PDA

View Full Version : What does the liquid bleach receptacle on a washing machine do?

Stephen Tashiro
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
My top loading washing machine has a receptacle on the top for liquid bleach. I've often wondered what it does. Does it simply cause the bleach to go into the very bottom of the water reservoir below the tub so that the bleach doesn't hit the clothes directly?

Johnny Kleso
11-07-2010, 2:55 PM
Not sure what it does but I have used it for 10 years and never had an issue..

I always add some water to it as if you put dirty clothes in on next load it can get bleach on them...

I thought it mixed with water coming out but going to bottom would be better :)

Dan Hintz
11-07-2010, 3:05 PM
Johnny got it... it makes sure it mixes in with water rather than dumping it directly on dry clothes... which never ends well for the clothes.

Tom Winship
11-07-2010, 5:02 PM
Funny how we go along with things isn't it? Pour bleach in a receptacle and assume it is going to the right place. I have done the same thing many times, hoping it was going into the water, below the tub level. There could be a 100 gallon bleach storage tank in the washer, and I would be just as happy.
Going through the country the other day and saw a pasture gate with a big sign. "KEEP GATE CLOSED". It was open.

Phil Thien
11-07-2010, 7:02 PM
I don't use bleach. I really don't care if my socks aren't blindingly white, as long as they're clean.

Russ Filtz
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't trust those things. I pour the bleach directly into the water, wait a good while to get some dilution going, then toss in clothes. If you're only bleaching whites, you don't need to worry so much about full dilution before tossing the clothes in.