PDA

View Full Version : Disston and WS saws

Mark Baldwin III
11-07-2010, 1:39 PM
My dad has had these saws hanging in the basement forever, they were my grampa's. As I want to learn to sharpen my own saws, he said "go ahead, take 'em." A closer inspection revealed one to be a Disston (on top in the picture) and the other has a Warranted Superior medallion (which may, or may not have been made by Disston).
That complicates matters for me. These are clearly high quality pieces, so I want to do it right the first time.
Each saw is 26", crosscut pattern, one has 6ppi, the other is 8ppi.
Any opinion as to what step one should be for bringing these guys back to life? The Disston does have some warping in the blade. There was a thread here recently that I will have to review on that topic.

Paul Incognito
11-07-2010, 1:52 PM
I felt the same way the first time I sharpened a saw. It's not that difficult at all. You can find basic instructions at vintagesaws.com and probably 100 other sites.
Learning to sharpen opens a whole new dimension in rust hunting, I've bought lots of 1 and 2$ saws that with 30-60 minutes work, turned out to be great users.
PI

lowell holmes
11-07-2010, 1:52 PM
Bob can speak for himself, but he has two articles addressing the issue.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/tRestore/saw/sawsRestore-index.asp

Mark Baldwin III
11-07-2010, 2:35 PM
I believe I've read some of Bob's other articles, but hadn't seen that one before. Thanks! I have the Disston broken down and ready for some cleaning. I can just make out a little of the etch in the blade, and I want to see if it is just hiding under some corrosion or if it's gone forever.