PDA

View Full Version : help with river birch

Lewis Ehrhardt
11-07-2010, 4:03 PM
I have several river birch sticks. They are about 5-6 inches diameter and 3 feet long, cut two days ago, bark still on.
I'm new to turning, have a Craftsman Midi lathe with an extension.

If anyone can give me some suggestions on what I can expect to make from these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Lewis

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 5:04 PM
How about some Lidded Boxes or bowls? Candle sticks, Bonker.:)

Jim Burr
11-07-2010, 5:20 PM
Birch is very soft so dig right in!! I used lot's of it years ago and it was a fun wood to "learn" on. Should be a good wood to try anything out of!

Bill Bolen
11-07-2010, 5:43 PM
Leave it bit outside for a few months, that stuff spalts like crazy and really fast too. Check often though it will get punky fast also...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2010, 6:17 PM
Lewis - seeing as how you are new to turning - I would suggest that you use this wood to learn on! Green wood (freshly cut wood) is a lot easier to turn but it does tend to crack once it starts drying out.

If you have a particular project in mind - that's one thing - but if you have the wood and are still trying to figure things out - then use it to practice on and learn how to use your tools.

There's always more wood! Just have fun!

David E Keller
11-07-2010, 7:42 PM
There's all kinds of stuff you could make from end grain boxes and hollow forms to candle sticks and small bowls. You might want to cut some of it into spindle blanks and just work on beads, coves, etc.

You're obligated to make a bonker at some point and post photos.