact that I am a lot older now, and my memory and other things don't work so well anymore. Turns out that when I reinstalled Windows 3 weeks ago.... yes, I did not re-install my favorite DVD viewer, and I don't use/install Windows Media Player. When that was pointed out to me so nicely by the Creekers, I resolved the issue and then watched the very dated, very poor video quality, poorly presented Jet Performax propaganda pitch. Fortunately, the Jet 16-32 drum sander is all I could ask for, and a good bit more. I have run several species through the unit, and it purrs like a kitten, and puts a great finished surface on with #80 grit and #120 grit paper. The drum to table was aligned properly, and it has ample power and straight belt tracking. I am in love....
Fred