PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on large tree slices (not basswood)

Mike vonBuelow
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Ok, so I'm walking out for lunch and I see a picup truck with 20"-24" slices of tree in the back from some guy doing cleanup from his farm probably.
So I naturally think to myself "well I've read a lot of great posts on SMC about project ideas with basswood, but there's a BIGGER and BETTER idea that might SELL for more"

What all do I need to be cautious of?

Can I use any type of tree?

Is there a drying time involved?

Will my laser ignite sap?

Do I need to post this question in the evil woodworkers forum? :eek:

Michael Hunter
11-07-2010, 2:43 PM
What all do I need to be cautious of?

Dropping big bits of tree on your toes.

Can I use any type of tree??

ONLY wooden ones.

Is there a drying time involved??

If its damp with sap, then you will need to leave it for quite a while to dry out.
You will likely get big cracks in the wood as it dries.
Hardwood air-dries at the rate of 1" thickness per year. Since yours has been cut across the grain, it will probably dry a bit more quickly.
Forced drying will make the inevitable cracks much worse.
To reduce the cracking, paint the cut end grain with hot wax - this make drying much slower (years), but reduces the cracking.

Will my laser ignite sap??

Nope.

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2010, 4:06 PM
Agree with Michael. I have done green wood, and there has been no issue with sap flaming but you will get discoloration from it flowing around where the beam hits. The real issue though is the cracking when it dries, you have to treat it as you would any raw wood to be used in woodworking.

Mike vonBuelow
11-07-2010, 9:10 PM
So, cut now - wait 1-2 years to dry, resume enthusiasm?

If it's a dead tree, is my waiting time reduced?

And how do I tell when a piece of wood is fully dried?

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2010, 9:23 PM
If it's been dead a while, you may save time. You should be able to tell when you slice it, but it may be worth buying a moisture meter, they are down below $50 for decent ones now.

Bill Cunningham
11-07-2010, 11:48 PM
If it's sliced, it will dry faster! I found that 8-10 inch ones in maple dry fairly well in 4-5 months.. Then I sand them smooth, and lacquer the side I intend to engrave on, and the bark. The back I leave alone so the wood can breath..

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-08-2010, 12:42 AM
I used to make clocks from tree slices. Oak, Pine, Maple.

HEre is the thing. When it dries it has a chance to crack and split no matter how careful you are with it. Here is what I did.

1. Picked out green pieces that looked like good prospects.
2. Let them air dry covered for 6 months to a year.
3 bring them in the shop and let them condition for a couple of months.

Now all the slices that did not develop cracks may be useable for projects such as clocks or other woodworking projects. The rest became fire wood. At this point you could probably engrave them. What I did is stor them away for another 6 months.

Mike vonBuelow
11-08-2010, 6:57 AM
Great info! Thanks all!

I was thinking 2"-3" thicknesses -

Does that present a problem?

Ron Hartl
11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
There is a lot of info on wood drying in the "turners forum"