PDA

View Full Version : Hf 3

Jim Burr
11-07-2010, 2:11 PM
This one was actually fun. Old block of Spalted curly Maple with some beetle juice here and there. With the exception of the neck which ended up stupid thin (don't ask...it really was stupid) Walls are an even 1/4". The Bottom 1.5" was left in for ballast. 6"x3.5" with 1.25" bottom. Finish is 4 coats of Mylands and 2 coats of Renwax applied with 4-0 steel wool. Since I don't have a steady rest (I will very soon!!!!) the going was real slow but it did move right along. Hope you guys enjoy it:D! C & C wanted!!;)

Robert McGowen
11-07-2010, 2:24 PM
That is a very nice piece of wood. Your finishes are always well done, as is this one.

The shape, for me anyway, seems proportionally too tall for the rest of the vase and looks a little out of balance.

George Guadiane
11-07-2010, 3:00 PM
Jim,
I don't think the piece is necessarily too tall, I think it might just be too "lanky." Obviously, a nice piece of wood and the finish is great, but from the shoulder to the foot is almost a straight line. If there had been a more ample curve, it would have looked better to me. Straight lines stretch things out, in my eyes.

John Keeton
11-07-2010, 3:36 PM
Jim, I do agree with the need for some curve to the sides, but I will say you have done a very nice job of execution on this one. Nice wood, very good finish, and I don't think the neck is too thin at all.

David DeCristoforo
11-07-2010, 3:47 PM
Actually I kind of like the "straight sidedness" (is that a word?). The wood is, of course, lovely but so is the form. It is very well proportioned.

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 3:51 PM
wowzers That is some really nice wood. I dont Turn at all so I know very little abought what your doing. Some coments have been made on how to improve it. so If you dont mind I will share what I see while there is nothing wrong with it I my have made the base just a touch wider i say this because it almost looks a little top heavy over the complete piece. It is some pretty awsome work though someday im going to have a lathe im hoping around the first of the year. I hear it a pretty slippery slope but hey they all are im just looking to add another skill set..... Man thats some awsome wood....

Jim Burr
11-07-2010, 3:54 PM
Jim,
I don't think the piece is necessarily too tall, I think it might just be too "lanky." Obviously, a nice piece of wood and the finish is great, but from the shoulder to the foot is almost a straight line. If there had been a more ample curve, it would have looked better to me. Straight lines stretch things out, in my eyes.

Due to the fact I'm a lousy picture taker:o there is a small flat spot I didn't notice until you mentioned it George. it's about an inch from the bottom. I rocked it on a flat surface and it stuck there. Good point to keep in mind next time!

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2010, 4:01 PM
Jim - looks pretty good to me for #3! Just be aware of using a continuous curve and make sure your transition areas maintain that curve. The rest of it - form, proportions, foot size, opening size - are meant to be experimented with to find what works for you.

I like the foot size on this one but, personally, would have made the opening about 1/2 the size it is but that's just me.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-07-2010, 5:23 PM
Jim, I'm with David. I like the form the way it is. I may be the odd man out, but when I traveled, I would often stay in some pretty nice hotels that had a variety of art works being shown in their lobbies. I always found the ones that did not necessarily conform to the "Rules" to be the most interesting. Judging from the prices some of them boasted they were not lacking desirability. Keep up the good work but it would be wise to heed what the others say as well. Just don't loose the creative personalized touch.:)

David E Keller
11-07-2010, 7:50 PM
I think it's nice... I tend to like tall forms like this. I would like to see a smaller opening, but that's just my personal taste. You're on a roll with these hollow thingies.